SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
meseville
meseville is on a distinguished road

Default PCM error code 32 in 1993 SL1

Anyone know the meaning of PCM code 32 in a 1993 SL1?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meseville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Code 32 is an EGR system fault. Searching the forums here, it looks like a bad EGR valve will set the code. All you need to do then is replace the EGR valve.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

It's pointing you to the EGR system. Don't assume that means to change the egr valve - - check all the wiring and connections. The Saturn repair manual has six pages of diagnostic flow charts and directions. Try to find one near you. Don't just start swapping in new parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
meseville

My 1995 shop manual lists the fault code 32 as a EGR problem. My 1995 SL1 EGR is computer controled but I believe my 93 SL1 is not computer controlled. So, can my 1993, non computer controlled EGR set a fault con 32 for a bad EGR or does a code 32 mean something else in 1993?

Thanks,
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help meseville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

From resident expert wolfman:
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
On the 93' OBD1 cars, there is NO direct electronic connection between the EGR valve itself and the PCM (the PCM does not know whether the valve is working or not) It DOES know however if the EGR SOLENOID is NOT working or shorted. A code 26 AND 32 indicates a shorted SOLENOID a code 32 ALONE generally indicates a "dead" SOLENOID (no voltage drain at the quad driver module when the signal to open the EGR valve is sent by the PCM) You can check the operation of teh valve by ataching a short length of vacuum hose to the valve and then $ucking on it with the engine running. If the engine roughens or stalls, the valve is FINE. If not, replace it. When the vacuum is removed the valve should gradually but deliberately and seal completely. If you have ANY doubt that it is a little "slow" or is not sealing inside the engine, remove and clean the LOWER portion of the valve and it's ports with an old toothbrush dipped in solvent. DO NOT clean the upper mushroom shaped diaphram OR submerge it in solvent. (FYI: An EGR valve with a SLIGHT sealing leak "can" slightly increase idle speed)

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #6
meseville

Its only a single error code 32. So tomorrow I'll first check the valve to confirm its operational, than I'll hunt for the location of the SOLENOID and hot wire it to identify if it is working or not. If the solenoid is working maybe I can trick the computer into thinking it needs to turn on the solenoid. I suspect that the PCM looks for high engine temperature as a signal to activate the solenoid so I'll simulate a high temperature by maybe short (or open or ??) the water temperature sensor that goes to the PCM.

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

It's only looking for the ECT to be above 150 something, not overheating, before it expects the circuit voltage to be within normal range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
wrchism
wrchism is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1994 SL1

For what it's worth, I'll add my two cents worth. If I remember correctly, code 32 is set if the O2 sensor doesn't see the expected change after the EGR is commanded open - on the '93 (and my '94) there is no direct way for the ECU to know the position of the EGR valve. Open when it shouldn't be / leaky will really screw up idle, closed when it should be open won't do anything except turn on the check engine light. Yours is either a solonoid ($20) or a valve ($100). After I tracked the erratic idle on mine to the EGR, I pulled and plugged the line at the valve - that was three years ago - sure it sets the check engine light, but still passe Colorado emissions tests - no NOX testing here. I've simply not seen the reason to spend the $$$ to fix it.

My Saturns: 1994 SL1 2002 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrchism's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrchism reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #9
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

How to check a vacuum operated EGR system
On a '91-'94(non Ca) Saturn uses a vac operated EGR valve.
To check the valve you will need a vacum pump.
test1
With the engine off apply vacuum to the valve. The valve should move to the open position and hold vac. Release vacuum. The valve should slowly drop back to the closed position.
Test 2.
Apply vacuum and hold. Start engine. The valve should vent the vacuum and drop vack to the normally closed position when the engine starts.

Test 3
With the engine running. reach under the valve and pull up on diafragm-CAUTION VERY HOT-.
engine should stumble, possibly stall.

If test 1or 2 fails the EGR valve is bad. If test 3 fails, the EGR passage is plugged.

A code 32 can only be set by an EGR valve that doesn't move( no vacuum or hole in diafragm) or a plugged passage.

If you have a code 32 and all the above tests pass, then the most likely cause is a bad solenoid or loss of vacuum.

~ If it worked before you messed with it, it must be something you did ~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #10
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

My mechanic plugged off the vacuum line to the EGR on my SL1 a few months ago, which got rid of my stalling/bucking problem. The SES sometimes comes on, reading code 32. He said he's seen plenty of instances where people replace EGR valves but problems don't go away.

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:37 PM   #11
meseville

Final message! Cheap fix! The hose was disconnected from the EGR valve, I must have knocked it off when I replaced the air conditioner expansion valve earlier this month. Cleared faults and now no problems. The automatic transmission shifts less also, must be due to correcting vacume leak.

Thanks,
Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread