SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #1
saturn4
saturn4 is on a distinguished road

Default 100hp lags

I never really noticed it b4 so it must have something to do with what I've been getting from this board. Or maybe its part of mid-life crisis....but I really noticed it today. My SL1 with 5 souls on board and the A/C running seemed to be a little tired. Show me the "performance" petetion. Now that I signed up with the GM Visa card I'll be looking foward to an SL2 or better 4 years from now at lease end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2001, 02:48 PM   #2
twstdstrn
twstdstrn is on a distinguished road

try an 85hp automatic 92 sl1 with the air on. it really sucks. I turn my air on at the lights and then turn it off when the light turns green.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twstdstrn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twstdstrn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 03:11 PM   #3
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

My 94 SL Manual doesn't do any better too. Whenever the AC's on and accel from dead stop, mine is the last in the pack.....turning off the AC during acceleration has a feeling of switch on the Turbo button, the car jumps without AC!

However; with 40+mpg out of this little Eco-SL, I'm not complaining how long I'd need to get up to speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #4
Richard
Richard is on a distinguished road

I just experienced that today myself - 2001 SL1. Accelerating from lights with the A/C on almost made it feel like the car was stuck in 2nd gear. But, I do agree that 40 mpg (or 38 in my case) is <blah> good! There's really not much you can do to improve performance with the A/C on, except buy a larger displacement engine.

I used to drive a '93 SL2a. I can't say there was much of a difference between that car and my '01 with the A/C on, although I never piled 4 other people in the car with me!

Just wait till 2003-2004 to cash in your GM dollars. Then we *should* have a turbo coupe!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Richard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Richard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 08:09 PM   #5
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the heck out of my 93 85hp SL1 especially the R12 a/c, much colder much quicker than my wife's 96SL2. I do find myself planting the right foot all the way down more with the a/c on tho, which cycles the compresser off (?) and gives me back the 20 or so hp that it takes away to keep my overdressed self cool. It's still a whole lot quicker than my last car, 86 Mazda GLC (67hp?) that thing had room for 4 or more people, but only enough power to take 1 up a hill, lol!
Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:30 PM   #6
YELO_SC2
YELO_SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

The air conditioning vs. acceleration issue is one thing that really surprised me about my 2001 SC2. When I had my 1995 SL2, the AC definitely impacted acceleration, but I was pleasantly surprised when first test-driving my new SC2 that it did not make a noticeable impact. I am now at 2,500 miles and still have not had the AC impact acceleration. What changes have been made to the AC system since '95 to cause this performance jump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YELO_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YELO_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 11:22 PM   #7
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Geo Metro. 55 horsepower. Now the real question is: What slows down the car faster, the brakes or turning on the A/C???

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2001, 11:56 PM   #8
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Yellow_2001 (06-20-2001 11:30 p.m.):
The air conditioning vs. acceleration issue is one thing that really surprised me about my 2001 SC2. When I had my 1995 SL2, the AC definitely impacted acceleration, but I was pleasantly surprised when first test-driving my new SC2 that it did not make a noticeable impact. I am now at 2,500 miles and still have not had the AC impact acceleration. What changes have been made to the AC system since '95 to cause this performance jump?
If that's the case, then indeed something has changed(sounds like for the better). My 92SC is slow to rev when the air is on, and just like someone else said, turning off the AC button when begin to accellerate does feel like a turbo boost. And this is a twin cam, so all you single cammers out there, youre not alone. Its not embarassingly slow with it on, but then again it doesn't feel all that peppy either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 06-21-2001, 07:47 PM   #9
KerryrreK
KerryrreK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pete93SL1M (06-20-2001 09:09 p.m.):
I enjoy the heck out of my 93 85hp SL1 especially the R12 a/c, much colder much quicker than my wife's 96SL2.

is the R12 an aftermarket a/c? If so, where did you get it? I was looking for a really good a/c to replace mine when it goes out, 125,000 miles and still going strong, but it was making a loud ticking/clicking noise at one time, gone now though. Oh well,

Kerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KerryrreK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KerryrreK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2001, 08:21 PM   #10
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

R12 is the old refrigerant, now replaced by R134. Since it's no longer legally produced, the price of R12 to recharge older systems has skyrocketed.

Most shops will now convert R12 systems to R134 if any major work is being done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:28 PM   #11
KerryrreK

<whisper> where can I get some of this...."R12"??</whisper><twist wiry mustache>

Kerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KerryrreK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:37 PM   #12
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

<whisper> I have a 20lb canister of this...R12...sitting in my shed. But I don't know how to get it to you. Look on the Internet--I'm sure you can find some. </whisper>

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:42 PM   #13
KerryrreK

I don't know much about a/c.....in fact....<cough>I know nothing, so what all is involved? I just buy this stuff, "drain" my old stuff out, put this in and "walla", colder air?

Kerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2001, 08:53 AM   #14
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A couple of posters on this board mentioned using the rebates earned on their GM Cards towards the purchase of their next Saturn. Unless I'm wrong ––or GM changed it's policy –– I don't think Saturn accepts GM Card rebates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2001, 11:03 AM   #15
chris00sw2
chris00sw2 is on a distinguished road

With my 2000 SW2, I can feel a *small* lag with the A/C - usually not noticeable unless you cycle the button at 3/4 throttle. You feel a small surge then.

I once carried five people in an old 82 Tercel I had, with a whopping 62 HP. The more exciting part was stopping that little beast with the extra 700lb or so of weight!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris00sw2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris00sw2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2001, 06:10 PM   #16
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

Kerry

Depending on the year of your car, you can or can't put in R12. All Saturns before 1995 use R12, unless they've been converted. All 1995+ models use the new R134a refrigerant. I know you can convert from R12 to R134a, but I don't know if you can go the other way around. I know that if you put R134a in an R12 system, it won't cool as well becuase R134a isn't as efficient of a refrigerant. You MIGHT be able to put R12 into your 134a system, but I'm not sure. I do know that R134a a/c system components are made much larger than R12 components to accomodate more refrigerant. I don't really know why the 134 systems you have seem to cool less efficiently than the R12 systems. Maybe Saturn didn't make the 134 systems bigger for some reason? Maybe Joey can help us out here if he's still around right now.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2001, 06:13 PM   #17
edwilson13185
Advanced Member

Kerry if you'd give me a little time, I can ask some of my friends who are into A/C work. If you have the 134 system and it isn't cooling well, you should check into a possible refrigerant leak. There is an ultriviolet dye that you can add to your system to find refrigerant leaks. Now THAT I could have shipped to you if you needed it. Let me know what you'd like me to do. If I can help you any more, let me know.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2001, 11:21 PM   #18
KerryrreK

No, my a/c is working fine really. It's just as cold as the when it was new, but my dad's in his Buick makes the car freezing in a matter of seconds in 100 degree heat! I'm just looking for a way to make my system perform better than stock. If you can get me some more info Saturnfan it would be greatly appreciated!

Kerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2001, 01:54 PM   #19
beasjd

The GM card does NOT work towards Saturns, Saabs, or EV1s. The fine print will get you every time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beasjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beasjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 06-25-2001, 11:01 PM   #20
saturn4
saturn4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
beasjd (06-25-2001 02:54 p.m.):
The GM card does NOT work towards Saturns, Saabs, or EV1s. The fine print will get you every time.
This is on another thread but I'll reply here. I mentioned that here in Canada it DOES apply and that's in the fine print. Sorry if it doesn't apply in the US of A. Saturns are marketed in Canada by GMCanada under Saturn,Saab,Izuzu. The GM Visa earns points towards them all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread