SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
SL2abuser
SL2abuser is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 Saturn Batteries - All failing??

We own two 2000 Saturns - an SL2 and an SW2.

Last month my battery suddenly failed. Working fine one day (lots of power), the next day it wouldn't start. It turned out the positive terminal had somehow corroded internally and effectively fell off. So - new battery. I figured it was a one of a kind flaw with my battery.

This evening my wife tried to go to the store and no go with her car. Turns out it's the exact same problem - same battery, same terminal, same acid leak, same mess.

Since we needed a solution right away I went to Walmart and picked up a battery. Guess what - while I was there another guy was picking up a new battery for his 2000 SL2 - Same problem!!

The sales guy who happened to be near and hearing us chating said that it was wierd - he had sold another battery 2 days ago to someone else owning a 2000 Saturn!!

So - is this another common problem with 2000 Saturns? (Along with the exhaust resonator cracking after 60,000 kms, slow coolant leak at the intake manifold, thermostat's rubber gasket falling apart every couple of years and muffler hanger rusting out every 3 years).

Last edited by SL2abuser; 10-21-2003 at 11:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2abuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2abuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I had the same failure on my old '00 LW2 when the car was about 1.5 years old. I was very pissed -but not just because of the battery failure- it was the acid that ran out onto the fender panel and down the frame rail. Nothing like acid eating your steel on a near-new car. Lots of baking soda and washdowns and a new Interstate battery. It's a Delco battery thing which is why I didn't bother going to the Saturn retailer and just got the Interstate. No point in putting in another suspect battery even under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
AxeMan
AxeMan is on a distinguished road

It may not be the battery. I've seen this happen with other brands of side post batteries. And it occurs when the terminal is over torqued and it punctures the seal in the battery. And it may not show up right away.

It almost sounds like someone at the factory is using the wrong torque specs during assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AxeMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AxeMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #4
AjaxSL2Guy
AjaxSL2Guy is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I find this very interesting. Perhaps it is just luck or the way I drive, but I have the original battery in my 2000 SL2 with almost 214,000 km's on it. In fact, I have never had a starting problem and the green eye on the battery is still there! We'll have to see how this winter is on it. I figure by the spring I will probably put a battery in it (assuming it lasts til then).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AjaxSL2Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AjaxSL2Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Car batteries are a maintenance item every 3-5yrs. You will get used to it. The leaking though, that is a new one to me. I have never had one do that. Better than exploding.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

my uncle has a 2000 SL2, I'll have to ask him about it or have him pop his hood. good luck with this crap.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

I bought a used 2000 LS2 back in May. It had a brand new battery, but had evidence if a big acid leak. the paint is peeled off of the battery tray and off any part under the tray.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
SL2abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by rossao1
Car batteries are a maintenance item every 3-5yrs. You will get used to it. The leaking though, that is a new one to me. I have never had one do that. Better than exploding.
I've owned many cars over the past 25 years. Typically I do get 3-7 years out of a battery. Normally they slowly get weaker and weaker - sometimes there's much less warning, but still more that what's happening here. I've never had a battery leak before, not even in my off-road truck. The batteries in it see all sorts of shock and vibration abuse.

My biggest complaint about these failures is they aren't a factor of how much the battery has been abused, instead it's corrosion related (I'd call it a defect). Also when the strong acid (it's fully charged) leaks out it soaks in to the battery "blanket" and severely corrodes the battery hold down bracket and hardware as well as strips the paint and corrosion protection off portions of the chassis below the battery. The battery hold down bracket lower bolt on my wife's car had to be drilled out it was so badly seized up (from the acid).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2abuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Actually, on the 2000+ S cars, when they turned the battery 180 degrees from the '99 and down, this problem became much more apparent.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #10
Mike_SW2K
Mike_SW2K is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Happened to me about 3 months ago. Positive post came out. I thought it was due to vibration from a bad motor mount. Interesting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike_SW2K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike_SW2K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:27 PM   #11
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour is on a distinguished road

Yes this is a well-known condition.

This problem is basically caused by someone over-torquing the cable mounting bolts. There is actually a service bulletin on the problem (not a recall or campaign) )1-T-26 .The condition can occur on ANY year and model Saturn or otherwise with a side post battery. But for what-ever reason the bulletin specifies only 2000-2001 S-Series. (over-torqued at factory??)

The "corrosion" you speak of is actually ACID corrosion caused by distortion within the internal nut inside the lead cable connection. This damages the seal to the internals of the battery, and (as I said) has been attributed to over-tightening the cable mounting bolts.

This corrosion also damages the threads of the bolt. The bulletin outlines to replace the bolt if corrosion is evident and torque to spec.

The torque spec for the battery connection terminals is only 13 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench and see just how low that is (for a 3/8" thread). Since the root cause is someone over-tightening the bolt- I doubt you could mount any sort of "class action" suit or anything.

For you other 2000-2001 S-Series owners, you may want to remove both battery cables and check for corrosion BEFORE it leaves you stranded somewhere. Two of the bolts PN# 0817444 are listed in the bulletin.

HTH
Regards
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:18 PM   #12
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

I took the battery out of my 2000 SW2 back in the winter of '01, as the car was out of service for 4 months. I remember taking the battery cables off. They were tight! On reinstallation I only tightened them about 1/8 of a turn after finger tight. Haven't had any problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
SL2abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by WopOnTour
This problem is basically caused by someone over-torquing the cable mounting bolts. There is actually a service bulletin on the problem (not a recall or campaign) )1-T-26 .The condition can occur on ANY year and model Saturn or otherwise with a side post battery. But for what-ever reason the bulletin specifies only 2000-2001 S-Series. (over-torqued at factory??)
If they were overtorqued, they were overtorqed at the factory or possibly the dealer (if for some reason they disconnected the battery).

I have never touched either car's battery (although I'll admit I probably tightened the new batteries slightly more than 13 ft-lbs - probably more like 20 ft-lbs).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2003, 12:03 PM   #14
ARECCE
ARECCE is on a distinguished road

The concern with the battery bolts coming loose has to do with the makeup of the battery by Delco. Has nothing to do with Saturn with the exception of these batteries are used in the vehicles. Over torquing may add to the concern, but it is not the cause.

There is a newer design battery 75s-5yr has been redesigned to keep this bolt concern from occuring. I have not had any bolts coming loose in the 2nd design battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARECCE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARECCE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:47 PM   #15
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Interesting, I had this EXACT same issue with my 2000 LS2.. Hummmm

It also happened that the battery cables were coroded and also needed to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #16
monkeysl2
Advanced Member
monkeysl2 is on a distinguished road

Wow, I was left stranded in a strange town by a correded positive battery terminal in my 00 sl2.

lol this is kinda weird so many of us have had this problem.

2005 SRT-4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monkeysl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monkeysl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2003, 11:52 PM   #17
SL2Ghost42
SL2Ghost42 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2004 VUE 2.4L

Guess what? Now I've had the same problem. Postive battery cable is corroded and leaking battery acid. Now I know it's because of overtorquing, I can make sure that doesn't happen when I put my battery in.
People with 2000 Saturns - CHECK YOUR BATTERY!!!!

Here's my question, where the heck do you get battery cables? At the dealership only or are there cool colored ones out there that work on Saturns of my year?

2000 SL2 107,000 "Little Saturn" - Daily Driver
2004 Vue 125,000 "The Vue" - Work Vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Ghost42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Ghost42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:15 AM   #18
SL2abuser

I'm not convinced at all that it is "CAUSED" by overtorquing.

I would say more like: It's a design flaw that "might" show it's head less frequently if the terminals are not torqued as much.

I've had many cars with side terminal batteries over the years and I've never had a leak (or any problem with them) like both my 2000 Sx2's have had.

In the past I have also been guilty of overtorquing the bolts without any problems whatsoever. This includes overtorquing the battery bolts on my 1984 Pontiac Grand Prix (with a side terminal ACDelco battery). I even replaced the OEM battery with a new ACDelco somewhere around 1990 and didn't have problems (the battery lasted until the car was put out to pasture behind my barn in 1999).

SL2abuser

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 AM   #19
setfree
setfree is on a distinguished road

Duralast from Autozone is what I have found to be the best. You can get up to a 7 yr battery. More economical than other batteries in relation to the length of warranty on the battery. Autozone even put it in for me. It lasted 5 yrs (probably about 70,000 miles), so they prorated for the last 2 yrs, so I got another 7 yr battery really cheap. That was in my 1994 SL. The battery that Saturn had put in it last just a little more than 36,000 miles. My 2002 SL had almost 38,000 when I traded it and never changed the battery. Of course, my numbers are sure to be reflective of living in the hot state of Texas. Batteries don't like heat as y'all know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to setfree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help setfree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread