SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 AM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Humming noise 25mph+ (Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 AWD)

Any guesses what it might be? See below....

Car: Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 AWD
Engine: J35S1 / L66)
Transmission: AT MJ7 or MJ8

- It sounds like a hummm (See video)
- Noise starts around 25mph, but really noticeable over 40mph
- When I release the gas pedal, the noise gets louder initially and briefly
- Noise appears to be from the front of the car and either in the middle or passenger side. I cannot hear noise from the far drivers side.

- Noise seems to increase with speed until I hit 50mph, then it seems to stay at the same volume
- Noise remains present when foot is off the gas also
- ALL symptoms remain the same when in neutral. I have tested going into neutral at 50mph, no changes in symptoms
- No noise while in park.
- ALL symptoms remain the same when braking.
- No cupping on tires

What I have done since the noise started:
- Complete new timing kit (belt, all pulleys, water pump)
- Rotated the tires
- Replaced engine mount (the one under the air box)

New passenger side front wheel bearing assembly was installed over a month ago for a different reason.

https://youtu.be/xt4FHpQaenc

Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L V6 - Honda J35S1/GM L66 Engine
GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seansaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Humming noise 25mph+ (Saturn Vue 3.5L V6 AWD)

Even though you said the wheel bearing is new all symptoms point to the bearing. Was a good quality one installed? Possibly the other side has failed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

One of my daughters has 2007 Vue FWD with similar noise. Vue has nearly 167,000 miles with all maintenance kept up to date (lubes, timing belt, etc).

She loves and wants to keep forever so I replaced front and rear hubs, struts and shocks, right front axle (torn boot) and noise is still there (also rotated fairly new tires).

So, I've decided problem is with intermediate shaft bearing. This small shaft - many salvage yards refer to it as jackshaft - adapts right-side transmission output to right front axle.

GM number is 15907836 but you can't find one - either new or from aftermarket sellers - but they are commonly available from salvage yards nationwide.

Replacement SKF bearings are also available with PN 6206-VSP55 - Amazon has as well as your local parts stores.

See excellent writeup in following thread for replacement information:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6r...NacGxGNlE/view

P.S. I'm having local yard pull jackshaft ($50) and bearing ($35) is on way from Amazon so I can't yet provide my blow-by-blow description. I'm also adding to my supply of bandages, hydrogen peroxide and I recently updated tetanus vaccination.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thank you for the responses!

I got my wife to drive while I had my head down on the passenger side floor. It's either the wheel bearing (I literally installed a new one last month! It was a MOOG brand from rock auto) or the shaft bearing. I cannot think of any other bearings around where I am hearing the noise from.

The sound doesn't go away when turning left at all, or right for that matter.

I will try and further diagnose. Somebody mentioned using a temperature gun on the hub to see if one side is hotter than the other after a freeway drive. I thought that would be a cheap next step without much $ commitment.

I was worried it might be the shaft bearing. Somebody said they rarely go bad, but I suppose that is not to say they never go bad at all. I replaced the CV axle on that side only last month, so I was already halfway there. At least it'll be easier to take apart now if that is the case. Thank you for the guide, very helpful! There is one 3.5 Vue at the pic n pull by our home with the shaft and cv axle still attached, so i'll see if I can attack that next time im down.

I will continue to update

GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

I tested the temperature gun on the wheel hubs, and the suspect side was way higher! I took the wheel off and I could see a little grease leaking, not much at all.

I figured that was enough to order a new bearing assembly (Despite replacing this only a month ago with a MOOG one). Popped it in and the sound went away

Is my car eating wheel bearings!? or do Vue's eat them!?

I thought I bought a good brand and with it only being a month ago it couldnt be it, especially as the sound remained the same pitch around corners. You live and learn I suppose! Thanks for the input

Does this site have some server trouble? I noticed its down for days at a time

GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2020, 11:03 PM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Go with oem or SKF or Timken. I have heard Moog's quality has gone down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansaturn View Post
Is my car eating wheel bearings!? or do Vue's eat them!?
128K, & going on Wheel Bearing Service # 14 (over the life of the vehicle).

Bearing life now at <10K, this next one I will be replacing will have <5K on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
Go with oem or SKF or Timken. I have heard Moog's quality has gone down.
Unless you are putting these in yourself, god knows what you are going to get.

Quote:
Does this site have some server trouble? I noticed its down for days at a time
I noticed that myself.

Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
128K, & going on Wheel Bearing Service # 14 (over the life of the vehicle).

Bearing life now at <10K, this next one I will be replacing will have <5K on it.
wow! What brands are you using? Same wheel?

GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
wow! What brands are you using? Same wheel?
As I said above who knows what brand I'm actually getting though the one I had put on in December of '18 was a Moog if I believe the box (which I do), but I usually go to what my mechanic calls "midline", Believe one was the great SKF, & 3 were supposedly Timken (good luck on a warranty claims).

When I purchased the vehicle there were 7 bearing services on the Dealer Service Record/CarFax in just over 2 years @ 68K, I'm going to have to put my 7th one on if I'm keeping it, it's seems to going around the vehicle but this next one will break this pattern.

I no longer have the facilities, patience, or strength to be wrestling with the rust and corrosion that seizes everything on the vehicle. Though I noted anything replaced in the winter does not appear to last. Also living on Planet Ohth we are bathed in Aggressive Chemical Goodness for 7 months of the year, & that goes to work on under-body components pretty fast.

Poor design? This really should had been considered a Lemon, I don't know if the original owner was being covered by Government Motors, but they were replace by the dealer. (Lemon Law?) This should had been a red flag, & I should had studied it, I passed on a Buick Rendezvous, for the same general "Eats Bearings" Complaint.

The bad thing is I put < 2K on the car over the last year.

Last edited by Bismarck318; 03-05-2020 at 07:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
As I said above who knows what brand I'm actually getting though the one I had put on in December of '18 was a Moog if I believe the box (which I do), but I usually go to what my mechanic calls "midline", Believe one was the great SKF, & 3 were supposedly Timken (good luck on a warranty claims).

When I purchased the vehicle there were 7 bearing services on the Dealer Service Record/CarFax in just over 2 years @ 68K, I'm going to have to put my 7th one on if I'm keeping it, it's seems to going around the vehicle but this next one will break this pattern.

I no longer have the facilities, patience, or strength to be wrestling with the rust and corrosion that seizes everything on the vehicle. Though I noted anything replaced in the winter does not appear to last. Also living on Planet Ohth we are bathed in Aggressive Chemical Goodness for 7 months of the year, & that goes to work on under-body components pretty fast.

Poor design? This really should had been considered a Lemon, I don't know if the original owner was being covered by Government Motors, but they were replace by the dealer. (Lemon Law?) This should had been a red flag, & I should had studied it, I passed on a Buick Rendezvous, for the same general "Eats Bearings" Complaint.

The bad thing is I put < 2K on the car over the last year.
Sorry, I assumed you replaced them yourself. Maybe you need a different mechanic/part supplier, best not blame the motor right away

I put anti-seize on a fair few things, so I managed to slide one in and out in 10 minutes or so from tire up to tire down with basic driveway tools. No stubborn bolts or anything like that.

Nothing should seize in that amount of time anyway, especially the rate you appear to be going through them. I can't imagine paying for the part AND the service that many times.

So, is it the same wheel each time? or not? There may be a logical explanation here. Maybe something else is putting pressure on the same bearing

GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Sorry, I assumed you replaced them yourself. Maybe you need a different mechanic/part supplier, best not blame the motor right away
I've ran vehicles up to 150K without any bearing replacements, These parts are no maintenance & apparently designed to break.... I can see 100K but < 2 years & 10K in this latest instance now... WTF?

Quote:
I put anti-seize on a fair few things, so I managed to slide one in and out in 10 minutes or so from tire up to tire down with basic driveway tools. No stubborn bolts or anything like that.
I've learned to apply anti seize to just apart everything on a car that I take off & may need to replace again at a later date ie: spark plugs. This chemical that is used on the roads here becomes airborne & corrodes every piece of cheap hardware they use.

You may not have to deal with this chemistry but I have posted pictures of my undercarriage, & have had out friends on here from the land of sunshine & pleasant year round weather say we folks up north & especially the northeast plain just don't know how to take care of a vehicle... I'd like to see them deal with this stuff for over half the year.

Quote:
Nothing should seize in that amount of time anyway, especially the rate you appear to be going through them. I can't imagine paying for the part AND the service that many times.
Yes & I have, I used to pull older bearings/drums & grease & repack for the fun of it, The 2 part bearing assembly was less than $20 & in a few cases much less. Now whey have made these entire assemblies, integrated electronic sensors, while making a part that is far from robust, it just makes economic sense to the auto industry.

In a nutshell, newer isn't always better. I do remember though having to replace entire exhaust systems once a year to year and a half, they have made great improvements there in the last couple decades.

Quote:
So, is it the same wheel each time? or not? There may be a logical explanation here. Maybe something else is putting pressure on the same bearing
No, All bearings have been replaced at least twice from what I did & per the service record. now going for its 3rd round.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!