SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #1
Actaeon
Actaeon is on a distinguished road

Default Key stuck, very hard to remove key from ignition...

I can stick my key in just fine, but when I turn to remove the key from the ignition, it won't leave.

Usually, I have to let it sit for a minute or two, then twist it back and forth, and then it'll get out. Today it wouldn't do it, and I was 10 minutes late for work, stuck in the parking lot.

Its rather hard to explain this problem, but its a huge pain in the ass!

Its on a 97 SC2 Auto.

Thanks
Jonathan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Actaeon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Actaeon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

You "may" just need to get a new key CUT (not copied) at your local Saturn retailer to the key code for the car. Before doing that however, take a trip to your local hardware store (or Walmart maybe?) and purchase a bottle of "Lockease" It is a solvent based graphite lock lubricant that may be all thats needed to free things up. DO NOT use WD40 or 3in1 or other oil! It may work but will result in the lock cylinder actually drying out or gunking up and getting stiffer over time. The lockease washes out crud with a solvent that evaporates leaving a "dry" graphite lubricant behind that will not gum up the lock or attract dirt. It has worked very well for me in the past...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
Actaeon

Thanks for the advice Wolfman, but maybe I was not clear in my original post. Or perhaps you understood me perfectly, but I'll make it clear.

I don't believe the key is the problem, its just that the ignition won't let go of the key. I can turn it anywhere, its just the ignition won't release the key. No matter where its turned, only if I'm lucky, after waiting a little while, it will let the key release.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Actaeon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

That suggests that the pins in the lock cylinder that the key acts on are sticking. Lubing the lock with the product described above should do the trick.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
Actaeon

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
That suggests that the pins in the lock cylinder that the key acts on are sticking. Lubing the lock with the product described above should do the trick.
Wow, you are quick! I'll head to walmart and see if they have some, if not, discount auto tomorrow.

Thanks again Wolfman,
Jonathan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2003, 11:08 PM   #6
baskerj
baskerj is on a distinguished road

I see you're in Orlando too...if you didn't go to Walmart...Publix and Winn Dixie also typically have graphite lubricant in the small auto section they have...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to baskerj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help baskerj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #7
Actaeon

Quote:
Originally posted by baskerj
I see you're in Orlando too...if you didn't go to Walmart...Publix and Winn Dixie also typically have graphite lubricant in the small auto section they have...
Yay! Another Florida member...

I live in Kissimmee to be more exact. I'm goign to check out WalMart later tonight to see if they have this stuff, too lazy to stop by now though.

Thanks
Jonathan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2003, 12:08 AM   #8
Dach
Dach is on a distinguished road

I think you may be having a problem with your shift interlock solenoid. Try moving the shifter from P to R and back when it's stuck, if it comes out easily that's your culprit. It's not an easy fix but there are several posts that describe the diy repair. Do a search on shift interlock and you'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread