SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 11-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
MGSYSTMZ2
MGSYSTMZ2 is on a distinguished road

Default 09 Saturn Vue XR Parking Brake Lever

Hello All.
I've been a member here since aprox 2010.However had to recently create an new account due to technicalities...
I've had very little problems, if any, since originally purchasing my XR *NEW* back in 2009.
My vehicle has always been dealer maintained since day one.
I recently found I cannot engage my parking brake.
Was told today by my dealer. The main cable had sleazed and broke.

The cable is part of the lever assy, and is not sold separately from GM.
The complete Parking Brake Lever Assembly must be replaced.
GM Part#25867274,96625858. Has been discontinued.
What am I to do now??
MGSYSTMZ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 09 Saturn Vue XR Parking Brake Lever

A little common sense may help prevent the shift lever from becoming jammed in Park position by not parking on any incline. If the parking brake is damaged and cannot be used, parking on inclined streets using the shift lever to lock the vehicle from moving can result in jamming the shift lever when the brake pedal is released as the weight of the vehicle forces the xmission locking pawl against its bracket when it's not designed for this. As you know, it's always wise to set the parking brake on hilly streets setting the front wheels towards the curb if the vehicle decides to roll when shifting into Park and parking brake fails. Setting the front wheels into the curb presets the vehicle to roll into the curb and stop any travel. Downhill parking - steer into the curb when shifting to park. Uphill parking - steer away from the curb. This is the safest parking mode regardless of a broken parking brake. A simple test by shifting into neutral on a hill with steering set and brake pedal released should result in the vehicle rolling into the curb to stop any travel. The curb is used as a one wheel chock. Parking on a hill and turning the wheel so the vehicle drives into the curb then applying brakes before shifting to Park should reduce the tendency of the shifter being jammed when restarting and shifting from park to D ro R.

1-Try searching extensively, everywhere on GM sites.

2-Call GM and ask for assistance on discontinued parts.

3-Check ebay and craigslist for new or used parts. Other sites too.

4-Salvage yards in your area or online for used parts.

5-Finding a place able to understand your predicament and fabricate an exact replacement cable set can be done but only from someone familiar with brake cables, fittings, etc, unique to each vehicle manufacturer.

An unknown source similar to your predicament are hydraulic hoses and fittings. Another unknown are vehicle ac hoses and fittings. In casual searches over the years, I've found both sites that distribute hoses and fittings along with tooling to repair shops investing in fabrication of hoses with fittings for local areas and online. Simply finding these sites means anything can be custom made to replace discontinued or rare parts difficult to find or unavailable. Simple mechanical skills and familiarity with special tooling allows almost anyone to fabricate replacement parts. Whether a hydraulic repair shop or ac repair shop catering to a large area, making parts from scratch is easy when a damaged part in presented to fab a replacement. While this is guessing on my part, I'm sure there are places, possibly online that can make a replacement brake cable as long as they have an original or manufacturing specs to follow.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Is it different part than Chevy captiva?
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
MGSYSTMZ2

Same part# for 09,10. Captiva LS.
2011 not listed and 2012 different system.
Discontinued.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSYSTMZ2 View Post
Same part# for 09,10. Captiva LS.
2011 not listed and 2012 different system.
Discontinued.
The Captiva uses an electric park brake system. That's why there isn't a front park brake cable or lever listed for it.

Are they sure the front cable is the one that broke? It seems far more likely to me that one or both of the rear cables seized/broke. If the front one is in fact the problem, your only option is finding a used one from a junkyard.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 200K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 60K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
MGSYSTMZ2

I am sure.

The hunt begins.20201104_101100.jpg
Old 11-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
MGSYSTMZ2

I wonder if this could be repaired simply using a Marine Eye End,or a Sta-lock type terminal?.
I dont see why not.
Either method could potentially save me several hundreds in labor cost.

Last edited by MGSYSTMZ2; 11-04-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSYSTMZ2 View Post
I wonder if this could be repaired simply using a Marine Eye End,or a Sta-lock type terminal?.
I dont see why not.
Either method could potentially save me several hundreds in labor cost.
Yes, it's definitely bad. I didn't think that first cable went under the floor like it does. I thought it was in the cabin which is why I was skeptical it was bad.

I don't think there's enough cable left to work with those alternative solutions.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 200K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 60K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
MGSYSTMZ2

Correct.The cable attaches to the Assy from inside and then runs thru the floor.

Without a doubt.There no salvaging the cable end that attaches to the splitler.

That being said.
I see no reason why the splitter itself cannot be removed,rivet drilled out, and install a new (longer) Marine Eye (EY1) Terminal or a Swag- less variant to re-attach the remaining cable.

My Vue has been Dealer maintained since DAY 1. with routine "Prevenative Maintenance" checks/services supposedly performed annually and sometimes twice within a yr....
What have I been paying them to do.????
There's was no reason for this to have happened.