SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Nigey
Nigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of light

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2
Default Replacing gear shifter PRND light bulb

Recently the illumination on my 2007 3.5 gear shifter stopped working. I couldn't find any threads about it, so thought I'd post one. I was actually worried about this, as without a gear indicator in the dark it's remarkably hard to know if you are truly in "Drive". Also, my kids are driving the car, and I fear they won't be too careful! For the sake of a couple of bucks....

First, it was remarkably easy and cheap (what a combination!). I was on the passenger side with the seat fully back to gain easier access. Step by step:

1. gently pull up the chrome surround and place to one side. I just used my fingers for all of this, no screwdrivers or even plastic levers needed.
2. then gently pull up the plastic cover surround of the gear shifter (note: it should just pop up slightly, with the part closer to the engine more in place, and the rear part towards the back of the car more elevated out of place. Don't try to remove it, all you have to do is just have enough space to gain access to the bulb on the left hand side.
3. Pull up the outer plastic surround that makes up the center console. Again, just enough to gain access.
4. the shifter is illuminated by a bulb on the left hand side of the shifter frame (as you face forwards in the car). There should be a wire leading the bulb around mid way. Twist the plastic holder of the bulb (sorry can't remember if it was clockwise or counter clockwise) and it will come off.
5. the bulb is a push fit into a plastic socket, pull to remove it.

Obviously reverse the process to put it back together. The shifter plastic surround (not the console surround or chrome surround) is the hardest to get back together, and I found gently pushing on the rear part was the best way to go. None needed to be forced, it was just gently pushing.

I bought two replacement bulbs from an automotive store for the princely sum of $2 (I think it said type 74 or something on the package). I recommend you take the blown bulb with you to compare to get the correct type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aura.jpg (82.6 KB, 9 views)

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Replacing gear shifter PRND light bulb

Thank you.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote