SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 10-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Banton27
Banton27 is a jewel in the roughBanton27 is a jewel in the roughBanton27 is a jewel in the rough

Default anyone know how to remove the steering rack ?

or is it possible to change the smaller pipes on the steering rack with the rack still in place? there seems to be some kind of clips holding in the pipe, not sure how to take them off. one side has the clips the other side is a bolt and a bracket holding the 2 pipes in.
(would put pics but not sure how)
Banton27 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: anyone know how to remove the steering rack ?

There are some UK videos on YouTube for the Astra MK 5 (or H) which might help.

Note a few different racks and brands were used in the Astra. Not sure what came to North America, but I do think there were also differences here between the XE and XR models.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Banton27
Banton27 is a jewel in the roughBanton27 is a jewel in the roughBanton27 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reply, yes i seen some on YouTube not very thorough all though useful, but all involve lowering or removing the upper frame , which i am really trying to avoid
Old 10-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banton27 View Post
Thanks for the reply, yes i seen some on YouTube not very thorough all though useful, but all involve lowering or removing the upper frame , which i am really trying to avoid
Have a look here, part 1 of 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZR6s147CdE
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Out of curiosity, I assume you're dealing with a leak? Did you find it in one of the lines? Had a leak about 18 months ago that I treated (not fixed) with stop-leak, but couldn't get a consensus from the mechanics on where it was leaking. One said pump, one said rack (in two places??). Frankly, I don't really put much faith in either...

Would be nice to do a permanent fix. In my case, the puddle was toward the firewall, underneath the reservoir / electric PS pump (near passenger side wheel).
Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Banton27

yes i have a leak, if you look at the rack itself there are 2 small lines that run from one side of the rack to the other, its leaking on the driver side of those lines right at the joint. i tried the stop leak but all the fluid leaked out in another day or so . maybe i should try another bottle??

did they give you a quote for pump or rack replacement ?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

I never got an exact number, sadly. The first shop (the pump diagnosis) wasn't confident in their diagnosis, to their credit, and they told me to take it to shop #2 without any charge. They said the rack was leaking "at both sides" (which I found odd, there was only one puddle), and the quote was north of $1200 if I remember correctly, largely labor as the cradle had to come out.

I was days from moving 600 miles to the east so I said screw it, put in most of a bottle of Lucas power steering fluid with stop leak, threw it on a trailer, and dragged it to our new house. That was about 18 months and 26,000 miles ago and there's been no reemergence of a leak. I did install an inline fuse and a switch because the fluid is way more viscous and the pump complains a bit in cold weather. I just shut it off in the winter and enjoy the upper-body workout. Truth is, the car has little wheels and it really isn't too bad, and driving in the snow is MUCH better.

I figure eventually my bodging will let go and I'll have to fix it for real, so it would be good to know if you're successful in line replacement. The car is worth so little at this point that a full rack replacement doesn't make a ton of sense.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Banton27

man, cars its always something!!! lol

the part i need is discontinued here, ordered it from gmpartsgiant and in 4 hours i got a refund, no explanation so i figure the part is out of stock too.
now trying other places.

actually took the part off, sanded it a little and put some epoxy , put new orings , closed it all up and guess what, ,still leaking from the same spot! so tired lol
Old 11-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Quote:

the part i need is discontinued here, ordered it from gmpartsgiant and in 4 hours i got a refund, no explanation so i figure the part is out of stock too.
now trying other places.

actually took the part off, sanded it a little and put some epoxy , put new orings , closed it all up and guess what, ,still leaking from the same spot! so tired lol
Dang! I feel you man I feel you lol. That's one of the things I don't like about modern cars. Such a pain to work on them always! No matter what they are, I don't care if it's a honda, it's still a literal pain!
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:

now trying other places.

Would it be possible to cut the line at the leak and then use a compression tube to tube steel fitting the rejoin it ?
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #11
Banton27

Quick update !!

So not long after my last post, did some research and seen the part that was leaking on my astra could be replaced, its called a pipe kit part number 93189020, the part was discontinued in Canada, luckily I was able to find it on eBay. Also , I was able to replace with the rack still in place . To date , no leak. Knock on wood !!

Thanks for the replies !
Old 01-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #12
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that obscure part number. This will save some people a lot of time and money.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
tackepj

2008 Astra XE

Nice! Congrats on the repair. What exactly is in this kit? Noticed that it is listed as "with quick ratio"...wonder if this is only for the XR, or if it would work on the XE too?