SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
DCAlden
DCAlden is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Cloudy headlight lenses?

I want to replace my stock headlight bulbs with a brighter bulb like the 9005 Crystal Vision but I notice that the lenses seem cloudy to the point that I canít even see the current bulb unless the headlights are on. Even then, I can only see the filiment shining thru the lense and not the bulb itself. Is this normal and if not is it a problem that I can correct?

Also, am I right in assuming that I can access the headlight bulbs thru the access panel in the wheelwell the same as the turnsignals?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DCAlden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DCAlden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DCAlden is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cloudy headlight lenses?

Hi, theres a circular cap in the engine bay at the back of the assembly that is for the headlight. They just twist off and you will have access to the headlight bulb. As far as the cloudy lens, do you mean the glass outer part or the projector inside the assembly?

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

You aren't meant to see the bulb inside the projector, unless you are talking about the exterior of the headlight itself being cloudy?

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAlden View Post
I want to replace my stock headlight bulbs with a brighter bulb like the 9005 Crystal Vision but I notice that the lenses seem cloudy to the point that I canít even see the current bulb unless the headlights are on. Even then, I can only see the filiment shining thru the lense and not the bulb itself. Is this normal and if not is it a problem that I can correct?

Also, am I right in assuming that I can access the headlight bulbs thru the access panel in the wheelwell the same as the turnsignals?

Thanks!
From my experience the Crystal Vision are very disappointing as far as light output. They are a lot whiter but not brighter. In fact they put out less lumens than stock bulbs.
One of the brightest bulbs is the Silverstar Ultra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
DCAlden

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the replies. I couldnt seem to respond earlier due to the spam deluge.
The housings themselves do need to be refinished when the weather improves but what I guess I meant was that the projector lens looked milky white instead of clear. I didnít realize that was how it was supposed to be.

I will look into the silverstar ultras. The stock bulbs are definitely below par. Worst headlights I have ever had.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DCAlden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, the main difference between conventional reflector or projector headlights are; reflector headlights have their bulb(s) clearly in view while projector headlights hide their bulbs deep behind their small diameter bullet style lens. My L300 has both, small diameter projector low beam lights and larger diameter reflector high beam lights. For whatever reason, GM decided America's L300s didn't qualify for HID low beam lights and use halogens instead (55w). Projectors, used as low beams, have a metal cutoff plate inside that's seen as the distinctive cutoff line running horizontally when low beams are aimed at a wall. This cutoff is meant to prevent the upper beam from becoming the blinding light every driver sees when HIDs are put into reflector light housings without a cutoff plate. If a cutoff plate isn't used in low beam projector light housings, they are high beams with all the accompanying glare of high beams. Not only are my original low beams using 55w halogen bulbs, the projector cuts off the upper beam. This allowed me to use HID lamps in the projector light housings. My concern about blinding opposing traffic led me to choose 35 watt HID lamps with absolutely zero glare. No one has ever high beamed me anywhere in NYC/NJ/Conn night time traffic. HID lamps only work in projector light housings and never designed for reflector light housings where many make the mistake and blind everyone.

Here are two links of successful HID upgrades to Astras to consider;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206866

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125751

Some conversions are more difficult than others due to the DRL and canbus circuits. Others may be less difficult so researching is the best way to determine if HID lights will work in a specific model with little modification.

My conversion is on its third year without issues and if I hold onto my car, I might upgrade to 55w HIDS if and when the 35 watt lamps burn out or a ballast fails. I chose an inexpensive HID kit to minimize costs with the greatest return. I was able to retain full DRL use but this runs both low beam HIDs at full current and output. Full power during daytime driving should shorten the life of HIDs but mine are still going strong. My projector lens is cloudy but doesn't seem to affect light output - signs are lit up better from a distance. In NYC driving, I'm not concerned for brighter lighting but I chose lower wattage lighting for the initial mod. No resister or capacitor addon and this mod doesn't affect DRL use. L300s use low beams as DRLs with a resistor to reduce current to each headlight. The canbus circuit doesn't detect HID ballasts and the factory resistor doesn't affect ballasts drawing current for starting up HID lamps. This may be unique to L300s and does not mean other models are as easily modified.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 12-26-2019 at 08:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAlden View Post
Thanks for the replies. I couldnt seem to respond earlier due to the spam deluge.
The housings themselves do need to be refinished when the weather improves but what I guess I meant was that the projector lens looked milky white instead of clear. I didnít realize that was how it was supposed to be.

I will look into the silverstar ultras. The stock bulbs are definitely below par. Worst headlights I have ever had.

Thanks again.
Sanding the lenses is a pretty easy and straightforward process. There a lot a tutorials online. If you cant find a decent one I'll make one. My headlights needs refinished

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:35 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Some businesses offer to perform headlight restorations at reasonable prices. I had mine done at a Sam's Club store (with an automotive department). Walmart also offers the service with a one year warranty. Sam's Club offers a five year warranty for their work.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
DCAlden

2008 Astra XR

Thanks again guys! Great information. I do have plans to sand and polish the outer housings but it will have to wait until spring. My concern, never having had projector lenses before was that they looked kind of milky and I could not see the bulb clearly. I thought that maybe moisture has condensed behind the projector lenses or that time had turned them cloudy. Now that I know that this is the way they are supposed to look I can just replace the current bulbs with brighter ones. I will probably try the Silverstar Ultra route for simplicty sake. Theyíve got to be better than what I have now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!