SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Wrecked my SL2...

Wednesday I was driving to work and I came to a stoplight (its a pretty wide turn too) and it was green so I slowed down proceeded to take the turn (I was even going slower than the car in front of me) and hit some gravel that was in the road and the back of my car swung around... So I tried to correct it and stay on the road but from the first fishtail the front of my car hit the gravel on the side of the road and I fishtailed in the other direction, swerved to miss a car and spun around and went right into a ditch. So I got out of my car and the front bumper was broken but not the front fenders. The other side of the ditch was pretty steep and my car was just completely bottomed out on some pretty jagged rocks. A couple of my friends were going down the road and saw me and stopped. From the outside it didnt look too bad so I was going to try and drive out of the ditch and just go home without having to get it towed. So I started up my car and my tires just spun and the car slid even further down the ditch. Then I looked down and saw "Check Engine" and "Low Coolant" so I quickly turned her off. I checked the engine coolant and sure enough the resivor was about half empty. So one of my friends who is taking automotive in school looked under the car and said the raidiator was leaking. I looked but never could tell. About five minutes later the police came and they said my entire radiator was moved up... So they called a tow truck and he took it to Sam Swope collision center, the Saturn dealers collision place. I'm still waiting to get an estimate... No telling how much it will be. I talked to several police officers and they said that it wasnt my fault, I just took the turn a little sharper than everyone else and that where I turned there was more gravel than in the middle of the intersection. I didn't even see any gravel, and I definately was not speeding. I should get an estimate tomorrow and I will post how much it is.

I'm just really hoping the frame isnt bent of something else more major than a radiator.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
WKDave3
WKDave3 is on a distinguished road

Bummer, I was in a slight wreck last friday....guy was backing out of a spot and he didn't see me and i didn't see him. I clipped his right rear quarter panel (dodge dakota) and it bent the sheet metal on his and dented my hood and moved the polymer around a bit (the little corner fake frame on the inside of the polymer is bent up decently) I'll post some pics of mine either today or tomorrow.
that totally stinks about your car bro, hope it's not too bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WKDave3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WKDave3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Sorry to hear about that. Hope it's fixable.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

That sucks - glad that you are OK though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

I'm very sorry to hear that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

That sucks man

But since its a '92, it'll probably be totaled considering the amount of damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2003, 11:11 PM   #7
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Sorry to hear about your SL2. Glad to hear that you are ok. Keep us posted on the estimates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

If I learned one thing:

NEVER BUY DAYTONA SP's

My next car purchase is going to be new tires. Next I'm getting Perelli Snow Sports, something with some traction. Because this winter I;m going to need it.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #9
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I am glad you are not hurt. Your car sounds repairable.

At least you did not loose it with your mom in the car. Been there done that, and at your age. Except substitue snow and angled rail road tracks for gravel, and a curb with chain link fence for the ditch. And I barely hit the other guy I was originally passing on an "S" curved road. Similar results, but driveable, $750 in 1985 dollars. Bad road conditions and a generous police officer led to my first ticket. Improper lane change. And that was the least I could be written up for. Oh yeah, my mom was ok too. She felt bad because I ruined my pretty car.

Good luck.

Hint. Start with a big hammer! Oh, wait it would bouce off! Please never mind that hint. You gotta love Saturns.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 AM   #10
SL2Ghost42
SL2Ghost42 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2004 VUE 2.4L

That really sucks. You and I got our cars at about the same time, and pretty much thanks to you because you mentioned autotrader.com, which I went to, and found the exact car I wanted. I've yet to have problems with my car, minus a new serpentine belt.
Hey, if you need to start looking for another Saturn, I just made up a list of lots of Saturns under $1500, for a friend who also just wrecked his ford tempo. I'll send it to your email if it's necessary of if you want it just in case.

2000 SL2 107,000 "Little Saturn" - Daily Driver
2004 Vue 125,000 "The Vue" - Work Vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Ghost42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Ghost42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #11
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I finally got a call back from the Colision center and they said they needed to replace the front bumper, air dam and splash guard, radiator. The total came out to be $766 and some change. Not too bad considering that covers all those new parts, labor and tow-truck fees.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2003, 08:34 AM   #12
rossao1
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyDuck
I finally got a call back from the Colision center and they said they needed to replace the front bumper, air dam and splash guard, radiator. The total came out to be $766 and some change. Not too bad considering that covers all those new parts, labor and tow-truck fees.
That is good news. Consider "upgrading" to a front facia with fog light openings. You will not regret it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #13
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Actually I have done a lot of considering upgrading to the 93+ Front Facia. I am going to call them back and see how much more that would cost. Either way, I'm almost $600 in the hole on this one. Luckily the day I wrecked my car I ran into my stepdad and he said he would loan me the money to fix it. So I will definately take him up on that offer. But do you think they would even let me decide which front facia to use? I have been thinking of getting the new one ever since I bought my car.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2003, 08:45 AM   #14
rossao1
Advanced Member

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I would guess a difference of $50 bucks or so. later, invest in lights $50. A switch and some time to wire it.

The new look, priceless... (OK, that was a really bad joke, and totally un-called for.)

peace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2003, 08:58 AM   #15
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I will get the new one if there is only a 50 dollar difference. It might actually be cheaper to paint too.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2003, 12:45 AM   #16
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Glad to hear that you were able to walk away, and that soon your car will be able to drive away. Let your body shop know what you want to do with the facia before they order the parts. They shouldn't have a problem doing the mod.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 AM   #17
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Ok I have an update. Monday I went with my grandfather (who was going to loan me the $766 to get it fixed) to the colision center to sign the paper authorizing to get it fixed. So I signed, asked about the front bumper and they said they wouldnt do it. So they told me it would be about 4 days when it was finished. So tuesday im sitting at home when I get a call from the mechanic that it was in fact going to be $2500. They said the frame was bent, the AC was destroyed and a ton of other crap. Well I paid $2300 for my car so its totaled. So I asked them how much it would be if they could get it looking stock and running, and fix the frame. For all of that its going to be about $1500 give or take god knows how much. They are supposed to call me today to give me the second estimate...

Well, THIS SUCKS!

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #18
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

The next car I get is going to be something that might hold up in such a minor accident and can be fixed at a private shop. So this is probably my first and last Saturn...

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2003, 09:27 AM   #19
Thalisa
Thalisa is on a distinguished road

If you hit it hard enough to bend the frame, there isn't a whole lot of cars that will "hold up" to that type of abuse - especially since, from my understanding, Saturn uses one of the strongest frames out there. I keep hearing stories swearing that the way Saturns are built has saved their lives and/or limbs.

A car is never the same after the frame is bent though. If you can get a hold of the $1500 you would need to fix that car, try using it as a downpayment for a loan first. It'd be better spent there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thalisa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thalisa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #20
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

The frame in my mom's Olds was bent, so it was totalled, but in my opinion the cosmetic components could have been fixed around it and you'd never know. I actually could not see where it was bent, but because it was in the front corner, to properly fix it would require removal of all underhood components (at 40+ hours of labor).

Chances are you could get by with some really bad engineered fixes that will make your car driveable again. May not look perfect, but will drive. Frame damage won't always impair driveability.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread