SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 08:53 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default 2002 L-Series Price List

The '02 L price list is now online here. As speculated, Saturn has repackaged the car's options and added a number of new standard features. What do you think? Do you think this revised L will sell better than the 2000 and 2001 models? How should Saturn advertise the changes?

Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2001, 09:08 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Saturn needs to advertise more aggressively with fewer touchy feel good commercials. It's time to show off the cars and what they can do. Not just what the buying experience is like. Let people know that Saturn has cars not just a good sales experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 09:47 PM   #3
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

I agree wholeheartedly with ssicarman. Sure the touchy-feely-bubbly Saturn car-buying experience is world-class. No doubt. Maybe throw something in about that with the advertisement. But what we need to see is a modified black or silver L300 cruising down an Interstate, then show it putting its sport-tuned suspension to good use. Show the L300 being the performance sedan that it most certainly can be. Then show it driving in a rain or snowstorm. In that rain/snowstorm, show the L300 driving through an intersection, but with somebody on one side not stopping at the stop sign. Show the L300 nearly getting hit, but quickly maneuvering out of the way and coming to a controlled stop out of harm's way. Then during this, or after this ordeal, flash on the screen and announce something like "Enjoy peace of mind with the L-series' standard Antilock brakes, traction control, and side curtain airbags." Then advertise the newly improved side crash ratings. Then show the car cruising in a couple scenes, putting stress on the alloy wheels, sunroof, foglamps, etc. etc. Make the people start drooling.

Then at the end, flash the surprising low MSRP label, and say "See your local Saturn retailer to experience the Saturn difference for yourself."

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
HDClown
HDClown is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see ABC/Trac Control and Dual Side Airbags standard, as well as 4 wheel disc breaks on the L200. Price only went up $500 to get those options standard (which total a decent amount over $500). Kinda makes me wish I waited to get a 2002, but then I wouldn't have gotten a deal like I did.

I'm just glad to see the 2002 model doesn't appear to have any exterior revamps aside from different alloys. I assume all that's going to happen in 2003? But that's going to happen mid 2002 is it not? Does anyone actually have any pictures of these proposed changes?

I wonder if it would be worth trading up my 2001 L200 for a 2003 model when they come around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HDClown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HDClown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 10:00 PM   #5
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

They ruined the L100. No more manual option and a bunch of safety items (ABS/side bags) rolled into the price.

That would have been it for me. Couldn't have afforded to move up to the L when they did me such a favor in including stuff I don't want and really can't afford.

Guess my LS better last a while.

One of the greatest things about Saturn IMHO was the ability to pick and choose options from a pure base model to a fully optioned L300 sport sedan.

Perhaps the L100 wasn't a big seller but it served 2 functions:

1. Base entry point to mid-size w/o the almost mandatory options on Accord & Camry.

2. Great price leader for ads. It'd get a lot of folks on the lot even if many (as Saturn hoped) traded up to the higher lines.

Oh Saturn, home of base SL's and L100's, why did you do this to us?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 10:07 PM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I think that Saturn is going to have to make it known that the L offers more car for less money than its competitors. If the L doesn't attract *new* Saturn owners it is in for a rough time. Why?... Simply stated the VUE is going to compete with the L for *existing* Saturn owners. In my own case the L provides me with everying I need in a medium sized car and I am very satisfied with the L that I own. Since my family's needs are filled with one medium sized car and several little ones (S cars) guess which car goes if I decide to buy a VUE.
I certainly will continue to buy Saturns but if the company is going to expand its market share it is going to have to attract new buyers well beyond simply doing repeat sales to owners like me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 10:27 PM   #7
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

You're right, john6. Saturn needs to get the word out, and fast. A fully-equipped L300 tops out at a little over 23,000. This includes ABS/TC, head bags, power everything, heated leather seats, sunroof, auto climate control--not many other cars offer this at this price. Plus the Saturn buying experience--the polymer panels--it all adds up. But Saturn has to let people know about this before they'll sell any of them.

It's pretty bad when we on a fan site get the pricing information before anybody else does. Saturn should make an effort to get it out as least as soon as we know here.

Oh well.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2001, 11:52 PM   #8
Armadillo
Armadillo is on a distinguished road

Ed...why aren't you working for Saturn in advertising? ;-) I like your concepts. Make up some story boards and a voiceover and send 'em in!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Armadillo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Armadillo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:37 AM   #9
BobC
BobC is on a distinguished road

Basically, I agree with BobL that the original "build your own Saturn" concept was a good one. Obviously, the decision to abandon it was a cost/price decision (a neccessary evil in today's highly competitive market place).

My only "hang-up" with the bundling comes in Package #3
(Spoiler, Power Sunroof, and Foglamps). The package savings of $240 equal out (more or less) the cost of a spoiler. As and when I buy another L-Car, I would want both a sunroof and foglamps. In future, however, I would not be able to get them without inflicting the disfigurement (my opinion, I know) of a spoiler on my otherwise lovely little car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2001, 06:40 AM   #10
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Armadillo (07-02-2001 12:52 a.m.):
Ed...why aren't you working for Saturn in advertising? ;-) I like your concepts. Make up some story boards and a voiceover and send 'em in!
Hey Armadillo, is your real name Jill? *LOL*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2001, 09:40 AM   #11
Spork

Price wise, you get a lot for your money with an L-100. Unfortunately, you can no longer get a manual transmission.These are the extras you get..

Head Curtain Air Boags (what ever a Boag is?)
ABS with Traction Control
AM/FM Stereo with CD and 8 Speakers
Carpeted Front and Rear Floor Mats
Automatic Headlights
4-speed Automatic

That's a lot of stuff you had to pay extra for before, but like BobL said.. it would be nice to have a choice. By them making the manual available only in the L-200, I would not have bought the car. Automatics are not an option and I would have had to pay $2500 more than what I paid for mine to get a manual. I realize that for most people, the current offering is much better. For me, though, that would not be the case. The 2001 L-100 would have been the best. Side curtains, manual tranny, and a better price.

On the other hand.. You'd pay a $2200 premium to go from an auto L-100 to L-200. All you gain for the money is cruise, power doors and windows and alarm, heated mirrors and rear discs. That's an awful lot of money for those few options!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 07-02-2001, 10:42 AM   #12
Armadillo
Armadillo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
[b]John6 (07-02-2001 07:40 a.m.)

Hey Armadillo, is your real name Jill? *LOL*
Any way I'd normally answer would get me in trouble. }> I would love to see Saturn come up with some commercials that show off the car. Most of the time, so little of the car is actually shown that it would be difficult to identify it on the road as the one in the commercial. Not only that, but even seeing a Saturn commercial is an event, they're so few and far between. But please, not one of the hackneyed "car/truck/SUV driving on curvy mountain road" that, while watching tv, seem to show up back-to-back at every commercial break. The L would be a perfect vehicle (double meaning there) to announce a good mix of performance and style. I'm not creative enough to come up with what I want to see, I just know what catches my imagination when I see it. I think it's time that Saturn quits the "modest" act and shows what it's got.

Nissan caught my attention with their commercials...that long lateral slide is not only "whoa!", but aesthetically beautiful. On the humorous side, I like the Subaru commercials with Paul Hogan...the school bus actually made me laugh.

Sorry, my name isn't Jill. ;-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Armadillo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Armadillo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2001, 10:54 AM   #13
John10
Master Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Armadillo (07-02-2001 11:42 a.m.):

Sorry, my name isn't Jill. ;-)
Shoot, I am getting tired of my current job and I was hoping to use you as a reference to get my foot in the door at Saturn Corp. j/k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2001, 08:12 PM   #14
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

My dream L-series vehicle is now easier than ever to configure!

*Silver on Black L200
*Manual Transmission
*Premium Package

I would also get the six-spoke alloys if possible. I don't like the old or new L-200 alloys.

I would also consider a wood trim kit, but some I've seen (as a recent one posted), are overdone, IMO.

Also, a light window tint, 35% all around or so. It's legal in my state (AR).

About the color, I can't decide between sliver or black. Black on black is just asking for trouble in Louisiana, but I think darker colors make the car look more expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2001, 12:25 AM   #15
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

I don't know. Personally I think that Silver and Black are both up there on the "style" scale. Because if you look at the pics of siLver Surfer on here, you can see that a silver car can look pretty sweet. Tint the windows on a silver car, and you've got all the advantages of a lighter color (cooler in summer, easy to keep clean, doesnt show scratches as much) and the prowess of black. Black is nice too, but very hot in your area I'm sure.

Hey that's an idea. Maybe I should work for Saturn. Or maybe I already do (twists wiry mustache). :-) Seriously--it is obvious that the L has many desirable features. There aren't many $16,000 cars that include ABS AND traction control, automatic headlamps, automatic transmission, oil life monitor, and side head bags, and a cd player standard. Saturn is really taking the L places. I can't wait to see what '03 will bring.

How about ya'all? What do you think?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2001, 12:58 AM   #16
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Hmm...having problems deciding between silver and black, eh? That'd be nice if Saturn went back to the ol' two tone color scheme option. How does a lower-Silver, upper-Black color scheme on an L sound? I could dig it.

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2001, 05:48 AM   #17
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I could always customize a black L with a lower two-tone gray/silver part. A pastor friend of mine does body work, and he recently added two-tone paint to a Montero Sport. Nice looking! I like the Toyota Avalons with two tone and the small chrome moulding separating the two colors.

Another solution is the black silver color found on the s series.

About the '03 changes, I am expecting nothing more than cosmetic changes. New front and back ends. It seems like all the functional changes were taken care of for the '02 models. On a side note, I have spoken to a Saturn employee who has seen a photo of an '03 model. He wasn't too bright and really couldn't explain any details, other than what I already knew. The taillights are more angular.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2001, 11:06 AM   #18
HDClown
HDClown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spencerb (07-03-2001 06:48 a.m.):
I could always customize a black L with a lower two-tone gray/silver part. A pastor friend of mine does body work, and he recently added two-tone paint to a Montero Sport. Nice looking! I like the Toyota Avalons with two tone and the small chrome moulding separating the two colors.

Another solution is the black silver color found on the s series.

About the '03 changes, I am expecting nothing more than cosmetic changes. New front and back ends. It seems like all the functional changes were taken care of for the '02 models. On a side note, I have spoken to a Saturn employee who has seen a photo of an '03 model. He wasn't too bright and really couldn't explain any details, other than what I already knew. The taillights are more angular.
Get us a scan of that photo!

As for two tone black/silver bottom, it's already been done. Saturn of Orlando South store has an 2001 L series with ground effects and aftermarket alloys thats two tone with black top and silver bottom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HDClown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HDClown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2001, 01:45 PM   #19
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

I really like silver. I recently had a custom paint job done on my Intrepid, it is now silver on the top, with a silver (much brighter silver--almost looks like aluminum) paint on the bodyside cladding. Would you guys like me to upload some pics of her?

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2001, 01:49 PM   #20
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

Oh PS--I'm going to tint the windows all the way around--dark on the back, and the darkest legal tint on the front windows. I think too I'll put on a spoiler as well. It used to have one, but I had the body shop remove it and fill the holes because whoever put it on did a bad job and it leaked. So I might just have one put on that uses some kind of adhesive. I'm also thinking about possibly putting on some 5 spoke 17" wheels too. But I'm not exactly sure yet.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread