SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
BlueVette
BlueVette is on a distinguished road

Default Removal of CARMAX decals?

How would one go about properly removing decals off the paint of your Saturn? These decals are from CARMAX on the rear of my black LW300 and guess what... not only do I not like that free-advertising junk on my car, but its not level. Weee...

Any help would be appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueVette's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueVette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
Dach
Dach is on a distinguished road

Call carmax and see what they say. Either that or check on an automotive detailing site. Most give expert advice on those types of problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Shhhh... I never said this, but trust me, they peel right off. Just use your finger nail real carefully. There may be slight residue after you take it off, but it will fade out in less than a month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:10 AM   #4
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by wei_
Shhhh... I never said this, but trust me, they peel right off. Just use your finger nail real carefully. There may be slight residue after you take it off, but it will fade out in less than a month.
He's right. Just peel them off with your thumbnail. A little bug and tar remover will take off the adhesive residue. Apply new wax. Done!

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

I've had great luck with lighter fuel for removing sticker residue w/o paint damage.

Don't use stuff like Goo-Gone though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

WD-40 is also quite effective and safe for the finish.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
ARECCE
ARECCE is on a distinguished road

Use a blow dryer or a heat gun to warm up the glue. If you use a heat gun be careful not to heat up the paint too much. All you want to do is warm up the glue. The decal should peel off pretty easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARECCE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARECCE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

Be careful with heat--I've also seen it make sticker glue a gooey mess when it normally would have just peeled off. Try peeling first.
I personally recommend sticker remover or WD-40. Both work well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #9
cad_man
cad_man is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
To remove the residue use GooGone , it's much gentler on the finish then lighter fluid as some one suggested.

cad_man

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cad_man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cad_man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
SLVR_Saturn
SLVR_Saturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by cad_man
To remove the residue use GooGone , it's much gentler on the finish then lighter fluid as some one suggested.

cad_man
I concur, goo gone seems to work very well, I have used it in the past with no adverse effects.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLVR_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLVR_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #11
lostwages_ls2

How did you like buying from CarMax??

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #12
BlueVette

Quote:
Originally posted by lostwages_ls2
How did you like buying from CarMax??
It was okay. This is the second car that I've purchased from carmax. The first one was a good car and the dealing went well. Overall, I'd give carmax high points for non-aggressive (aka. not annoying) salesmanship and the overall process was pretty quick and painless. Plus they gave me more on my trade in than any other dealership I checked with.

I'd do it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlueVette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM   #13
MrWhsprs
MrWhsprs is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Though I wasn't the one who posted the original question, I'll say 'thanks' to the suggestions as well since my car has a Carmax sticker on it which I wouldn't mind removing... :-)

<>< Mike
2000 SL2: 133,016 miles as of 2014-08-24
Gone: 1999 SW2: 269,454 miles when totaled on 2014-06-14

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrWhsprs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrWhsprs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:21 PM   #14
lostwages_ls2

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueVette
It was okay. This is the second car that I've purchased from carmax. The first one was a good car and the dealing went well. Overall, I'd give carmax high points for non-aggressive (aka. not annoying) salesmanship and the overall process was pretty quick and painless. Plus they gave me more on my trade in than any other dealership I checked with.

I'd do it again.
My experience was about the same. All of the other places it was like circling vultures. If you actually asked a question it was like blood in the water with sharks.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #15
BlueVette

Just a follow up:
I removed those CARMAX decals in about 5 minutes using just my finger nails! (And no, i don't have long, magical finger nails or anything.. just the normal stubby things). Came off really easy. Just gotta hit that area with a few layers of Zaino and it'll be perfect. Actually, the Zaino is for the entire car. Already have one coat on it and that black finish is looking great. Gimmie 3 or 4 more layers and I'll be able to see into the dark recesses of my soul through that reflection.
BTW, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the Saturn's paint job. Looks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #16
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

When we bought the Metro back in late '95, the dealer put this huge metal logo on the trunk right above the keyhole. My dad went out there and tore it off and oops, did I do thaaat? It left a big mark from the two-sided tape that held it on... thank God they use something other than that now lol...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread