SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 11-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Kit1111
Kit1111 is on a distinguished road

Default Gauges stopped working

2008 Vue XE gas gauge and speedometer stopped working after leaving car stored for 6 months in Florida.
There was also about 2 gallons of water I took out of the riverside floor ca RT peys and felt and sponge rubber along with mold everywhere.
I tried the techtron fuel additive but that did not fix the fuel gauge. I replaced a rear wheel speed sensor after getting a code at the auto part store.
That didn't fix the speedometer.
After reading multiple posts over a few weeks I'm thinking the bcm could have been damaged by the water vapor in the car and wonder if that bcm controls the fuel and speedo??
Oh the tach and mileage indicator still work oerfectly.
Any ideas- thanks for any help.
Kit1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Gauges stopped working

The bcm controls everything the engine computer doesn't. The ECMs only job is to run the EFI system, cruise control and collect engine errors, feeding them to the bcm to send them thru the OBD II port. The abs and airbag systems have their own modules and send error codes thru the bcm.

The bcm runs all lighting, inside and out, has Passlock security to ensure an ignition key is turned before sending a security signal to the ecm to allow engine running. If security flashes, the bcm sends a signal to the ecm. The ecm disables injector operation - starting without injectors effectively disables the engine. The instrument panel lights and gauges are driven by the bcm so it may be sensors, bcm or connections to the bcm. Water vapor can accelerate corrosion but most electrical connections use a combination of tin plated terminals or plain brass for corrosion prevention. The engine compartment isn't weather or water proof but silicone gaskets are used in many plugs to make them water resistant. The same for the evap and fuel system connections. Inside the fuel tank is a whole separate issue if the float sensor becomes faulty. Since the tank holds moisture and fuel vapors, it's anyone's guess if the tank float corroded. Best you can do is fill up the tank several times, running each tank down to exercise the float mechanism and electrical sensor in hopes of fuel cleaning the open circuit board. Gasoline is a solvent so it cleans and degreases metal parts. This addresses the tank and wiring only. The same for the speedo being inoperative.

I cannot recall what sensor īs used for the speedometer but signals are sent to the bcm to drive the speedo. The instrument panel single connector and bcm may be suspect. Simply disconnecting all relevant connections and reconnecting them exercises the electrical terminals if any corrosion occurred. You'll also see any corrosion too. Electrical contact cleaner is another way to clean terminals. High moisture is part of vehicle design so it's not unexpected for high humidity occurring in vehicles. If water soaks into wiring and connections, they may need mopping up then either blow dried with low air pressure and or heat gun to evaporate remaining moisture from terminals.

I would do everything to address the flood, carefully examining for soaked wiring and connections. Remove water and moisture where necessary to ensure clean corrosion free connections and hope the problems disappear before considering partial bcm failure.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Kit1111
Kit1111 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all that great information.
I will keep trying on the connections as suggested.
Will advise
Kit1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm not sure about a 2008, but on my 2003 there is a major body electrical connector on the drivers side floor kick panel that is know for bad connections.

The main engine wiring harness plugs in there
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote