SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 2003 Vue water pump replacement

It took about 4 hours. I took my time. most of the time was cleaning and prep for installing the new parts. Upon inspecting the old pump, the leak I had was probably around the o-ring, it was compressed and I could see coolant seepage past the o-ring.

The instructions have you remove the exhaust manifold and then loosen the thermostat /distribution housing. I did neither. Thought it was a tight fit, I was able to remove the interconnect tube as per the video.

I used this video as a guide. The only difference is my vue does have that block heater thing.

https://youtu.be/h4BOoXlsN90

Main highlights:
  • I used a half moon holder, with it mounted on the top, as in the video.
  • I stuffed a large rag into the opening to ensure nothing would fall inside the crankcase.
  • I replaced the thermostat with an OEM 180 degree, as per video.
  • I put a very small bead of RTV in all the oring grooves before installing o-rings.

The biggest problem I had was getting the pumps shaft aligned so the sprocket bolt holes would line up with the shaft.
I used a 4 inch long wire (cut clothes hanger) with a loop on one end so it couldn't fall into the crankcase.
  • I inserted the wire through one of the three bolt holes in the sprocket, then as I positioned the pump, I inserted the wire into one of the threaded holes on the pump shaft. I held the wire in place with one hand as I wiggled and inserted the pump with the other.
  • When the pump was inserted all the way, I installed one of the top four bolts loosely to hold the pump in position.
  • I used a long 10mm socket with a little gum in it to hold the bolt while I tried to get it started. I held the socket (with bolt) in on of the three holes with a slight inward pressure on the socket. I then wiggled the wire back and forth and could fell in the socket when the bolt was lined up with the threads. A few turns of the socket and I could fell that the bolt was started.

The whole process was tedious, but I didn't run into any problems.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links