SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 03-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
69 L-88
69 L-88 is on a distinguished road

Default I just bought my first Saturn ever !

Hello y'all. Never been on a forum before...never owned a Saturn before. My son started me down both paths. I hope to be able to gain knowledge about mechanical issues mostly through this forum. I'm an old man, and I've owned many cars during my lifetime. I do ALL my own work and I like it that way. Today I bought an '04 Vue. 4-cylinder 5-speed. I initially thought I was buying it as a parts getter/working vehicle type thing, but after driving it, I'm inexplicably hooked on it. Already ordered a bunch of parts for it and I'm looking forward to going over it from top to bottom. That's how I do it.
Does anyone out there have any advice for me ? Like...certain things I should look for, check, modify, etc ? The car is basically bone stock and pretty well maintained, I just want make it better...better than better. I'd appreciate any information about common problems that owners of this particular vehicle might experience.
I look forward to searching through this forum and learning as much as I can.
69 L-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: I just bought my first Saturn ever !

I have an 04, 4cyl., 5 speed also. It currently has 350,000 miles on it. I still drive it pretty much daily.
The biggest thing I've done to it is replace the clutch. Did it myself, Wasn't too big of a deal.
Vues tend to get noisy in the front end. Rattles, clunks and squeaks. Brake calipers tend to rattle a lot too.
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
69 L-88
69 L-88 is on a distinguished road

Hello.
I'm jealous of your high mileage ! I have a '00 Silverado with a 4.3 Vortex V-6 that has 260k and climbing. I bought it new.
I've owned this Vue for two days, so I'm still in cleaning mode. I tackle the exterior, interior, underside, and then the engine compartment...in that order. I noticed when I was underneath that there was a bit of rust, and I could tell some TLC was going to be needed up front. Last night I ordered headlights, corner lights, carpeting, quick struts for the front and shocks for the rear. Also all brake parts...rotors, drums, calipers, cylinders, and pads. Valve cover gasket, oil filter, air filter, POR-15, and 6 vans of PB Blaster. Once I get it all cleaned up, I'll start wrenchin on it. That's my favorite part ! I've found a couple issues...front map light switches are missing pieces and the key fob doesn't work. The map
light is frustrating...I'm missing 4 VERY small parts and I could make the switches work again. I'm not even sure if I have a real Saturn key fob or not, but I pried it open today and it had a 2032 button cell in it so I'm gonna try my luck with a battery swap. Alarm set for 7:30 tomorrow...gotta get busy...
69 L-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 L-88 View Post
Hello.
I'm jealous of your high mileage ! I have a '00 Silverado with a 4.3 Vortex V-6 that has 260k and climbing. I bought it new.
LOL. My "other" ride is a 92 full size Blazer and it has 450,000 on it.

Good Luck with your Vue. My family has 3 of them. the 04, an 03 and an 06. I like them. Reliable and fairly easy to work on.

BTW, an 06 style center console bolts right in to the 04 and gets rid of the ridiculously low drink holders.
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcndeb View Post
LOL. My "other" ride is a 92 full size Blazer and it has 450,000 on it.

Good Luck with your Vue. My family has 3 of them. the 04, an 03 and an 06. I like them. Reliable and fairly easy to work on.

BTW, an 06 style center console bolts right in to the 04 and gets rid of the ridiculously low drink holders.

Really? I think I need to start scavenging my local junk yards. I'm sure there is all sorts of cheap upgrades that can be done to an 04. Any difference in seat quality? I'm at 140k in my 04 but my driver seat screams 300k. The splitting of the seat cushion is excessive.
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

The 4cyl motor had timing chain issues. I have a 3.0 in our family and it is an unloved motor. I have had a few 3.5 Honda vues a nd they are well liked. Any reason why you went with a 4cyl? Thank god you did not get the 4cyl/auto setup. Well, none of them move since the trans suck so maybe thatís why you got a 5spd.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
Core-Lokt
Core-Lokt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 L-88 View Post
The map
light is frustrating...I'm missing 4 VERY small parts and I could make the switches work again. I'm not even sure if I have a real Saturn key fob or not, but I pried it open today and it had a 2032 button cell in it so I'm gonna try my luck with a battery swap. Alarm set for 7:30 tomorrow...gotta get busy...
I'm renovating the interior of mine; I'm wrapping all the upper pillar covers and door panel inserts with a black alligator-grain vinyl from Hobby Lobby; it's coming out pretty tasteful, if challenging on those compound curves. And I'm waiting for the Alcantara for the headliner re-cover.

Anyway, the map lights. eBay will have what you're looking for, if you can't find stuff locally. FYI, I noticed on my headliner that there is wiring for a third dome light that goes in the rear in front of the push pin at the back of the headliner. It's identical to the middle light other than the auto/on/off switch.
Core-Lokt is offline   Reply With Quote