SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-15-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Rasbora
Rasbora is a jewel in the roughRasbora is a jewel in the roughRasbora is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Can you get a false positive for a lost communication to the Body Control Module?

I have a 2006 Saturn VUE, 2.2L. I got a U0140 Lost Communication to The Body Control Module error. Short story is I am wondering if the fact that I don't have the seats in yet or the wire for the air bags connected yet, could this cause that error. I did have some other issues, but before I buy a new BCM, I wanted to verify that it couldn't be a false positive. The longer story is that I have just completed rebuilding my engine and reinstalling it. I just started connecting the Positive battery cable, and it had a spark, so I stopped. I used a multi-tester and checked the ohms between the negative cable and a point on the frame for a baseline and it was about 1.75 Ohms. I then tested between the negative battery cable and the positive terminal on the fuse box. I got a reading of 1.7 Ohms. I quickly verified that I had a ground connection to the frame and to the engine block below the heads, and a positive connection to the starter and the fuse box terminal. I disconnected the positive cable from the fuse box and tested to the fuse box terminal from ground and still showed 1.7 Ohms. I pulled the fuse box apart and the Ohm reading was infinite. I found that one cable on one of the small plugs appeared to be kinked and when I looked closer wire was exposed. I insulated the wire and put the fuse back together and saw the same size spark. I did notice that I could see a dome light on, and I kept hearing a solenoid click near the dash. I climbed inside and sat on the floor and had my son touch the positive cable to the battery. I noticed both dome lights in the front were on even though all doors were closed and they weren't manually turned on, the dash lights were on even though the key was off, I heard that click, and a sound from the speaker and my brake lights were on. I disconnected the radio and the speaker sound stopped. I disconnected one plug at a time from the BCM and the dome lights turned off and the clicking sound stopped. I plugged in my code tester and received a U0140 Lost Communication to The Body Control Module error. That brings me back to the first paragraph of this post. I think I need to replace the BCM, but I wanted to check first. Any thoughts?
Rasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Can you get a false positive for a lost communication to the Body Control Module?

I think you're second guessing without some basic knowledge of electricity, EFI systems and the the role body control modules serve in our computerized vehicles that can mislead anyone. Reconnecting the battery always results in powering circuits even with ignition off. Live memory resides in the engine computer, bcm, radio and OnStar. Memory power is insignificant, on the order of a few milliamps but if your Vue has courtesy lights that turn on when a door is opened, the bcm controls all lighting and turned on the dome light. Even if dots are closed when reconnecting the battery, the ecm and bcm were reset. Dome lights and any other light turned on during battery connect usually results in a little spark created because of the current draw. Any relay powering on at this time also draws current so electrically adding up all the current drawn on battery reconnect was displayed by a little spark. The instrument panel have a combination of incandescent lamps and leds. The incandescent laps draw more current than leds so this adds to the spark generation. Most battery reconnects results in some sparking but not worth concern. Simply replacing a battery results in some sparking with zero issues.

There's no reason to measure resistance between positive and negative cables with battery out of the circuit. A continuity test for wire resistance to determine if it's damaged with low resistance values under a few ohms would be insignificant as resistance may occur between meter probes and physical contact to metal. Good practice is to touch probes together prior to resistance testing to see what probe resistance is before performing resistance testing. Oxidation contributes to false resistance values with probes. I do this every time I use a multimeter when resistance testing. Meter probes wear off their nickel(?) plating, exposing brass and may create some resistance for false readings. Beware of test instruments and their built in faults before using them.

The ecm, bcm and radio have live memory and are always powered even with ignition off. Memory draws a few milliamps. The bcm turning on the instrument panel and brake lights may be an issue or not as restoring power can sometimes have unusual effects. Under normal conditions, it's always recommended to connect battery positive first then connect battery negative as service manuals stipulate. Whether your reverse procedure caused these problems is unknown at this point. Check for blown fuses and try recommended power connections with battery positive cable connection first then battery negative. The bcm also has Passlock programming and may trigger security, the horn and flashing lights may turn on but cycling remote buttons should reset security (or turning on ignition).

Disconnecting any plug to the bcm is most likely the reason for the error code.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Rasbora
Rasbora is a jewel in the roughRasbora is a jewel in the roughRasbora is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Can you get a false positive for a lost communication to the Body Control Module?

Thanks for the reply. I connected the parts I had unplugged, and put the seats in and connected all the wire, and did the same for the center console and the console with the radio. I reconnected the battery and for about a minute all kinds of lights and alarms went off. I turned off the ignition and back on again and after the normal process everything stabilized. I checked the codes again and all errors were gone. I tried to crank it again, and this time it cranked, but no start. I placed a bit of fuel in the intake and it still didn't fire. I verified there was fuel another way by depressing the pressure relief valve and gas escaped. Before I had started rebuilding the engine I verified that it started. I can't imagine the coil went bad, but I will test it. I have tested fuses. Can you think of any other reason it won't fire? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your 2.2L is relatively easy to test for spark and fuel but not by pressing on the fuel test valve. All it does is verify whether or not fuel is present on the fuel rail feeding fuel to injectors. Fuel spraying out indicates fuel pressure. A fuel pressure gauge, borrowed from AutoZone can tell you what pressure is. Fuel and pressure only means its available to injectors. This doesn't tell you if injectors are operating. To determine if injectors are operating after several starting attempts; remove spark plugs and check for wet fuel on plugs or strong smell. When the engine turns over whether starting or running, injectors are pulsing. Fuel and pressure will push fuel out injectors when the ecm commands injector operation. With plugs removed, a spark test can be performed.

Reassemble plugs to the coil pack/icm and reconnect wiring to it. Wire plug bases to engine ground. Remove either the fuel pump fuse or pump relay to prevent fuel entering cylinders. Have someone turn ignition to START While you observe for spark on plugs. The loss of compression allows the engine to spin up faster. Once the spark test is done, reconnect pump fuse or relay.

Attempting a spark and fuel test can help narrow the problem to one or the other. Be sure all fuses are ok, none blown.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for the info. I will work on those tests and l will you know the results. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I cranked the engine and then pulled a plug. There was not any smell of gas and the plugs weren't wet. I grounded the spark plugs and got spark on them. I put it back together, leaving the air system off. Got some starting fuel and showed my son where to spray it. When I cranked it, the engine fired and tried to run. I know I have fuel as far as the bar, but it doesn't appear the injectors are working.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Amazing!? Your'e on a roll now. Narrowing this problem from either a spark or fuel issue, verifying spark visually then using starting fluid with the engine firing up eliminated many things. Not seeing or smelling fuel on plugs is another hint of a fuel issue.

All injectors are powered from one injector fuse in the engine fuse panel. Pull it to see if the element burned out or measure for 12v on both sides of it in place with negative probe on engine ground. Ignition must be turned on for injector power. If 12v is measured on both sides of the fuse, this covers injector power but not wiring to injectors. All injectors are wired in parallel. If you measure from both sides of one or all injectors with negative probe to engine ground, you should have 12v. The ecm electronically switches ground to each injector in a precise timed pulse for fuel injection. Be sure there is fuel pressure on the fuel rail. Use a pressure gauge if necessary or at least verify a strong spray of fuel comes out the fuel test valve after ignition is turned on. Another issue from injectors failing to pulse would be GMs Passlock security being enabled and actively disabling injector operation.

Passlock security uses the EFI system to disable part of its EFI system. In Saturn Vues, the anti theft system, when enabled and active, flashes the security indicator and disables injector operation. The starter can crank until either it burns out or the battery dies but the engine will never fire up since the EFI system has its injector circuitry disabled. Flashing security is the only tell tale (led) indicator. The security indicator mode; off, on, blinking once every 2-3 seconds or flashing quickly. If its flashing during starting, a 10 minute reset is needed by leaving ignition ON until the flashing security light switches on or off then cycling ignition off. The next key turn should result in the security indicator turning on with the rest of the instrument panel lights then turn off to indicate Passlock is disabled to allow normal startup.

The bcm has GMs Passlock program and sends either a go or no-go signal to the ecm to enable or disable injector operation.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 11-23-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #8
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I tried the reset the security system even though I didn't see any security lights. It didn't make any difference. I may not have done it right so I will try it again tomorrow. On the next part I wasn't completely clear on how to test both sides of the injector connections, so I unplugged an injector connection and tested both sides to ground and didn't get any voltage readings. I connected the connector to the old injector (I had replaced them all) so I could feel the tick when or if it turned on. I had my son crank the engine, and it started and ran! I had him shut it off and I moved the connector to the installed injector and then tried again. It would not start. I hooked up the old injector again and tried again to start it. It would not start. I have no clue why it ran, and now won't start. Thanks for your patience on this.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One easy confirmation of security working correctly; turn on ignition and observe the instrument panel lights and indicators - all cycle on for a few seconds (including security) then turn off (including security) except brake, oil and battery indicators. Seeing security cycle on then off at ignition on time verifies GMs Passlock security is operating correctly. If you see security operating correctly as described, move on.

Ignition must be turned on for the EFI system to have power. While many aren't aware, the entire EFI system is alive; injectors have power, the engine computer is alive but waiting on the crank sensor signals before operating ignition for spark and pulsing injectors. The fuel pump runs too when the ecm receives crank sensor signals. In effect, the EFI system is alive when ignition is turned on. As soon as the engine is turned over with the starter, the EFI system immediately generates spark and injector pulses at precisely the right time because the ecm is synched to crank sensor timing signals.

Measuring for 12v on injector connections requires ignition on. Both sides of each connector has 12v with one wire electronically open. That wire is electronically grounded When the ecm commands a ground pulse to fire the injector. The engine firing up verifies the ecm, injector wiring and injectors are operating with one old injector.

When rebuilding the engine did you replace injectors with exact replacements. If other than oem stock injectors, incorrect ones may create unusual problems like too much current draw, higher resistance resulting in injectors not powering up for each pulse, etc. If one old injector allowed the engine to run, perhaps putting the old injectors back may allow this engine to run.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I was holding the old injector in my hand to see if I could feel the click when the injector fired, however I can easily put the old ones back in to test that.

I will let you know the results.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2020, 11:50 PM   #11
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I pulled the new injectors and put the old ones back in, but it didn't make any difference, still no fuel. I decided to pull the connectors from the ECM and make sure they were seated right. I also blew air onto them in case anything had gotten in. The one looked fine, but the one closer to the air intake had white stringy stuff coming out of many of the pin holes. It also appeared to be stretchy. Is there some sort water repellent or other chemical that is supposed to be in the holes or is it a contaminant?
Old 11-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm sorry for your efforts, switching suspect injectors for old ones and still having injector issues. I was hoping incorrect injectors created problems for the ecm, preventing it from operating injectors. I think (if you're willing) retracing a few steps is needed insofar as injector wiring to ecm. There are only four issues I can think of preventing the ecm from operating injectors; ecm fault, ecm to injector wiring, power to injectors, injector faults. A fifth issue might be Passlock security; when enabled and active with the security light flashing, injectors are disabled. A theft attempt. The security light turns on then off when ignition is turned on. Please verify whether or not you see the security light cycling on then off when turning on ignition.

Passlock security must be off before the next two steps. If security is flashing or the led is broken but security is active, injectors may not have power to them.

In easy to difficult troubleshooting steps, checking for 12v fused power on the single injector fuse should be a first step. Ignition must be ON to measure both sides of the fuse for power with the ground probe placed on either chassis or engine grounds. There are tiny metal probe points on blade fuses to place a multimeter probe on them to measure for voltage on both sides of fuses in place. Each exposed metal is part of the fuse blade straddling the fuse element. If the fuse blows, only one side will show power. Removing a fuse is always the easier way to ensure the fuse 'S' element is intact. Ensuring 12v is available and across both sides of the injector fuse presumes 12v power is fed to injector wiring.

As mentioned previously, ignition on feeds 12v power to all injectors on both sides of each connection (measured to ground). All injectors should have 12v sitting on their connections. This would be step two. Injectors must have 12 volts before the ecm can electronically switch a ground connection on one side of one injector to power it for a timed pulse. This presumes fuel pressure on each injector waiting for the power pulse so fuel can spray when an injector is pulsed to open its valve.

These two steps of measuring for 12v across the main injector fuse and injector connectors at ignition ON time are necessary before moving on.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 11-29-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #13
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

Thanks. I will redo those steps. What about the substance coming out of the ECM connector when air is blown in?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think all Saturns never used dielectric compound, a greasy silicone like substance to coat electrical connections for a water/moisture repellent. Small packets are sold at auto stores to grease spark plug boots, preventing them from overheating, melting and bonding to spark plugs. Dried out boots glued from high heat bonds them to the ceramic body. One electric motorcycle featured using a lot of it on electrical connections to the main circuit board to guard against water invasion, possibly interfering with signals. Enclosing the circuitry in a water resistant metal box. GM, to my knowledge (as little as it is), doesn't use it except in various switchgear like ignition switches, radio volume control, turn signal contacts, power windows, power door locks etc. Long term reliability with a little dielectric grease helps reduce contact wear and corrosion while lubing for less friction. Large connections like ecm, bcm, tcm, abs, airbags - no. If used, more complaints would be posted about them than understanding the reason for using it.

Electrical contact cleaner sprayed onto these connectors can flush away most of it while an old toothbrush removes the rest. Examine connections, male and female for damage, loose, spread terminals that may not result in good physical contact to its mate.
VCX NANO
Old 11-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #15
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

Thanks. I will get the cleaner and get the connectors clean and then proceed with the other steps. I will let you know what happens.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I cleaned up the connectors, which made no difference. I tested the injector fuse and had 12 VDC on both sides. I tested a fuse injector connector and it was open on both pins while the ignition was in the on position. Although I didn't see anything odd with the security light (it did come on when the key was first turned the the on position but went out almost immediately), I did turn the ignition to the on position, and then waited ten minutes and turned the key off. I then attempted to start it and it still failed. It still cranked and it still has spark, but no fuel. At this point I have no clue, but I'm not going to let it beat me.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Great follow-up! I think you're narrowing the problem down.

1- verifying 12v power to both sides of the injector fuse with ignition ON is meaningful. Not seeing 12 on any injector connector means something's wrong.

2- with ignition ON, all injector connectors are supposed to have 12v power (measured to ground). There's break in wiring somewhere between the injector fuse to wiring harness to injectors.

When you opened the fuse box to examine wiring, you may have disrupted wiring. Review in your mind what you did previously as you may have to disassemble the fuse box again and carefully note which wires are for injectors among the mess of wiring inside. External to fuse wiring, examine the injector wiring harness and follow it back to the fuse box if you can. A break or disconnection seems be between injector fuse and wiring to injectors. If you do go back into the fuse box, tread lightly.

I had to examine fuse box wiring and was very reluctant, knowing the tangle of wiring inside. The only reason was to disconnect the fuse box mounting bolts from the battery tray as I was modifying the battery tray (extended bracket) for new braces to hold a different battery. Battery tray removed, additional angle iron braces added, wire brushed before painting (from years of corrosion). I was very careful trying not to upset wiring inside the fuse box and creating new mystery problems.
VCX NANO
Old 12-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #18
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #19
Rasbora

2006 VUE 2.2L

I pulled the fuse box apart and was starting to trace wires. I found continuity on the 12v wire for the first fuel injector. Today I was showing my son where it was, and now it didn't trace out. I went back to first fuel injector and started working backwards. At the first connector on the half of the plug that continued on to the fuse box I saw a bit of shining metal. When I looked closer it was the back of the socket that the pin was supposed to connect to. The socket was not seated in the connector. I push it back in, but it didn't stay. I pushed it in again using the tip of one of my multi tester probes and it clicked in place. I put all the fuse box parts back together and tried to start it again, and it immediately fired up. I let it run for awhile. and shut it down. I waited for awhile and tried again, and it still works. I think that did it!

Thank you very much for all your help. Your guidance was great!