SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 03-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Control arm bushings

I had a nasty rattle/clunk on bumps. Ended up being top front strut mounts. Got different vue. It has a similar front end noise. It has newer strut assys that include mounts. It has good sway bar links and bushings. I noticed the large alum control arm bushings seem sloppy. I just donít see them as being the cause of the obvious suspension crunch when I hit bumps? Could it be just crappy poor quality struts?
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Control arm bushings

It has 170k miles. I have a 2nd one with 220k miles that has original struts that is quiet. No rattles. Iím going to sell 1 and I think the lower mile rig is going first. I swapped some wheels and noticed when I really torque down on the lugnuts I can make the wheel move about 1/2Ē. Looked closer and it is deflection in the bushing. Hmm, that ainít good. So, I ordered some bushings. Will see if it helps.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Bushings are in great shape. I jacked and pried on everything I could see. Nothing is loose. I changed the driver wheel bearing a few weeks ago and I do see a little play in the pass side. Could a loose bearing cause this noise? I still canít dismiss the strut mounts. Newer cheap struts are known for less than great ride. Hmm.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I changed the steering intermediate shaft on previous vue. And then it turned out to be the strut mounts. That vue is gone. I still have old shaft on the shelf. Maybe this vue really has a bad shaft? I for sure feel the click/knock when I turn wheel back and forth.
I was somewhat annoyed when rattle did not go away after steering shaft change. I still donít trust the struts I have. When I say newish I mean they are not original. 2 yrs old? Maybe more? I bought it that way.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

The latest clunk I had fixed was caused by the sway bar bushings. Not really sure how you check them but whenever I hit a bump or pothole it was pretty loud.
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

My memory is shot. The quiet vue has the sloppy bushings. And quiet ride.
The noisey vue has a newer control arm on pass side. And the pass side is the noisey side???
Sway bar bushings are fine. Links are fine. I am real close to buying 1 new strut assy and see if it makes any difference to pass side noise.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

I think there's a service bulletin out about brake calipers making a lot of noise on bumpy roads. I think there's new caliper bushings involved.....
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yeah, caliper slide pin bushings. Know all about that. Not my issue.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #9
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

I feel your pain. back in the day I owned several K-cars that did that. and nothing I swapped out made any difference. it was the sole reason I stopped buying chrysler products.
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #10
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Itís ironic. I have 2 identical vues. The higher mile one is quiet and has original struts. If I go over a rough washboard type road it rattles a lot. Hi mile rig just purrs. No squeaks at all. I got the new strut assy sitting in garage. Might do it tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #11
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Ironic. I ordered driver side strut assy even though pass side is noisier. So I took strut out of box and it IS the pass side. Has the sway bar bracket on the backside. So, I put it on the pass side. The site had 1 driver strut for $20. Woohoo. But pass side was $119. But many sites have a pair for $120 or so. Yes, the cheap all black, mystery struts. That may last 1 yr? My old strut was blue.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Put new strut on one side. Zero difference in noise. New control arm, new strut assy. Good sway bar links. Good sway bar bushings. Maybe my subframe is loose?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Took off driver wheel to consider changing rear control arm bushing. And found out the lower caliper guide pin bolt was missing. That would cause a rattle? Never had one fall out before. M8x1.0 bolt. Had to go to store. I changed bearing last month if I recall. Will see how noise changes now.