SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
Bassman619
Bassman619 is on a distinguished road

Default No Crank, No Start

Hello,
I have a 2008 Saturn Aura that I havenít driven in a few months. Today I went to start it up and I get nothing but the electronics (dash, fan, radio) the dash display says power steering and the check engine light. I pulled the codes and got U0101 and P1682. Can I get some tips on how to diagnose whatís really going on?
Bassman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No Crank, No Start

What's battery condition? Leaving a car unused for several months usually kills the battery. New batteries don't suffer from this but older batteries do. While there's enough juice to power electronics, fans and lights, starters draw the most amperage needed to turn over the engine. Unless a trickle charger was connected before leaving the car unused for more than a month, the battery may be drained, leaving minimal power. Battery voltage below 12v is one indication of a discharged battery. Standby voltage is always around 12.5v.

Either recharge the battery or try jump starting from another car. If jump starting, the power packs with short jumper cables should be sufficient for startup. If jump starting from another car, be sure to use heavy duty jumper cables as the boost battery may be called on for all power - if cheap jumper cables are used, they will heat up from inability to carry large currents. If jump starting isn't possible, remove the battery and try Autozone. They can test it and some may provide free recharging.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Bassman619

The battery was purchased in December, but I will go check. I just assumed since the electronics worked fine (no stuttering when attempting to crank) the battery wasnít an issue. I need to start driving more if I get it working. I just finished paying it off
Old 06-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Bassman619

Battery reads 12.05
Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

12.05vdc is a hint of a depleted battery. Try the easy things first before presuming electronics faults.
VCX NANO
Old 06-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Bassman619

I got it charged to 12.63 and still got nothing
Old 06-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does the starter turn the engine over or not?

U101 is a network error code and should not prevent starting.

P1682 - The P1682 code means that there is a difference in voltage between the ignition switch circuit 1 and circuit 2. There are a few things that can cause this - including a fault with the ignition switch itself or a fuse/relay involved in the circuit.

I googled both error codes. I prefer service manuals for reference against second guessing. The two circuits for the ignition switch suggests electronic starting, using electronics to start the car as opposed to conventional starting using 12v from the ignition switch to power the starter. Electronic starting uses the ecm with added checks along with security before the ecm starts the car.

Other than having the car towed to GM, if you diy then subscribing to either alldtata.diy or Mitchell for online service manuals can provide info second to dealer services.

Did you check for blown fuses?
VCX NANO
Old 06-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
Bassman619

U0101 is failure to communicate with TCM.
Iíve checked fuses
I get nothing when I turn the key, it clicks when I turn to ACC and everything comes on, but when I try to crank absolutely nothing happens
Old 06-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you googled both codes then you're seeing the same definitions everyone else sees. Several answers suggest P1682 as an ignition switch issue and more. Second guessing can be expensive if throwing parts at the car. My guess is your car uses electronic starting and if it does, requires more than casual knowledge of electronic starting systems using wiring diagrams. As mentioned previously, electronic starting uses the ignition switch talking to the ecm, as long as security checks passes, where the ecm starts the engine. Unless you're extremely knowledgeable of car electronics and electrical systems, without wiring diagrams, this may be beyond anyone attempting diy home repairs.

I use service manuals because of all the electronics governing the EFI system, abs, airbags, bcm, and tcm to understand how they interact. Factory security adds another dimension to vehicles stuffed with electronics. It would be great if I or anyone here has service manuals to follow the error code otherwise it's guessing at your expense.

One way to tell how sophisticated electronics is would be bypassing the ignition switch for one test. Since starters still requires 12 battery power to run it, a simple short across the main starter solenoid terminal connected to the battery and single small terminal nearby holding one wire should result in powering the starter immediately. The large terminal supplies 12v power to the small terminal that's wired to the starter solenoid to power it. When the solenoid powers up, it pulls in the starter gear to engage the engine flywheel while closing a set of heavy duty electrical contacts to apply battery power to the starter motor, starting the engine. If you do this with the starter powering up, either the engine starts up or not. All this does is verify battery power sufficient to power the starter and it turns over the engine. This tells you that an electronic starting problem is the issue and not the starter or battery.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 06-10-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

I always say this because sometimes it works. Try a different key. If it canít read immobilizer for some reason when you turn to start everything will work but starter. You hear no crank at all. All dash stuff comes on as normal.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #11
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Read my thread on a No Crank, No Start issue. It ended up being a broken wire on a ground lug. One of the 7 wires on the lug is the Transmission Range Selector ground and another is the ground for the TCM and ECM...
If you have a scanner that reads data, check the the PCM data to see if it shows Park/Neutral or In Gear. The wording may be different depending on the scanner. Mine showed "In Gear" until I fixed ground G107. Obviously you can't read the status of the part of the switch that feeds the TCM since it is not communicating (U0101 code), possibly because the ground is broken. The ground for the ECM is on this lug too. It may be close to breaking and reducing the voltage at the ECM throwing the P1682 code.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=imaddicted2u
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote