SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
mclarenf1gtrv12
mclarenf1gtrv12 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SC2
Thumbs Up opening up exhaust manifold

Yes i have been wondering if it is possible to tear out all that honey comb type material out of the exhaust manifold i was wondering what type of effect it could have and if it could create bad problems and also i would like to know if any one has a how to on doing that even though i know its simpler then hell to do , i just want to make sure. thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mclarenf1gtrv12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mclarenf1gtrv12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

You live in CALIFORNIA. That honeycomb is a precatlist REQUIRED for CA emmissions. Monkey with it, and or destroy it, and you won't pass CA emmissions.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:37 PM   #3
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

What year and car are you talking about?

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #4
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

I've replaced my Cali exhaust manifold.You should be able to pound out the element with ease.Mine was breaking up inside the
manifold and making a racket.So,wanting to be able to drive my car and pass inspection,I bought a brand new one for $271 from SPS.My local dealer wanted $319.
I recently passed the NY emissions test with ease.
I would'nt screw with it unless it's broken up like mine was.They will force you to buy a new one when they catch onto what you did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

Taking out the pre-catalyst won't likely cause you to fail an emissions test, as it's mostly there for cold-start emissions which isn't what most vehicle-inspection emissions tests check. However, removing or disabling an originally equipped emissions device from a vehicle is a violation of federal law in the US.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:23 AM   #6
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

They say you learn something new everyday...

I didn't know there was a precatalyst in the cali manifolds...

wow...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:27 AM   #7
mclarenf1gtrv12

2002 SL2
2001 SC2

yeah i know these things but my quesyion wasnt is if it was illegal it was can it be done and how to do it and if i do do it will it screw with my 02 sensor or what will happen. o and my saturn is a 02 sl2 and the only reason i would ever need to gett it smogged again is if i dont keep getting new tags for it and i let it sit . well thank you for your replies

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mclarenf1gtrv12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 AM   #8
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mclarenf1gtrv12
yeah i know these things but my quesyion wasnt is if it was illegal it was can it be done and how to do it and if i do do it will it screw with my 02 sensor or what will happen. o and my saturn is a 02 sl2 and the only reason i would ever need to gett it smogged again is if i dont keep getting new tags for it and i let it sit . well thank you for your replies
Listen to the above posters, there is nothing to be gained except breaking the law by removing the honeycomb substrate in your pre-cat. If it's a horsepower gain you are looking for, a cold air intake will be far more effective than punching out your cat, and a lot less illegal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:57 AM   #9
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

This is a popular mod in the Cougar community. The Cougar, being a V-6, has a "precat" on both manifolds, and a main catalytic converter behind the Y-pipe. Removing our precat material gets us 8-10 horsepower on the dyno.

There is a downstream O2 sensor on the Ford that measures precat efficiency, so we either buy or build "MIL Eliminators" that plug into the O2 sensor to stabilize the readings and prevent your Check Engine Light from lighting because of low precat efficiency.

Plenty of people in California and elsewhere have done this and passed emissions. The precat is there to control emissions during the first minute or less after a cold start.

The reason: catalysts do not work cold. The closer they are to the engine, the faster they heat up. Precats get up to operating temperature VERY quickly, due to their proximity to the combustion chamber. Later onm the main cat gets up to temp.

So the only stipulation with smog is that you must be tested at full operating temperature.

Amazinghl lives in cali, and has headers. His last smog sheet looked like Prius numbers, so those precats don't do a THING after the engine's warm..

But keep in mind, this is ILLEGAL. As is driving 56 or more in a 55 zone...

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn-Eh!
If it's a horsepower gain you are looking for, a cold air intake will be far more effective than punching out your cat, and a lot less illegal.
A lot less illegal, ROFL.

Quote:
Originally posted by bennett9000
Amazinghl lives in cali, and has headers. His last smog sheet looked like Prius numbers, so those precats don't do a THING after the engine's warm..
I just have one header.

I also have a OBD I car and did not come with a pre-cat.
Walker cat is what I have now..

00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #11
auxmike

I'd just leave it be.Besides it's about a 4 hour job {that's how long it took me}and a bit tricky to line up the AC compressor in it's bracket again too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #12
mclarenf1gtrv12

2002 SL2
2001 SC2

well from my understandin know it is possible to punch it out and pass smog so wait do they not test cold starting at smog test shopsor what and to all you guys out there who are tellin me not to do it why have a precat that restricts my exhaust and muffles the sound if i can just tear it out for a cost of nothing and still pass smog.

every little hp increase means a difference

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2003, 07:47 PM   #13
auxmike

Why?
Because some engineers spent a lot of time and money to fit that thing into your car to work in time with everything else!
I'm no "tree hugger" environmentalist,but I like the fact that I have TWO cats at bat for me when I go in for the very tough NY metro area smog test which involves your car being driven on a dyno.
I could have just banged out my old one too,but why gamble getting caught or just plain failing the test?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by bennett9000

Amazing's car is also a 93'. It never had a precat to remove, and has to pass less strict 93' OBD1 emmissions stnadards. Precats debued in in the OBD2 cars in 96' or so to meet the MUCH STRICKTER 96' standards. You have to remember that emmissions standards get TOUGHER every year, BUT older cars have to meet the OLDER standards, while newer cars must meet the standards for the year of their manufacture.

I will only add that "Removing or modifying an OEM emmissions componant, other than for repair or replacement with a like compoanat, is a violation of Federal law"

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #15
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

It was probably the introduction of the cold-start carbon monoxide emissions standards that led to the pre-catalysts being installed. Usually these standards don't take effect for one specific model year, they're phased in so that the first year, 20% of a manufacturer's vehicles must comply, the next year 80%, the next 100%, or something like that.

The air-injection system on the 2002 models was probably installed for the same reason. I would guess that a major reason for Saturn no longer using the 1.9L engine was its inability to meet the emissions standards without somewhat expensive add-ons like EGR, AIR and a pre-catalyst..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:24 PM   #16
auxmike

Great points.
I had a '74 Super Beetle that would'nt start unless the seatbelt was buckled!:o:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2003, 11:53 PM   #17
amazinghl
Master Member

That was the federal law.

00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2003, 02:34 AM   #18
purepwrSL2
purepwrSL2 is on a distinguished road

In NY state laws requires seat belts buckle up !! If caught without wearing it, $50 fine and possible adding points on your driver license . buckle up = save life. other states follows seat belts laws also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to purepwrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help purepwrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:20 AM   #19
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by auxmike
I had a '74 Super Beetle that would'nt start unless the seatbelt was buckled!:o:
I wish we had cars like that here in PA. It's unbelieveable the number of completely clueless people we have here. I guess they never heard how cops say they "Never unbuckled a dead person."

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #20
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Not to mention, leather seats don't hold the driver in place very well under hard cornering...

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread