SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
DJ Spanky
DJ Spanky has a spectacular aura aboutDJ Spanky has a spectacular aura aboutDJ Spanky has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR
Default Need a replacement key for my wife's Aura

So my wife snapped the tip of her key off in the door lock last night. Since we got the car used a few years back, we've only had one key. I was able to fish out the broken tip for the lock (what a PITA that was!), and, surprisingly, we can start the car with the broken key. I plan to call a locksmith later this morning, but would they have a replacement key for Saturns? If not, what's the best source for getting one? And once I have a new key cut, how do you program it for the car?

Appreciate the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJ Spanky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJ Spanky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJ Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Need a replacement key for my wife's Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spanky View Post
So my wife snapped the tip of her key off in the door lock last night. Since we got the car used a few years back, we've only had one key. I was able to fish out the broken tip for the lock (what a PITA that was!), and, surprisingly, we can start the car with the broken key. I plan to call a locksmith later this morning, but would they have a replacement key for Saturns? If not, what's the best source for getting one? And once I have a new key cut, how do you program it for the car?

Appreciate the help.
My hubby's car only used the lower part of the key in the ignition and it was kept there. He had a special button and way to start the car after he would turn the ignition to start.

I went to a locksmith to have a new key made for my 98SL2. He didn't need to VIN just the old key. First key cost me $20.00 the rest of the copies cost $3.00. You can go to the GM dealer and they will make you a new key based on your VIN if you prefer.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
TVCCS
TVCCS is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spanky View Post

Appreciate the help.
The keys are a transponder key B111+, but they don't need a locksmith for programming, you can get the instructions online.

I just bought these two off Amazon and they work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071K...b_b_asin_title

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TVCCS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TVCCS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TVCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCCS View Post
The keys are a transponder key B111+, but they don't need a locksmith for programming, you can get the instructions online.

I just bought these two off Amazon and they work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071K...b_b_asin_title
I did the same, ordered a key online, note that it must have a circle with a + stamped on it. As long as the broken key will start the car and can be put into and cut in a key cutter machine the transponder in the new key can be learned by the BCM.
The process is simple:

Insert a master/working key and switch the ignition on.
Wait for the security/immobilizer light to go out. Switch ignition off and remove key.
Quickly insert a UN-programmed key and switch the ignition on.
Wait for the security/immobilizer light to go out. Switch ignition off and remove key.
The key is now programmed.

If you don't have a working transponder but can get the new key cut so it will turn the ignition switch to run, this procedure should work:

Switch ignition on with UN-programmed master key.
The security/immobilizer light or a message will come on the dash.
After approximately 10 minutes the security/immobilizer light or a message will go out.
switch the ignition off.
Wait 5 seconds.
Switch ignition back on with the same UN-programmed master key.
After approximately 10 minutes the security/immobilizer light or a message will go out.
switch the ignition off.
Wait 5 seconds.
Switch ignition back on with the same UN-programmed master key.
switch the ignition off.
Wait 5 seconds.
Try and start the vehicle it will now start with no light/message on the dash.
The key is programmed.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote