SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

Wrench Do It Yourself Headliner

First off, I have never pulled the headliner out of a Saturn, so one of the Saturn techs will have to chime in to tell how to remove the old headliner. As you remove the headliner, be very careful with it, because you will need to reuse the liner. A couple of yards of material of your choice and spray adhesive, a roll of waxed paper, and some scissors are needed. You will also need a clean work table or bench to layout the work on.

After you have removed your headliner from the car, peel off the material from the liner. Chances are that you are replacing your headliner because it is already falling apart, so it should be easy to get the old material off. Use a stiff brush (I forgot to mention this in things you need) to clean off the the surface of the liner. You want it clean enough that the glue will stick and not pull off.

Now lay the liner down on the table with the side that faces the interior up. Cut out your material to hang over the edges by 1-2 inches all the way around. Now fold the material over in half. You can go length wise or side to side, it won't matter. Spray adhesive on the first 8 - 12 inches of the liner, and on an equal amount of the material right adjacent to the liner. Follow directions on your adhesive for drying. Now layout enough wax paper to cover the glue on the liner. Carefully unfold the first part of the headliner material so that the wax paper is between the liner and the material. once everythiong is lined up where you want it, pull out the wax paper, and press the material into it. Now spray the next 8-12 inches of liner and material. After the glue has set according to the instructions on the can, put wax paper over the glue on the liner, and unfold the next section of material. When everything is lined up and straight, pull out the wax paper and press the material into the liner. Continue gluing 8-12 inches at a time until you get to the edge. Let the excess hang over for now. Fold the unglued side of the headliner material over the side that has been glue already. Now repeat the same steps on the other side being careful to keep everything straight and tight. At this time your headliner should be nice and tight and straight with 1-2 inches hanging over all four sides. Now turn the headliner over. Carefully cut the corners of the material so it will neatly fold around the corner. Spray glue on the overhanging material and an equal area of the liner. Let the glue set up as instructed, and then pull the material over tight on the liner. Do all four sides, carefully folding the corners (if you have a curve to go around instead of a 90* corner, you will need to make a series of cuts to fold it around the corner). Now check the back side for any holes for interior lights, etc., and using a razor blade or utility knife, cut an "X" in the center of the opening. Now glue and fold back the pieces of material you have cut. Anywhere you need to put in a screw, like sunvisors just cut a small "x" where the screw needs to go. I think this pretty much covers it. If you have an early Saturn with a shot headliner, you can do this for less than $30.00 probably.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
jcruz12
jcruz12 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy new headliner

i did mine the same way but didn't use waxpaper. would that make a difference because my headliner is now sagging? would i have to buy new material or can i reuse the the same stuff?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcruz12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcruz12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

The wax paper is just to help you control the headliner to keep it tight as you iinstall it without getting glue where you don't want it. If it is sagging, I would suspect that some of the old adhesive didn't get cleaned off good enough. The new adhesive probably adhered to the old glue, and then the old glue peeled away. If you can get your material offwithout damage, you should be able to clean up the area where it is sagging and reglue it. I think I would see if the sagging area is near an edge and peel from whichever edge is closest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
BuzzStPoint
BuzzStPoint is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just did mine in my 91 saturn.

I peeled off the covering, then peeled off the 1st layer of the fiberboard. If you do the headliner this way make sure you wear some gloves and a long sleeve.

My arms are iching from the fiberglass board.

Other than that good intructions. I didn't use the waxed paper either. Just went about 8-12 inches at a time.

Info:
  • Headliner (fabric store) $14.00
  • 3M spray adhesive for foam. 12.00
  • Wire grill brush 2.00
  • Total cost: $28.00
  • Time: 1-2 hours
  • Diffaculty: 4 (Scale 1-10 (10 hardest))

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuzzStPoint's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuzzStPoint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

I removed my entire liner last year and tossed it out. I used dynamat (or similar) to cover the entire roof structure, and this week I'll finish it using headliner material (the sponge/fabric combo). Pics should be up end of week or next week. The whole car will be dynamatted cuz it ratles like none other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

bah, I just ruined almost $100 worth of materials, cuz the headliner material folded on itself and the glue stuck to itself immediately, and the material was RUINED. like a mook I should have used waxed paper and asked for some help... that's what you get for wanting to do everything yourself. grrrr

that's $100 CDN, $51 for material, and a gallon of contact cement $40 (yes, A GALLON)

going at it again today

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Then you bought completely the wrong stuff..

Once can of this:
3Mô Polystyrene Foam Insulation 78 Spray Adhesive

Then about 16 bucks of headliner material from a fabric store..

The can of spray, I only used 1/2 of the can. The right kind of spray for this will spray out in like a spider web fashon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BuzzStPoint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #8
r_o__
r_o__ is on a distinguished road

what did you guys use as material, i'm doing mine soon and since i spray painted my ugly beige interior black , i',m thinking a black vinale or how ever the damn thing is spelled, to match my new to me interior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to r_o__'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help r_o__ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
savage
savage is on a distinguished road

i've though about maby cutting out "saturn" out of cardboard and sticking it to the fiberglass then put the fabric over that and have a "custom" headliner

94 SL1 wrecked

95 SL2 New project ride. Nx wet kit, ooh yeah.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to savage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help savage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
savage

i've though about maby cutting out "saturn" out of cardboard and sticking it to the fiberglass then put the fabric over that and have a "custom" headliner

94 SL1 wrecked

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help savage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #11
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Stop at any ulpolstry shop or fabric store and ask if they have headliner material.

If they dont know what that is ask for foam backed fabrick. no thicker then 1/4 inch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
r_o__
r_o__ is on a distinguished road

hey savage if you want the saturn logo on your headliner do it with thin foam then you have to cut the edges at a 45 degree angle for it to be smooth,,,,,,,lol saw it done on horsepower tv...they did flames looked freakin nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to r_o__'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help r_o__ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
savage

good idea ro

94 SL1 wrecked

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #14
BuzzStPoint

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your good at a sewing maching you can draw out your design and put a piece of cardboard with extra foam then stitch the headliner with a custom logo.

Those look real nice..

Or Savages would be nice also to glue a design on the headliner to have is 'bulge' the headliner when you put it on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #15
DaytonaSL2
DaytonaSL2 is on a distinguished road

Checkered Flag Re: Do it yourself headliner

I am sorry but I am not able to hndle this, I am not handy enough. Through Saturn of Daytona they want $160.00 for the headliner installed on my 99 Saturn SL 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaytonaSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaytonaSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 PM   #16
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Do it yourself headliner

Has anyone tried the "Heads-Up" headliner replacement kit?

So, for the original 'sagging' headliner in the Saturn, do we just tore out the old fabric(Color cloth) only?

Asking because I see there's some 'dark foam' material under the color cloth. Should that layer be removed too, how so?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #17
DaytonaSL2
DaytonaSL2 is on a distinguished road

I am going to get a new one from Saturn I think

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaytonaSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaytonaSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I reupholstered (sp?) the headliner in my SW last year myself. There wasn't anything wrong with it, I was changing the interior color from tan to grey. Its really easy. Just find a fabric shop and buy the correct color fabric. Also pick up a couple cans of 3M Spray adhesive. I got grey fabric with a thin foam backing.

First lay the fabric face down and and spray some adhesive on the back of the fabric and on the head liner. Dont spray the whole fabric and headliner, then try to join them. Instead spray it in sections. I sprayed a section as wide as the headliner and one foot long on both the headliner and fabric. Let it sit a couple minutes then join them together. Then I would let it sit five or ten minutes and work on another one foot section until I reached the end. Wait for the glue to set, then trim off the excess on the sides. I also found that instead of trimming the front and back, its best to fold it over and glue a couple inches on the back side. It looks much cleaner and theres a less of a chance of it peeling back.

Total cost for the project was less than $30 and it looks brand new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #19
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the insight, Low Saturn.

Does it look good in Light Gray with all the trim panels in Tan color?

Same question asked:
Before you glue the new fabric on the headliner board, did you just remove the old Cloth Layer only? From what I see on my sagging headliner, there seems to have a layer of 'foam' stuff still sticking on the headliner board.....is it a must to remove the foam layer or just the old cloth(Color one) is fine...?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #20
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlara
Thanks for the insight, Low Saturn.

Does it look good in Light Gray with all the trim panels in Tan color?
I redid the whole interior. I picked up a SL2 for $99 and used the seats and all the trim panels I could use in my SW2. The rest I used an interior dye/paint. It matched and looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlara
Same question asked:
Before you glue the new fabric on the headliner board, did you just remove the old Cloth Layer only? From what I see on my sagging headliner, there seems to have a layer of 'foam' stuff still sticking on the headliner board.....is it a must to remove the foam layer or just the old cloth(Color one) is fine...?
Mine wasn't saging so I left it. I assume you can just pull off the old fabric. I'd leave the foam if it isnt coming off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread