SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 10:53 PM   #1
Andre
Andre is on a distinguished road

Default VUE. How fuel efficient? Can anyone say?

One thing I like about my LS1 is that it is one of the most fuel efficient mid-size cars.

Does anyone have an idea what type of fuel efficiency we can expect from the different VUE drivetrains?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2001, 11:32 AM   #2
Armadillo
Armadillo is on a distinguished road

That seems to be the big question. As far as I know, the retailers are still in the dark. (I keep asking).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Armadillo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Armadillo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 12:27 PM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Andre- As a fellow LS1 owner I have the same question as you. My LS1 currently serves all the needs I have for a car larger than my S series. Frankly, the only reasons I'd want a VUE would be for vacations and tailgating at football games. It certainly wouldn't be worth a major decrease in year round mpg for just those reasons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 01:05 PM   #4
Andre
Andre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
John6 (07-28-2001 01:27 p.m.):
Andre- As a fellow LS1 owner I have the same question as you. My LS1 currently serves all the needs I have for a car larger than my S series. Frankly, the only reasons I'd want a VUE would be for vacations and tailgating at football games. It certainly wouldn't be worth a major decrease in year round mpg for just those reasons.
Well John, it seems there wont be much contreversy on this post.

Not the the Saturn wagons don't look nice; I think the're great, but I imagine the VUE as a sporty looking wagon.

I live in a city with a real winter. But even here, few people need serious offroad capabilities. AWD might help you out of a snowbank, but that's about it. If we could get a sporty little SUV that is not too difficult to park, does not guzzle too much gaz, is safe to drive and gives the cargo room of a wagon a lot of buyers would be happy. Even nicer if on our salty roads the body panels can't rust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 03:37 PM   #5
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

A very good question. There should be some figures available somewhere. Of course, the EPA mileage figures always seem to be the last specs publicized.

I think we will have to wait a bit longer for 1) the official EPA specs and 2) real world experience to see if the EPA numbers are good estimates or not. So even when the EPA numbers come out, there's always the possibility of them being either too conservative or too optimistic.

I expect that the Vue will not be too different from the LW's. The VTi (aka the CVT) and the all electric steering may help offset the SUV factors (weight, etc) that might erode MPG.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 03:43 PM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

By the time you take a 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder, bog it down with a brick shaped (albiet a slick brick) on top, load it up with all of the power gadgets, automatic tranny, A/C, and human cargo you are talking 22 tops from mixed driving.

My SL2 gets about 28 on the highway and about 18 around the city. This is with the A/C on and stop-n-go traffic. Interestingly, my last car, a 1996 Olds LSS with a 205 hp 3800 Series II got 29 on the highway and about 15 in town.

Anytime you strain a motor with all of that, it will suck gas. Big cars geared properly will get decent MPG on the highway - witness the Corvette.

My wife's old GMC Jimmy SLT with the 4.3 Vortec got about 15 around town and 18 on the highway. The VUE should be a little better, but don't buy it for the mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:02 PM   #7
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

Well I've read that the VUE will only be about 150lbs heavier than a similarly-equipped L-series wagon. If that's true, with the CVT and five-speed automatic transmissions, gas mileage should theoretically be similar to an L. What do you think?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:21 PM   #8
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

The weight differential might be small, but you've got to remember one thing: most of the fuel expended to drive at highway speeds, particularly above 55mph, is to push air around (i.e., to overcome wind resistance). The VUE is a much taller profile vehicle than the LW, and will therefore suffer a penalty, certainly in actual, if not EPA rated, gas mileage because of this fact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:32 PM   #9
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

Good point. I was just being optimistic. In the end, it is a compact SUV afterall--we'll just have to see how it is. Remember, this is Saturn. Maybe theyve got something (like good gas mileage estimates) up their sleeve. :-)

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:50 PM   #10
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

On the plus side (surprised I forgot about this, since I posted something about it myself a while back), the VUE will have a 5 speed, as opposed to 4 speed, automatic, which probably means a taller top gear for highway driving (which, in turn, should help offset the aerodynamic disadvantage a bit). Should be interesting to see what the mileage ends up being.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-29-2001, 08:35 PM   #11
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

That's the reason I said <b> five-speed automatic </b> in my original post. :-) I should've made what I was saying more clear in the first place. I'll do that now.

What I was saying is, that, with the minimal weight difference (even though you're right, of course, there is some aerodynamic difference), and the added fuel efficiencies of both the CVT and the five-speed automatic, we should see gas mileage similar to an L-series wagon. Possibly even an L-series sedan. Wouldn't that be nice? The VUE would sell like hotcakes if that's the case. I certainly hope so. What do you think?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2001, 08:46 PM   #12
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

I heard awhile ago that Saturn is truly trying to make this a "different" kind of SUV by (among other things) making it one of the - if not the - most fuel efficient SUV on the road. I am also curious as to what they have planned, but the CVT and 5-speed auto should help.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2001, 11:38 AM   #13
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I heard awhile ago that Saturn is truly trying to make this a "different" kind of SUV by (among other things) making it one of the - if not the - most fuel efficient SUV on the road. I am also curious as to what they have planned, but the CVT and 5-speed auto should help.
Let's hope that this comes true. It would be way cool if Saturn could have a well balanced SUV entry that has very impressive fuel economy figures.

I am still wondering what final pricing will be like. I'm a bit worried that they won't be able to go as low as some of the recent competition, especially things like the Hyundai Santa Fe. Of course, if fuel economy comes out really good, and insurance costs stay low, then maybe these could be used as arguments against the lower purchase price of the competition, but the buying public really seems to be sensitive to initial costs.

OTOH, I have hopes that Saturn will somehow be able to be more aggressive than expected in pricing. But then, I don't want them killing a beneficial source of profit either.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread