SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
bob15468
bob15468 is on a distinguished road

Default Been a long time....

Been a long time since I've been on here. Still have the old Astra. She's been in my garage collecting dust for the last 5 years. Lack of time and money made it to where a check engine light has her off the road because of Texas state inspections.

Well she's my project car now that I have the time and space to work on her. Gotta get her legal, then fix the A/C. Then the fun begins.

I will be putting the Koni Yellow struts on the front that I bought a long time ago as well as the Dbilas intake manifold that I bought from "roman numeral dude" 10ish years ago. I'm a really bad procrastinator....I will try to keep this updated if anybody cares. First day really working on it should be this Friday.
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 DR black 5Spd
B&G Lowering Springs
Dbilas Flowtec Intake Manifold---coming soon
Koni Struts
Bilstein rear shocks
bob15468 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Been a long time....

Great!

I don't know the "recommended" safety procedures for starting a modern car off long-term storage. A few random things I have seen and heard.

Before starting, consider changing out the fuel, brake fluid, oil, coolant, transmission oil as well since these deteriorate as well.

I have seen lubrication of systems and cylinders before first start.

Maybe change the air and cabin air filters for mold.

Check the date code of your tires as those deteriorate and might be at or beyond the safe limit.

Not sure how people clean out the fuel system, throttle body etc. after storage.

The rubber accessory belt is easy to change.

For the timing belt, I have seen many recommendations on line. The longest recommendation I have seen for the Astra was 10 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. I don't recall GM's recommended service interval.

Maybe the battery is dead if not left on a tender.

Let us know what you do to prepare the car for use.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
bob15468

I have been regularly running it to keep things lubricated and moving. Shortly before I stored it I had already done the timing belt and a few months before that I had to replace the transmission and went ahead and replaced all related clutch components. So I made my life easier in that regard. Will look at my tires more closely. At a glance my rear tires look good. Need to look at the dates on them. Thanks for that advice. Front tires are toast. Already knew I needed those. Main thing I need to work on is the check engine light. I have to pull the codes again. I'll have better info on Friday
B&G Lowering Springs
Koni Struts
Bilstein rear shocks
Old 09-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Whats the code for your check engine light? I just moved to Utah and the state has inspections required for Registration. Mine is MAF sensor related and I'm worried I wont be able to get it fixed when I go to register my car again next year.
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Welcome back.

I abandoned a car after long term storage due to mice and their accompanied Hanta virus.

Tell us the model number of your springs, shocks, and struts. Valuable information around here.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
bob15468

So.....much to my surprise, the only code I have is a P0446. I know I had a MAF code before but it's not there.... hopefully it stays away. I didn't get a chance to dig into what is causing the code. My code reader has some live data and some other functions you wouldn't expect in a $25 unit and it failed the Evap Leak test. Will have to get it jacked back up and look at the evap components under the car. I don't have a smoke tester or a friend that vapes too much so I will just have to look for degrading rubber parts I imagine.
B&G Lowering Springs
Koni Struts
Bilstein rear shocks
Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Do you happen to remember any of the specs on the intake manifold? Like how much horsepower gain there would be from it? If any....
'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:16 PM   #8
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15468 View Post
So.....much to my surprise, the only code I have is a P0446. I know I had a MAF code before but it's not there.... hopefully it stays away. I didn't get a chance to dig into what is causing the code. My code reader has some live data and some other functions you wouldn't expect in a $25 unit and it failed the Evap Leak test. Will have to get it jacked back up and look at the evap components under the car. I don't have a smoke tester or a friend that vapes too much so I will just have to look for degrading rubber parts I imagine.
Some popular Astra issues that you can search here that might be of interest, some more related to your code than others:

- Some had problems at the fuel filler. There might be a GM tech note on that for the filler pipe or cap. Can't remember. I don't know the codes that get thrown. A few people replaced the cap with codes and issues at filling station.

- P0496 code popped up for me. That is EVAP System No Flow During Purge.
The purge valve which is easy access (part 55562350 for about $70). A vacuum hose incoming also was split so you can check that; I don't know what code that hose would throw (the hose seems too small diameter).

- The valve cover gasket and PCV valve/flapper (which are integrated with valve cover) are popular failure items. Look for are weeping oil or telltales when removing the oil cap/dipstick. Smoke test.

- Clean the MAF with special MAF sensor cleaner. I also clean the throttle body from time time as the butterfly edges get carbonized; TB cleaner is best for this as MAF cleaner is weak and carb cleaner will strip the coatings.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Few suggestions:

In Summers (hot temperatures): I will use Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Synthetic 5W-30
In Winters (cold temperatures): I will use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic 5W-30

In long commute trips: Regular Gas
In short trips: Ultra Premium Gas

That way I keep my Astra XR always at optimum performance! No need to buy a new car!

velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
bob15468

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomSoftware View Post
Do you happen to remember any of the specs on the intake manifold? Like how much horsepower gain there would be from it? If any....
I honestly never knew any specs for it. I saw that "roman numeral dude" put it on ebay and I jumped on it. With what I paid for it, I'd be happy if the noise the car made improved. lol
B&G Lowering Springs
Koni Struts
Bilstein rear shocks
Old 09-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
bob15468

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Welcome back.

I abandoned a car after long term storage due to mice and their accompanied Hanta virus.

Tell us the model number of your springs, shocks, and struts. Valuable information around here.
So I did the struts and shocks. It's Koni in the front. (Part#'s:8741 1485LSpor and 8741 1485RSpor) and Bilstein on the rear because I couldn't find the Koni shocks any more. (Part#: 24114684) The rear shocks are listed on Rock Auto under the 2008 Cobalt. Can confirm that they fit perfectly.
B&G Lowering Springs
Koni Struts
Bilstein rear shocks