SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
JeffTheJoc
JeffTheJoc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Question Only DEX-COOL?

Today my "Low Engine Coolant " light came on for a few minutes as I was driving. So I checked the coolant level and read about it in the owners manual. I was surprised to read that I must use only DEX-COOL brand coolant or else any damage to my engine may not be covered by my warrenty. I have three questions about this: 1) Is this true? 2) Is it legal and ethical for Saturn to force us to use a certain brand of product? 3) If we must use DEX-COOL, is it available somewhere other than at a Saturn dealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JeffTheJoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JeffTheJoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Re read it. It says "Dexcool or equivalent" MANY manufacturers sell "Dexcool compatable" coolant. Available at Walmart (among other places) for around $6~$8 a gallon. Just look for the phrase "Dexcool compatable" on the label. DO NOT mix conventional "green" eythlene glycol based coolant with Dexcool type coolant whatever you do! Dexcool and dexcool compatable coolant will have an orangish color right out of the bottle.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

Texaco is the company that actually makes DEX-COOL for GM, so if you can find their stuff, it will definitely be the same..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:29 AM   #4
tightsaturn96
Advanced Member
tightsaturn96 is on a distinguished road

They aren't forcing you to use a particular brand. Dex-Cool may be a brand name, but it is a totally different kind of substance. Better than old fashioned green coolant too.
Just find a Dex-Cool compatible coolant at Wal-Mart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tightsaturn96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tightsaturn96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Dexcool is not a brand name, it's a product specification, like Dexron ATF. As such, it is clearly legal for Saturn to require you to use an appropriate engine coolant, rather then, say, windshield washer anti-freeze, in order to maintain your warranty. The Moss-Magnusen Warraty Act prevents them from requiring specific brands to maintain a warranty, but does not ban requiring specific performance criteria. (Should someone be able to substitute SA oil for SL and maintain the warranty coverage? I don't think so!)

You can get Texaco/Havoline Dexcool at Walmart for six and change per undiluted gallon, not substantially more than the conventional green stuff. No big deal. No corporate conspiracy. Just a superior product that better protects your engine and other parts of the cooling system.

Last edited by TedL; 01-01-2004 at 07:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

It's no diferent than GM using Dexron, and Ford using Type-F Transmission fluid - I haven't seen any class action suits against Ford lately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread