SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 12:11 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default From the SaturnFans DOH! Files...

Someone sent me a link to this article; I thought I'd post it here. Be careful where you put things...

Man Returns $47,000 Found In Sterling ATM
http://www.leesburg2day.com/current.cfm?newsid=3729

When 21-year-old Cullen Shelton made a deposit at a Sterling bank Tuesday night he had no idea he was about to make a $47,000 decision.

At 9:30 p.m. Shelton made a deposit at the ATM machine of the Wachovia Bank at Rt. 7 and Drainesville Road. He saw what he thought was a trash bag hanging from the ATM’s deposit slot. Shelton picked the bag up, opened it and discovered approximately $47,000 in cash and checks, the daily deposit of Saturn of Sterling. The night drop box is a few feet from where the bag had been precariously lodged and Shelton said whoever tried to make the deposit must have been confused. He said whoever made the delivery must have known that it never made it through the tiny slot.

“It definately wasn’t the place you put almost $50,000.”

He saw no one around the ATM and had not seen anyone leave the area before him. Because he had opened the bag he said he was concerned that just putting it in the drop slot would be suspicious, so he took the money home. After placing the money, close to $5,000 in one hundred dollar bills and the remainder in checks, on the kitchen table his parents joked that only their son could have this experience.

“My dad said if it was him he probably would have been arrested on the spot,” he said.

Shelton called the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office at 9:50 p.m. Dep. Keith Wills arrived at the home and took the money to the Sheriff’s Office property locker in Sterling.

Wednesday morning Shelton was working at his summer job at the Sheriff’s Office on Catoctin Street in the property room when he processed the property card that described the contents of the bag he turned in the night before. A senior at Virginia Commonwealth University majoring in criminal justice, Shelton is spending his summer getting on-the-job experience.

“I could have been down in Mexico by now,” he quipped.

Saturn of Sterling General Manager Tim Raymond said the company is still trying to figure out how they are going to thank and reward Shelton. “It sounds like we got really lucky. I’m thankful that he’s the one who found the money and turned it in.”

Shelton’s supervisor Administrative Technical Services Capt. Larry Wilkins said he should be commended and publicly thanked. “This was a big windfall. There are not very many people who would do what he did.”

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2001, 01:35 PM   #2
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Interesting way to get some publicity, but I don't think Saturn of Sterling should make a habit of this... ;-)

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2001, 09:11 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I know of a bad case of lost night deposits.

A friend of mind, who isn't very responsible but honest nonetheless, was in charge of the night deposit for a video store she worked for. For one reason or another, she did not go straight after work to make the deposit. Her manager often does it the next day, and says it's ok for her to do so. Well, she left the deposit under the seat of her car, and forgot about it for a couple of days, and then someone stole it from her car. She got in loads of trouble.

I once worked for a large sporting goods chain. The manager on duty always makes the night deposit, and another employee is required to follow him to the bank and watch him put it in the slot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2001, 08:59 AM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Hats off to the guy for doing the right thing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2001, 05:37 PM   #5
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

And then there was Joey Coyle from Philly who was driving behind a Brinks truck (armored car) when the back door opened and a bag holding $1 Million fell out. He and his pals and family went on a shopping spree that led the police right to him. I think he spent some time in jail before the trail and then got off on "temporary insanity", but died a couple of years later. Not Mr. Lucky, all in all.

Honesty is always the best policy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread