SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
KEP3
KEP3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Temp light popped on after 10 minutes

Right. My 2008 Redline sat undercover for about two months. It's either been too cold or too wet to drive and the lousy tires made today will break loose if you think there's spit on the ground. Any way, I took the cover off, and it started right up, and then went on a short drive to make sure everything was copacetic. About ten minutes into the drive the temp light came on so I switched the info panel to coolant temperature. It showed 250+ degrees. After a couple minutes the temp dropped down to 190 or so. Then, bang, it went up to 260 and slowly dropped back to 240. When I got home a couple minutes later, I let it idle for a couple minutes and then I turned off the ignition. After a few more minutes, the temp was down to under 220. I then shut it down completely and the fans continued to run. It has a new water pump and I had the local GM dealer do a full oil change, fluid levels, etc. about 3,000 miles ago. The overflow tank looked empty.
So, is this normal or do I need to get a new thermostat? No codes were displayed on the binacle display. The Flivver, as my wife calls it, has about 103,000 on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KEP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Temp light popped on after 10 minutes

Is the overflow tank, more commonly known as the surge tank, empty? If I'm not mistaken, all surge tanks using a pressure/vacuum cap users the tank as an expansion tank as part of the sealed cooling system, in other words, the tank should be filled to the cold level (some use the seam as the half way mark as cold) mark. As coolant reaches operating temperatures, expansion will show a higher level (hot). The air bubble in the tank allows for expansion and contraction without any air. The cap is just a plastic version of the older metal radiator caps that also relieves pressure and opens when a vacuum is created from cooled coolant to let air back into the system and prevent collapsing hoses.

Try filing the surge tank to the cold mark. You're engine will purge any air automatically if air is in the system. Check coolant level again to be sure a coolant leak hasn't occurred. This may eliminate the hot/cold temperature condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the overflow should have anything in it or not. I'm still living with radiator caps and vinyl bags on the inner fender for washer fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP3 View Post
,,,The Flivver, as my wife calls it, has about 103,000 on it...
It has a new water pump and I had the local GM dealer do a full oil change, fluid levels, etc. about 3,000 miles ago.
What was the mileage when the water pump was replaced? Were any hoses replaced with that repair? Please refer to your Owner's Handbook as it should have information regarding the maintenance to be performed at various mileages. Many times the 100K mile service includes cooling system hose replacement along with a thermostat. If those hoses are still factory originals then they may be due for replacement.

Quote:
...The overflow tank looked empty. So, is this normal or do I need to get a new thermostat? No codes were displayed on the binacle display.
No. The fact that the surge tank appeared to have no fluid present is highly abnormal and it is unlikely that DTCs will appear in this situation. A loss of the antifreeze/coolant mixture is not directly an ignition or emission control issue. However, it is something that shoud show up on your dash with a warning light for temperature as has happened here. (Is there no coolant level warning lamp at the dash console?) Presently, I'm inclined to think that the thermostat is okay. That could, however, be contradicted after the system has been properly refilled, bled of air, and seeing that the temperature gauge reads at a level which is higher than the normal operating temperature.

Your tank should've had fluid up to wherever the minimum level is located on it. The fact that it was empty may suggest a leak. Another possibility, however remote it may be, was that air had not been fully bled from the cooling system and it was therefore not full when it left the repair station (meaning that it wasn't adequately checked before being released to you). Be sure to refill the system with a 50/50 mixture of the correct antifreeze and distilled water.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 12-26-2019 at 12:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the overflow should have anything in it or not. I'm still living with radiator caps and vinyl bags on the inner fender for washer fluid.
Think of the coolant tank as an extension of the radiator to show coolant level. A cold and hot engine fill line are marked on the container. Under normal conditions of everyday driving, coolant should be between these two marks as a way to know normal coolant levels or if a leak occurred if coolant isn't seen on the ground. The cap doesn't have to be removed since the container is translucent. There are different colored coolants with Dexcool the recommended fluid (reddish orange), yellow or green for Prestone and blue for Toyota. All seen thru the container. The cap is normally left alone to reduce any air mix to age it. Coolant can now be extended to five years or 120k miles before replacing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #6
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

Thank you for the info. I don't know for certain when the water pump was replaced. The previous owner told me he had it replaced. I've replaced radiator hoses in the past but that was before overflow tanks. At least I know where to go from here. I may just have the local GM dinner do the work. At least that way I have some sort of fallback. Maybe I'll go to a Subaru dealer that I bought around 8 cars from. They were a Saturn dealer and the last I heard they kept all the manuals and equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Old 12-26-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can save yourself money with a simple procedure. Just like removing the radiator cap or coolant reservoir to top off coolant, you can remove the coolant cap and top it off with either plain potable water or a 50/50 mix of whatever antifreeze is used. There should be two embossed marks to indicate cold and hot levels. With a cold engine, fill to the cold level, startup and idle for a few minutes to see if the cooling system bubbles up (purging itself of air) and top off again or put the cap back on and go for a short drive. If you let the engine idle for a few minutes to see if any air is purged, lowering coolant level, top off then put the cap on and either drive or continue to let the engine warm up for another 20 minutes. Idling should warm the engine and allow air to purge while pressure and operating temps come up (and not overheat). Take note of the amount of fluid poured in to determine amount missing.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2019, 01:08 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
...I've replaced radiator hoses in the past but that was before overflow tanks...
Regardless of who replaces the cooling system hoses please know that there's nothing particularly unusual about replacing them (unless your heater hoses have a quick disconnect coupler built-in on one end of each hose). Simply put, a hose is "a hose" and you treat its replacement just as you would've done in the past. The most obvious difference in doing the work on modern passenger cars would be that their engine compartments are much more cramped than they were up to the early 1970's. A major change from that time to now is that one must install the specific Antifreeze/ Coolant which is recommended by the manufacturer. This is critical because there are several different types of antifreeze/coolant now on the market. Installing the wrong one can damage cooling system components or cause clogging within that system.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
KEP3

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
You can save yourself money with a simple procedure. Just like removing the radiator cap or coolant reservoir to top off coolant, you can remove the coolant cap and top it off with either plain potable water or a 50/50 mix of whatever antifreeze is used. There should be two embossed marks to indicate cold and hot levels. With a cold engine, fill to the cold level, startup and idle for a few minutes to see if the cooling system bubbles up (purging itself of air) and top off again or put the cap back on and go for a short drive. If you let the engine idle for a few minutes to see if any air is purged, lowering coolant level, top off then put the cap on and either drive or continue to let the engine warm up for another 20 minutes. Idling should warm the engine and allow air to purge while pressure and operating temps come up (and not overheat). Take note of the amount of fluid poured in to determine amount missing.
Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation