SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
sp33doe
sp33doe is on a distinguished road

Default Iac Valve Cleaning??

to all techs

how do you clean the IAC VALVE without taking out the TB

any bolts to remove?

car is an LS1 2000 2.2 5 SPEED

thanx for any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sp33doe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

I could tell you, but since I'm not a tech, it seems you don't want to hear from me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Dach
Dach is on a distinguished road

He didn't say certified or even Saturn tech. Certainly you are a tech in some field or another.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Without taking out the tb... unbolt the iac and clean the pintle and the port with some carb cleaner (or other suitable solvent).

Without taking out the valve, spray a bunch of carb cleaner into the iac hole (in front of the throttle plate, in the throttle body) with the engine running. gets it almost as clean...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
sp33doe

ty saturn Eh

to the guy who first responded (tedl) its up to you if you gonna give some input or not.

let me just rephrase that " to all people" lol

ty again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

I'm not a tech... but I play one on TV...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:14 AM   #7
Dach
Dach is on a distinguished road

Well I'm not one either...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
TedL

Sorry, I was just poking a little fun. My experience ends with '96 DOHC engines. I don't know what's in your vehicle.

Some points that may still apply...............
For me on the earlier DOHC: You can do it without removing the TB, but getting it off is such a PITA that I'd much rather burn a few bucks on the new gasket and take off two easy nuts/bolts, than squeeze my hands between the engine & firewall, drop the screws a few times, lose one, etc.

Also, on the earlier DOHCs, the manual recommends replacing the IAC o-ring, which goes for $9.

Now, the access issues may not apply to your vehicle/engine, but a broader question does: If the IAC needs cleaning, why not give the TB that it's part of a good cleaning? And if you're doing that, my personal view, despite Gumout's reassurances, is that I'd rather not run half a can of carb cleaner, and the crud it dislodges, through my engine, around my plugs, past my O2 sensors and into my converter. I know it's not going to do them any good!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
sp33doe

ty tedl

might take the whole tb out and do a good cleaning on it

sp33doe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
sp33doe

Default torx

what about the size of the two bolts torx anybody knows the size?

ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #11
sp33doe

i mean to say the 2 bolts on IAC VALVE,,,,, SIZE?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #12
TedL

As I said in my PM response, for my vehicles, both the IAC and the TPS use two T-20 bolts. Later engines????

Easiest approach is to buy a set of torx sockets for $10 or so. I've used almost all of the nine or ten sizes I have in the past couple of years.

Sears has a cheap set.

Companion 8 pc. Star Bit Set
8 pc. bit set includes 1/4 in. dr. T15, T20, T25; 3/8 in. dr. size T30, T40, T45, T50. Clip rail included. $7.99

Or
Companion Folding Torx Key Set
Folding Torx key set includes T9, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30 and T40. $4.99

Last edited by TedL; 09-25-2003 at 08:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 09-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #13
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

I take my throttle body off to clean it all the time. It really only take a few mins, and as there is no fluid using that gasket I see no reason why you can't reuse it. I picked up a new gasket and have had the TB off 3 times now. It is still in fine shape. Also with the TB off, you can clean the thick black gunk off the back of the throttle plate.

06 Red Ion Redline w/comp package, aero wing (for now), sunroof and onstar. 224whp/195wtq - stock

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer AWD V8 - stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:30 AM   #14
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Fm Applefool
Quote:
I picked up a new gasket and have had the TB off 3 times now. It is still in fine shape. Also with the TB off, you can clean the thick black gunk off the back of the throttle plate.
Good alert, thank you applefool

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:18 PM   #15
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I got a chance to look at the FSM when I was down in Fargo this week. For cleaning the throttle body it recommends removing it so you can clean the entired thing, meaning easier access to the IAC and backside of the throttle butterfly. It recommends a new gasket, but I believe wolfman said 9 times out of 10 you can reuse the old gasket. Very easy job, much easier to clean the IAC this way. BTW, not sure exactly what size bolt for the IAC, but it is one of the more common Torx sizes.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #16
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

The IAC and TPS use T-20 torx bits, and I believe 2 10mm bolts are all it takes to remove the TB.

06 Red Ion Redline w/comp package, aero wing (for now), sunroof and onstar. 224whp/195wtq - stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:12 PM   #17
sp33doe

thanx guys for all ur response
i do appreciate it

5 speed 2000 ls1 2.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:16 PM   #18
sp33doe

oops,,,, applefool what is a TPS?

2000 LS1 2.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:20 PM   #19
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

Throttle Position Sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:25 PM   #20
sp33doe

ok ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread