SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
WhtCastle
WhtCastle is on a distinguished road

Arrow OK, so assuming my CV joint IS bad, what happens if I don't fix it?

Title is pretty much the question. I haven't completely figured out if that's the problem or not, but all signs are pointing to that being it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhtCastle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhtCastle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Eventually..(exactly how long that will be?) the joint will fail and seperate at which point you will go nowhere (except behind a wrecker)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

They'll usually get pretty loud, the one in my Toyota was shaking violently before I had it replaced (unbroken). Hope you have an AAA plus membership if you plan on running with it

George

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
Eventually..(exactly how long that will be?) the joint will fail and seperate at which point you will go nowhere (except behind a wrecker)
I can atest to that! My old Skyhawk had a ripped CV joint when I first bought it (you can hear the crackeling as sand and dirt get in there). I kept putting it off saying I'd get it replaced later...until finally when I was making a left turn the joint "snapped." I couldn't do anything but coast to the right side and start walking. It was a cold walk to school that day...

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
SLVR_Saturn
SLVR_Saturn is on a distinguished road

My pop's 86 Carrolla had a CV joint go out on it a few years back. In his case when it went it ended up taking out his transmission as well (nice big hole in it), not sure how typical that is to happen but it certainly isn't cheap if it does!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLVR_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLVR_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Yup, a broken cv joint can exert forces sufficient to break a transmission case.

My own personal experience was driving an 82 olds omega with a progressively worsening CV joint that started with the usual "clacking" around corners. It progressed to the point where the steering wheel would shake violently and unpredictably (like into the other lane at times) with incresing speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
WhtCastle

Bah, all what I was fearing could/would happen. Should I take it in to dealer or to a shop? (I didn't buy it from a dealer.) We don't have a regular shop that we go to, and no one I know has a regular mechanic they go to either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WhtCastle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

At a dealer, you'll get sold a new axle for about $400. At an independent shop, the reman part will probably be $100 +/- $25.

There may also be labor rate differences.

This is a moderately difficult DIY project.

If you have no other basis for selecting (personal experience or recommendation), I'd fall back on using a NAPA car care center. Or stop in a pro oriented parts place and ask a counterman who he'd recommend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:10 AM   #9
WhtCastle

Well I'm going to check the boot first and my brother-in-law is quite the handy mechanic. It's just always hard to ask for such favors. :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
TedL

If you're already getting noise, replacing the boot is not an answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
WhtCastle

I thought I had read somewhere if you get it early enough it will be ok, but after what you had said and re-searching, I guess I read something wrong. FUN STUFF!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
WhtCastle

The horror......the horror...

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...cat=500&page=1

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...cat=500&page=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
TedL

Glad that's not my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 01-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
WhtCastle

Ok, so Autozone carries remanufactured ones for about $65 which I am going to pick up today or tomorrow. I haven't been driving it much since I first noticed the noise (about a week ago) so I think (hope) I will be ok for a little bit longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #15
TedL

Do you (or bro-in-law) have tools & procedures?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 01-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #16
WhtCastle

Quote:
Originally posted by TedL
Do you (or bro-in-law) have tools & procedures?

My brother in law has a garage full of tools, he is one of those "can fix everything" type of people. He's been working on cars since he was 16, it's just the matter of asking for the help. I have the Haynes book for my car, but I also assume he already knows how to do it.

*edit* I removed a part showing my horrible math skills.

Last edited by WhtCastle; 01-08-2004 at 04:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #17
TedL

Great. Good luck to the two of you.

BTW, if there's any ATF leakage at the seal on the side you're changing, now's the time to replace the seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 01-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, replacing a driveaxle is relatively easy and requires neither any "special" tools or even a front end alignment afterwards... Buy a QUALITY rebuilt halfshaft for the side in question.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #19
TedL

They're not "special" to me either, but the 32(?) mm socket for the axle nut and long pry bar are not in every DIY's toolbox. AZ will loan the socket for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 01-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #20
WhtCastle

Well, as it started to sound really bad and vibrate, I decided it was time to fix it. Didn't take too long and was fairly easy. The final picture of the bad one is http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...cat=500&page=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread