SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
Default Head Gasket job

I'm going to be pulling the head off my 95sl2 to replace the head gasket as I believe I am burning coolant. Aside from the Manifolds gaskets, are there any other things I should look at replacing while I'm in there? Car has about 140k miles, and I like to replace stuff before it breaks.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

When was your waterpump changed?

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
R.J.Barnett
R.J.Barnett is on a distinguished road

With 140,000 miles, you might consider one or all of the following:

1. At the least a valve job (Replace the head on the outside).

2. Drop the oil pan, pull the pistons and R&R the rings.

3. R&R the cam chain, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to R.J.Barnett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help R.J.Barnett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
HPINitro
HPINitro is on a distinguished road

I am also replacing the head gasket on my 93 SL2. On the thread "Water at the exhaust pipe" I also asked if there was any thing that my need to be replaced, cleaned or addressed - see responses.

Not sure if doing all of the repairs is necessary, but if we are of the same frame of mind why not do some of the other repairs while we have the engine apart....especially those that require this level of disassembly....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HPINitro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HPINitro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

It's not difficult to pull the head.

Heck, I pulled a head of a 280zx turbo with a friend before. That head with the intake/exhaust manifold and turbo was HEAVY!!!.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

I'm going to be redoing the whole motor at some point via the deebs build. He finally wrote me back with his best recipe for a stock saturn motor that will put 133 to the wheels.

Water pump is original, and probably not a bad idea to swap that out, and I guess I'll throw in for a new thermostat though i'm pretty sure mine is okay. I'm going to skip the major bottom end stuff for now as I plan to do this fairly quickly and be back up and driving the same day.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
R.J.Barnett
R.J.Barnett is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity, are you reusing the head bolts or getting new ones?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to R.J.Barnett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help R.J.Barnett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 PM   #8
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

Reusing the ones that come out unless something goes horribly wrong.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

DEFINATELY replace the timing chain, sprockets and tensioner/guides while it's apart anyway. Have a valve job to include valve guide seals done on the head while it's off. If your oil use is not excessive, I'd leave the bottom end of the engine (rings and bearings) alone. It is just too easy for a novice doing a "driveway rebuild" to make a catastrophic error down there.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

It won't be a driveway job as I will be doing it in a shop with lifts and any tool needed including air tools. The problem is, the car cannot stay there, and anything I do would need to be done within that days time. Not sure I can afford all the timing parts, and again I am planning to do a full rebuild over the winter sometime. I just want to get a head gasket in this one to keep it from burning any coolant. I'm mainly looking for any procedure stuff I should do/clean out while in there, and misc small stuff to replace.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The timing set (from Saturn) is under $200....you'll have all the parts related to it off anyway to remove the head, and you can reuse them (and save the expense then) come rebuild time...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread