SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 02:13 PM   #1
Digital
Digital is on a distinguished road

Default What is a good car wax / polish to use on a Saturn

I will soon be the owner of a new 2001 Saturn SC2 Yellow this Saturday!! Before I pick it up, I was curious what is the best wax to use on the car? I have used DuraShine on my 82 Camaro in the past and it does pretty well.

I really like DuraShine because it is less work than conventional wax, you don't get white pasty marks, and it sheets the water, not beads.

Because the body is plastic, should I use a different wax? I will probally put the DuraShine on it unless someone has a better suggestion. I read a recent Consumer Reports, and it rates the Prestone Bulletwax pretty high. DuraShine was not tested.

Any suggestions to a soon-to-be Saturn owner?

Jason
http://surf.to/them/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Digital's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Digital reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2000, 07:46 PM   #2
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default What is a good car wax/polish for a Saturn

Jason

If you do not get any replies to your question (and even if you do) you should do a search
on the board (click on the search at the top of the page), because this is a Frequently Asked Question. There was a thread about waxing as recently as last week. You might also want to search on "wash" or "washing", for more hits.

Welcome, and congratulations on your new Saturn! You may also wish to do a search on Yellow because that special edition Yellow SC2 has been the subject of a lot of posts. It is the hotest model right now!

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2000, 08:02 AM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default What is a good car wax

well i've tried nufinish, autofom, saturn, maguiars, and prolong wax on my old 92 sc and new 96 sc2 and the maguiars gold class wax seemed to be the most noticible as far as shine. my 92 was bluegreen and my 96 is red so they are both dark colors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2000, 08:03 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2

well i've tried nufinish, autofom, saturn, maguiars, and prolong wax on my old 92 sc and new 96 sc2 and the maguiars gold class wax seemed to be the most noticible as far as shine. my 92 was bluegreen and my 96 is red so they are both dark colors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2000, 08:03 AM   #5
eRic 02sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2000, 04:33 PM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default What is a good car wax to use on a Saturn

I switched in the past year from the regular Meguires (maroon bottles) to the Gold Class products and have been very happy with them. Two Saturn retailers have told me in the past that they use Meguires products (unspecified) also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2000, 06:32 PM   #7
markb
markb is on a distinguished road

Default car waxes

Meguiar's Gold Class for ease of application, shine, and durability. I wandered last week and picked up a $10 bottle of the new RainX car wax. It's not as good and streaks easily, causing more labor to towel them out. Their windshield products are great, but not the wax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2000, 11:46 PM   #8
greenLS1
greenLS1 is on a distinguished road

Another vote for Meguiars Gold Class!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2000, 07:14 AM   #9
Schu
Schu is on a distinguished road

Default Meguires

I vote for Meguires too. It's worked very well for me over the years. Don't use the wax with cleaners unless you really need it.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Schu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Schu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #10
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Here's a Consumer Reports review of waxes if you are a member. They rate Zymöl Cleaner Wax the best, but it costs $16 a bottle.Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Liquid is rated well and only goes for $3.06 a bottle. Those are 2000 prices, so all are probably more now.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1053075568306

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2003, 06:21 AM   #11
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

I use mother's for wax. Meguires for quick clean ups, 3M for protectant, and Eagle car wash... I also use cloth baby diapers on my paint surface. You can use them over and over. Just throw in the washer, add soap, NO bleach or fabric softener. Throw in the dryer. NO fabric softener sheet. Or just hang to dry. I sometimes do that.. I need to wash mine..

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Used mothers 3 step "program" last week and it work really well. I had neglected the waxing since the baby was born 2 years ago and the swirl marks were bad. Used the deep cleaner the sealer then the paste carnuba wax. All by mothers and must say it looks brand new. I'm quite impressed.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Meguairs gold class products here.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2003, 01:16 AM   #14
coupe-eh
coupe-eh is on a distinguished road

I was wondering the answer to the original question about polish/wax and this thread was very helpful. I will try the Maguire's products which have recently been picked up by Canadian Tire. There are significant swirl marks in my clear coat ... will update on this experience later ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coupe-eh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coupe-eh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2003, 01:24 AM   #15
Medicman
Medicman is on a distinguished road

I either use Mothers carnuba wax, or Maguire's carnuba wax. I only use those two types on my vehicles, and have for years. Speaking of which, it's about time for my yearly ritual:

Listening to the Indy 500 on the radio while washing and waxing my car.

You can take the boy outta Indiana, but you can't take some parts of Indiana outta the boy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medicman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medicman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:51 PM   #16
Snowboarder2757
Snowboarder2757 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I would go with Mothers...It is a very good product

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Snowboarder2757's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Snowboarder2757 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:04 AM   #17
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

If you've got swirl marks you need to try to remove them before you wax. I've used Meguiar's Scratch X Scratch and Swirl Remover on older cars. There are also similar products on the market.

I've used Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat wax for years and it comes in either a hard or liquid wax. I also use their Quick Detailer Mist and Wipe to help remove blemishes between waxing. For more info on Meguiar's go to www.meguiars.com to take a look at their products and request a catalog.

Laurence

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:01 PM   #18
Anubis
Anubis is on a distinguished road

I use Meguiars line. Every year I take off everything with the paint cleaner.... then I use the clear coat polish... then carnuba wax and finally gold class wax. Its a lot of work but the blue really stands out. The 6 month wax is just carnuba and gold class. Now if only I could stop people from hitting my rear end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anubis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anubis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:58 AM   #19
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

mothers, makes my car nice and shinny. (sp?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 02:47 AM   #20
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell for the wax, and Meguiar's Quik Detailer for quick touch ups.

Markb, thanx for the tip on the RainX wax. I was about to try that stuff out before reading your post. I'll stick to my old standard - Turtle Wax.

Never really been impressed with NuFinish, Rally, ArmorAll, or Blue Coral (wax/polish) Products.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread