SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
aztimm
aztimm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Clicking noise in dash

Hello,

I took my Vue for its first road trip this past weekend, up to Flagstaff, AZ. This is about a 2-1/2 hour drive from metro Phoenix, with an elevation climb of about 6,000 feet. The AWD-V6 handled very well with the uphill climbs; I had to turn off the cruise control because it kept trying to rev at the wrong times.

On the return trip, there was a clicking noise coming from the dash, near the speedometer or tachometer. It lasted about 5 minutes, then went away.

Is this something that can happen in cold weather? With the elevation in Flagstaff, the temperatures are significantly cooler than Phoenix, the low was about 35 this morning and it was about 40-45 when I noticed this noise.

Also, have others had problems with the sunroof air deflector? I was ready to pull over and take it off, it was making so much noise. Interestingly, the cold weather must have hardened it, since the noise wasn't nearly as bad on the return trip. I've tried tightening it, but it still seems to vibrate way too much in the middle.

I loved having the thermometer in the vehicle, could see the temp dropping on the way up North, and quickly climbing on the way down. And the vehicle handled well on the hills in and around Flagstaff, including a windy road to Mt. Humphries.

Anyone have ideas as to this clicking noise or the sunroof air deflector?

Thanks.

Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aztimm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aztimm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
aztimm

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 VUE 3.0L

The clicking noise came back this morning, and it wasn't nearly as cold here in Chandler, AZ. Strangely, when I put my hand on the plastic over the speedometer/autometer, the noise seemed to go away. I guess if it doesn't bother me too much, I'll wait until I have my oil changed, and ask about it then.

Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aztimm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
AlanWoody
AlanWoody is on a distinguished road

Yes! I have this same problem off and on. I notice it's only when I've been running my AC for a long time, so perhaps it is cold related. It sounds like something spinning and clicking behind the gauges. Are there cables for the odometer in there?

If anyone has an idea I would love to know what it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlanWoody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlanWoody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
pgstein

Default dash noise

i have the same exact problem with the noise in my dash, although i can't figuere out what it is. i never run my AC, so it can't be that. i tried tightning the screws in my dash to see if that helps out, havent heard it yet. Has anyone figuered out how to correct this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pgstein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pgstein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
MichaelSim
MichaelSim is on a distinguished road

Default Sunroof deflector

I have a 2002 v6 awd with a dealer installed sunroof air deflector. Last winter I noticed a horrible noise that I didn't realize was coming from the deflector, it was a flapping sound that would get very loud and then go away. I especially noticed it when passing oncoming traffic at high speed. The dealer couldn't duplicate the noise. Last spring I noticed some small cracks in the deflector near the ends where the bolts are and also in the middle. One day, with the sun roof open, it started making that noise and I put my hand up and grabbed it and it stopped. Now that I knew where the noise was I told the dealer and since it was cracked they replaced it for free. Have not had any noise since, I'm not sure if it was defective or not installed properly. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelSim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelSim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I don't know what that little noise is behind the dash, but it sounds like a little motor or clock running. We have it on both our VUEs, and don't pay any attention to it anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
aztimm

2003 VUE 3.0L
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the info about the clicking noise in the dash. I've only experienced it in cooler weather, and it started on the trip to Flagstaff a few weeks ago when lows were in the 30s. I haven't noticed it at all in the past week, even when running the a/c.

Also, thanks for the input on the sunroof air deflector. I've noticed that if it is making the flapping noise and I open the sunroof, the noise stops. It is also worse when passing traffic, or when there are crosswinds. I've only had my Vue for 2 months, and the deflector put on a week after that...

I'll certainly get both of these looked at when I get the oil changed, in another month.

Thanks.

Tim Murphy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
MichaelSim
MichaelSim is on a distinguished road

The flapping noise was a hard one to figure out and the dealer could not duplicate it. The new deflector has been fine no noise at all. It was especially bad with any oncoming traffic or crosswind. The first time it happened it scared me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelSim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelSim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:50 PM   #9
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

I just developed the clicking noise in the dash today, sounds like an old speedometer cable that needs greased

Anybody know what it is yet?

Just another annoying noise to dump on the dealer with the others pretty soon

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
Heavy Mettle
Heavy Mettle is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is your problem but I had a vibrating sound coming from the clear plastic over the instrument panel.If this is the problem,a small thin piece of foam rubber stuck between the clear plastic and the curved black part of the dash might fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heavy Mettle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heavy Mettle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
AlanWoody
AlanWoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by The Math God
I just developed the clicking noise in the dash today, sounds like an old speedometer cable that needs greased

Anybody know what it is yet?

Just another annoying noise to dump on the dealer with the others pretty soon
Well Math God, sounds like you are in the same boat as I am. I must assume you bought your VUE from Saturn Of Toledo too. I'll be taking mine in very soon for this problem, so I'll let you know what they find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlanWoody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlanWoody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

AW,
right you are

let me know what you find out,
i'm going to add to my hit list before I go in

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread