SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Saturn Graft the Front of the Quad Coupe onto the ION Sedan?
Yes 77 65.25%
No 41 34.75%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 11:59 PM   #21
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

You know, the rounded roofline might not even be so bad if they de-emphasized the roof rails. If they put on smaller roof rails, and did something to soften the appearance of that C pillar, it would look pretty sharp!

I'd also make the back of the car less "droopy" by giving it smaller tail lights, with the lines accentuated in the horizontal instead of the vertical. Think Audi A4. (I think the ION looks too tall in its present form.)

Another thing I would do is take out that gouge in the side of the car, which looks like an afterthought, and replace it with a more subtle "swoosh" lower down, like on the S Series.

Then, you'd have an ION sedan that I think looks pretty cool, at least on the outside! The interior needs a total makeover as well.

I still wouldn't buy one, though, unless they gave it a fully independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. It's the principle as much as anything else - I refuse to replace my car with one that has a beam axle rear suspension and drum brakes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 AM   #22
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Oh wow! I was also skeptical at first, but now that I see it I think that looks great! Of the front ends, I like the QC's better and of the rear ends I like the Sedan's better. IMO, I think this concept splendidly combines the best of both worlds.

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

Last edited by Cap138; 11-05-2003 at 12:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:42 AM   #23
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Yes. It looks better than the quad coupe. I'd almost consider buying it, provided it came with wheels and tires like that.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 AM   #24
TommyH
TommyH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I'm guessing that, in theory, this wouldn't be all that hard to build because of using rouphly the same front end but different skins.

I'm guessing that all you wold really need is a whole sedan or one with a lightly dammaged front end and just the undammaged front of a QC. these cars have been out for over a year now so I'm sure that someone somewhere has destroyed one of these already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 PM   #25
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

The sedan takes on a more sporting character with the QC's snout grafted on. This would not be an expensive alteration and probably help boost sedan sales.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #26
Airenping
Airenping is on a distinguished road

I also think it looks better, but lets keep a little difference between the cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Airenping's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Airenping reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:54 PM   #27
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I think the sedan looks better with the QC nose, and that the QC nose has alot of visual features which tie it in with the S-Series and first gen L-Series. If I saw an Ion sedan a year ago without any badging, I would have never guessed it was a Saturn by looking at it from a distance.

But I like how Saturn has kept the styling between the sedans and coupes different in the past (well at least the up level coupes )

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 AM   #28
bodie
bodie is on a distinguished road

Yes and more needs to be done. Sales are way off considering this car replaced the rather bland S series. The Redline is a cool idea but way to costly for most buyers to consider and maintain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bodie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bodie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #29
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

I kinda like the differentiation between the two models. Leave that there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03VUEAWDVTI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03VUEAWDVTI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 06:05 PM   #30
bravesfann23
bravesfann23 is on a distinguished road

Think that would be sweet if they did that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravesfann23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravesfann23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:11 PM   #31
GRRONK
GRRONK is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

That would be an great improvement from that metal toothed grill on the sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GRRONK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GRRONK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:47 AM   #32
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

They should graft the rear end of the coupe to the sedan. I like the front of the sedan, but the Altima trunklid has GOT to go...

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) • 99 SW2 (2002-2009) • 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 • 03 SVT Focus #2370 • 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 • 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #33
sstar
sstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

When I first saw the QC, I thought Saturn should have put that front on the sedan. However, as time went buy, I started to like the sedan better. To me it looks more like a Saturn then the QC. I don't think of the QC's front as more aggressive. It looks more sporty. And since when is more aggressive automatically better anyway? The QC has a totally different effect then the sedan. I think they should leave it that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #34
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

I always thought they should do SOMETHING about that front end. It sticks out like a sore thumb.. Ugh. The front end of the quad coupe is really nice. It has an aggressive stance and doesn't look so bulky.. It's very sporty looking. Not saying that aggressive is for everyone, but it is definately for me.. *lol*
If I had to buy a Saturn tomorrow, and all of the S-series were gone, I'd go for the Quad Coupe or the VUE, but the sedan looks sad..

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #35
Red_Forman
Red_Forman is on a distinguished road

That's the way it should have been done from the beginning!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red_Forman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red_Forman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #36
IONU
IONU is on a distinguished road

The 20 foot view looks pretty cool, but doesn't everyone see the hacked nature of this conversion? This idea REQUIRES new front fenders to be halfway saleable. The QCs front wheel lips have about twice the flat surface area around the wheel openings as the sedan's, so the front fenders look like the junkyard scrounge job they are. Also notice the mismatch between the hood/fender and the door in the mirror area (where does the thin spear that runs along the sedan's front doors go? OOPS.). Im sure there is also a triangular gap big enough to put your fingers through at the front of the door swoosh. This "concept" is one of those neat ideas that someone dreamed up but didn't have the common sense or money to do the job right. This is an idea worth pursuing, but not a "do-it-at-home" kind of job.

At first glance it DOES look more aggressive, just needs more refinement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONU's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONU reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #37
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I have a couple more criticisms, if you'll indulge me! Those side marker lights look a little too orange, know what I mean? Can't you still have amber lights without making them look so, um, amber?

And speaking of amber lights, they should have amber turn signals on the rear! The S Series did, but Saturn obviously made the ION's tail lamps use only one kind of bulb to save a few bucks. The right thing to do would be to go back to amber rear flashers.

But the main thing I wanted to add to my list of changes is the following:

I was looking at an ION today, and it struck me that the side panels are very flat. They don't bulge much like those on the S Series, and that contributes to the "slab sided" look. The ION is taller than the S Series, so that last thing it needs is flat sides that accentuate the height.

The front fenders seem okay on this version, but it's the same old flat sides from the doors on back. I wouldn't make them overly bulging, but just a little more muscular, like the S Series. (I think the first generation SC is still one of the best looking cars out there!)

I do like the wheels on that ION, though!

Last edited by VTHokie00SL2; 11-12-2003 at 09:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 PM   #38
matt2791
matt2791 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I think it looks odd- it would really have to grow on me. But maybe it's a "color issue"- I'm a Silver Car type of guy- show me one on silver and I may drool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to matt2791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help matt2791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:18 AM   #39
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Saturn needs to do whatever it takes to make the ION a hit. Saturn needs make the ION more agressive .They need to go after the youth market with performance. They need to be able to compete with the likes of Honda and Accura as far as speed and handling are concerned and the key is they need to do it for less which has always been a Saturn trademark. The Redline is a step in the right direction. Saturn seems to be on there own because the magazine publishes will not lift a finger to help,they always seem to just hold the bashing section in their articles for Saturn products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #40
Roly
Roly is on a distinguished road

Cool

No way; i like it just the way it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Roly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Roly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread