SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #1
sadadar
sadadar is on a distinguished road

Dazed PLZ help need to get home

Driving to work today the car stalled. I have been driving this car for over 80 thousand miles, this is like only the third time i have ever stalled but this time it happend 3 times. I check to make sure it was in first gear, and it was. Then i reved the engin with the clutch out then put the clutch in and poped it. i was able to get moving. At the next light the car started to shake violantly, then stalled. i restarted the car the idle is normaly about 1200 when cold but when hot it is normaly about 900 or so but it reved up to almost 3k. the shifter started to stick in gear, and i mean stick could not move with out hitting it. driving down the road the shifter still did not wanta move, i started to put the clutch in and hit it out of gear then pulling the clutch out and the clutch again to put it back into gear. the shifter now feels very rigid, not wanting to move frely and feels kinda grity. not sure what to do about it. I do have a KandN airfilter and made sure the throttle boddy was not sticking. Any help would be nice thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sadadar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sadadar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Not much info to go on...

Please state model year, model (SC, SL2, L, etc.), miles on the odometer and your location. Did this occur on a warm engine or cold engine or both?

It appears with the information you gave us, that you actually have two problems - first is the bad idle control, shaking and stalling - which could be caused by lots of different things.

The second appears that shift linkage is broken, hopefully one of the exposed cables from shifter to transmission and not the linkage and shift forks inside.

You could search the board for possibilities and/or wait for one of the techs to respond. In the meantime, be more specific in descriing the problems. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
sadadar

the car is a 2002 SL with 80 thousand freeway miles at about 80 mph. This has only happend today when the car was hot at normal temp. just talked to saturn they thought it might be the transmishion or the clutch or conbination. when i first got the car the transmission seal was broken and they replaced the clutch and transmision also. there were no worning lights or any thing to aleart me of this.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sadadar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
sadadar

one other thing just checked the clutch fluid and there is none. i refilled the fuild just before x-mas and then went on a drive for about 2400 miles all freeway as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by sadadar
one other thing just checked the clutch fluid and there is none. i refilled the fuild just before x-mas and then went on a drive for about 2400 miles all freeway as well.
Umm yeah, that would probably be it. Your clutch hydraulic system (what makes the pedal actually work the clutch) has a leak. The easiest repair is to replace the entire assembly with a new one from Saturn. ($160 +/- for the part) This will take you (if you are inexpirenced) about an hour with "normal hand tools" your mechanic or Saturn far less time. Get the assembly from Saturn, and DO NOT use aftermarket "autoparts store" parts for this one. Trust me

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
sadadar

Just refilled the clutch fluid with dot3 brake fluid. The pettal is a little easer now but not like normal.

Will replacing the clutch hydraulic system fix the shifter being stiff? Also do u think it is ok to drive it home and then to saturn with a conbind distance of about 130miles??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Probably YES, just refilling the fluid will probably get the system working again as a TEMPORARY measure. If the fluid actually got that low however there is now AIR in the hydraulic system which is the cause of your shifting/clutching problems.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
sadadar

Car seem to be running fin now thanks for the help will go pay saturn to fix it tho then i might trade it in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread