SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 06-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
DavyK
DavyK is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Manual shifting issue

I have an 2005 Vue. 2.2 Eco-tech and a manual 5 speed. Like me, it's blue.

I went to drive to work this morning and it will not shift into any gear.
As might be expected, the stick moves freely horizontally, but will not insert into any of the (vertical) gear positions. It will seat into any of the gear positions fine with the engine off, clutch pedal depressed or not, as it ordinarily would.

Some recent service history, which may or may not have anything to do with this issue. About three months ago, My thrust bearing failed, so I replaced it. And since an all day disassembly party was in full swing, I replaced the clutch disc & cover as well as the entire hydraulic system from the clutch pedal to the bell housing, for good measure.

It was filled, bled and has been operating like a charm since, until this morning.

However... since replacing the clutch hydraulic master assembly (when this other work was performed) the clutch pedal's (engaged/up) position has never matched that which it occupied with the old system, that being even and level with the brake pedal. It seemed obvious to me that this 'slop' in the upper end of the pedal's position was inconsequential as it was well above the point of moving any fluid. There's been no resistance whatsoever until the petal was depressed beyond the level at which the brake petal sits. Other than having to raise my leg higher to disengage the clutch, it has not been an issue. Since everything worked, I wrote it off to the difference between the aftermarket system and the original. However, yesterday on my break at work, I began pulling up and pushing down on the clutch petal with my hand. I was merely investigating the possibility of fashioning a stop or spacer of some sort, something which might move the resting/engaged position of the petal closer to where it was. After work, I drove the 30 miles home, a combination of highway and city street driving, and everything worked fine until this morning.

I've checked the fluid in the clutch master and for any leaks in the system. I've taken a cursory look at the shift cable ends, both within the shift console and at the levers on the trans axle. None of these seem amiss.

What I'm wondering about, what I'd appreciate insight or advice regarding is... Yesterday, could I have messed up the hydraulic pressure by pulling back/up even further on the clutch petal than it's (already rather high) normal resting position? Might I have reduced the volume of fluid in the line enough somehow to not move the thrust bearing enough to shift? And if so, why did this not effect my drive home? Also... Is there some sort of switch or safety relay up the stem of the clutch petal somewhere I'm not aware of which I may have inadvertently thrown, displaced or broken by messing with it;s range? I presumed the system is pretty much as simple as it seems but I do not have a service manual for the vehicle and honestly, beyond the research I did to stumble through replacing the thrust bearing and clutch, am otherwise unfamiliar with manual transmissions.

My apologies for the length of this inquiry. I figured an abundance of information off the bat might save some of the back and forths I often see in such forums. My thanks to anyone who may have insight as to where I might/should begin with solving this matter.
DavyK is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Manual shifting issue

Does it make a grinding noise when trying to shift with engine running or is it just hard to shift? Vertical (Front to back?) Horizontal (side to side?). Miles? How are engine mounts (Does engine move a lot when starting up)?
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Does it shift OK when its stopped with the engine shut off?

Clutch bleeding is a real pain, it takes time and patience. Hers how I did mine:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222577

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was the slave cylinder replaced?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote