SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
bobacker
bobacker is on a distinguished road

Default Snow Tires

Has anyone bought studded snow tires for your view?

We spent long years in Fla, now live in Colorado, and need all the advantages we can get when driving in show and ice. So we spend the extra bucks for studded snows.

On my sw1 used cooper wintermasters. These are noisy, but are good in snow.

For the view, looking at Medalist Winter Kings (sold by Discount Tire) for about $73 which includes studs, balancing, mounting, wear based road hazzard, etc. I took a look at the tires, they look ok.

Has anyone used them?

Are there any better deals out there?

Thanks!

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
bk63
Advanced Member
bk63 is on a distinguished road

If you live in an area with a lot of snow you should have AWD. There is a huge difference between vehicles with FWD and AWD in the snow. Good all season tires on an AWD vehicle will practically go anywhere in the snow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
bobacker

While AWD would be nice, my primary desire on snow and ice is to be able to stop quickly. I do not believe AWD would make much difference there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Given the area in which you live I assume you got ABS on your Vue. With ABS I would recommend the Bridgestone blizzacks as I have found them to be great in the snow and Ice. I find that the noise of studded tires is to much for me to ignore and don't like them. But if you do not have ABS it may be a good option to consider.

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
shaung
shaung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bk63
If you live in an area with a lot of snow you should have AWD. There is a huge difference between vehicles with FWD and AWD in the snow. Good all season tires on an AWD vehicle will practically go anywhere in the snow.
I have to respectfully disagree, during the years I lived in Durango Colorado, I owned both 2WD and 4WD pickups. For hitting the trails, I agree the 4WD is important, ( you can get stuck in more inaccessable places ), but on snow/ice covered pavement, I would prefer snow tires to 4WD. The snow tires will also help you stop and turn. 4WD only materially assists with getting moving.

With Michelin Artic-Alpins on my SL2s, ( or Polar-Grips on the pickups ), I have never been stuck with 2WD. If Wolf Creek Pass, ( near Pagosa Springs ), is not a good test, I do not know what is. I will grant that 4/AWD may give an edge in starting from a stop, but I sold the last 4WD Mazda B4000 for the 2000 SL2, and have never become stuck.

If you really want to make certain you do not get stuck, carry tire chains.

Shaun

'03 Vue FWD4m 48K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #6
bk63
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shaung
but on snow/ice covered pavement, I would prefer snow tires to 4WD. The snow tires will also help you stop and turn. 4WD only materially assists with getting moving.
You really think 2wd with snow tires is better than an all wheel drive vehicle? We get some heavy snow here in New England and have some pretty good hills. I've gotten stuck many times in fwd vehciles with snow tires and studs. Never have I gotten stuck in a 4 wheel drive vehicle in the snow. You have to be kidding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bk63 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
our1vue
our1vue is on a distinguished road

I've gotten stuck with 4wd and 4 studded snowtires (it can be done). There was a test on the web between Blizzack and wintermaster studded. They said the blizzack did pretty close to the wintermaster on ice for steering and acceleration. They didn't do stopping though (wonder why). A friend of mine had a set of blizzack, but said they were a soft tire and wore out fast compaired to studded snow tires. This is the first winter with our vue and we'll be getting studded wintermasters. We live on a big hill and they never let me down getting home with our corsica. One thing to concider is ABS stopping on slippery surfaces. There have been lots of studies to show you stop much faster without ABS on snowey surfaces than with ABS (which is the reason I bought the vue, no ABS !!!) Give me a set of studded snow tire with no ABS on ice anyday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to our1vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help our1vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #8
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Note that studs are illegal in some snow belt states.

Even though I live in the snow belt, I don't use snow tires. Certainly, in some conditions I drive in they would be helpful, but most of the winter a good all-season tire is more than adequate.

Note that out here in the great plains we don't get anywhere near the snow that New York or the mountain states like Colorado get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:04 PM   #9
our1vue
our1vue is on a distinguished road

Studs were illegal in NY for 1 winter. The public backlash was so much they were legal again next winter. Turns out the state had to keep the roads much better if they made people drive without studs (which they couldn't do). Besides this give NY a chance to rebuild the road every couple of year and keep the NY ecomony going :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to our1vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help our1vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #10
bk63
Advanced Member

ABS brakes may have it's drawbacks in some conditions but I've been on some highways when snow storms and ice storms kicked up very suddenly and there was a pile up in front of me. Having to hit your brakes quickly and quite hard to avoid being part of the pileup, it helps a lot having ABS to keep you from going out of control into a skid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bk63's Reputation
Old 09-12-2003, 11:54 PM   #11
bobacker

I have wintermasters on my SW1. Good tire but noisey. Aprox $50 ea for the SW1. For the view, I was quoted 100 ea.

Discount tire sells something called a Medalist (made especially for them according to the tire guy in Bromfield) by either Goodyear or Goodritch (dont remember which). Quoted $73/tire, which is all inclusive except for sales tax.

Seems like a better price. Tire looked ok. The wintermaster has studs on the outer rim of tire and inner area. Medalist has studs on the outer edge of the tire, not in the center. The amount of studs seem about the same for each tire. The Discount Tire guy says the Medalist are quieter, and put more rubber in contact with the road...

So thats the one I am considering... Also waiting for Wal Mart to get back with a quote... Has anyone used the Medalist?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2003, 12:51 AM   #12
bobacker

I have wintermasters on my SW1. Good tire but noisey. Aprox $50 ea for the SW1. For the view, I was quoted 100 ea.

Discount tire sells something called a Medalist (made especially for them according to the tire guy in Bromfield) by either Goodyear or Goodritch (dont remember which). Quoted $73/tire, which is all inclusive except for sales tax.

Seems like a better price. Tire looked ok. The wintermaster has studs on the outer rim of tire and inner area. Medalist has studs on the outer edge of the tire, not in the center. The amount of studs seem about the same for each tire. The Discount Tire guy says the Medalist are quieter, and put more rubber in contact with the road...

So thats the one I am considering... Also waiting for Wal Mart to get back with a quote... Has anyone used the Medalist?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #13
alanhvue
alanhvue is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be driving through the Rockies in Colorado in October. Although it's early in the season, I'm thinking of taking chains or cables in case of an emergency. I have an AWD 4 Vue with ABS. I live in Phoenix, so chains aren't normally an issue for me.

I believe chains can't be used due to the wheel well clearances. From reading around the forum I see that cables should be okay. However, where can I find some that fit the goofy 235/65-16 tires?

The dealer has these spider-shaped things, too. How are these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanhvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanhvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #14
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Hrm, studs are illegal in Ohio. I don't have ABS (wish I did, though), and I made it through 3+ feet of snow last year around here, plus up and down my treacherous driveway many times.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2003, 02:14 AM   #15
jinjimbob
jinjimbob is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Studded tires are legal in Ohio from November 1 though April 15. Haven't tested the Vue in the snow yet, been in everything else, used 4wd a lot though, most fun is sand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jinjimbob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jinjimbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #16
alanhvue
alanhvue is on a distinguished road

My trip got bumped up, so I'm not going to worry about it -- highs in the Colorado Rockies are going to be in the 60s next week. However, it would be nice to know for future reference if anyone makes cables for Vue-sized tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alanhvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alanhvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:56 AM   #17
shaung

Canadiandriver.com has an interesting article on Snow Tires and SUVs. Here are two quotes:

"Up here, in the Great White North, or even in Fargo or Chicago, a 4x4 needs winter tires. The problem with four-wheel-drive is that it can give you this very false sense of security. Sure, it’ll get going like a mountain goat in the middle of a snowstorm, but when you come to stop or turn, what do you know? You only have the same four rubber patches holding you on the road as everyone else around you. But you have a couple of tons of “projectimobile”, with a very high centre of gravity. Consequently, those almost bald “all season” tires are going to give you no margin of error and into the ditch you will go. At first snowfall, the helicopter traffic reports will undoubtedly tell us that the upside downers at the side of the Autoroute are all 4x4s. These are all those SUV owners that believed they could avoid the cost and inconvenience of a seasonal tire change by buying a 4x4. Nothing could be further from the truth. "

"An SUV, of course, is in the worst position of all, if it is not equipped with ice tires. It is very heavy, has a steering system that is slow to react and because of its high centre of gravity, is equally slow to change direction. Ironically, it has been proven in several different tests that a lightweight front wheel drive car equipped with the very latest ice tires comes within 15% of an SUV in terms of traction ability in deep snow. In conditions of wet ice, the lightweight vehicle stops, turns and goes far better than the SUV. "

The entire story can be found here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...intertires.htm

Shaun

'03 Vue FWD4m 48K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shaung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #18
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Yes, I just read that article. Some good information there (unlike last week's biased diatribe against late model S-series cars!)

I'm sure this has been asked before but I want to put a set of winter tires on my VUE. As long as I find something with a similar circumference as the OE 16" Duellers I should be okay, right? Would it be better to go with a 15" steel rim and higher profile tire or stick to a 16" one?

I just can't bear the thought of my nice alloys going through another salty/slushy GTA winter!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #19
shaung

Quote:
Originally posted by mr weather

I'm sure this has been asked before but I want to put a set of winter tires on my VUE. As long as I find something with a similar circumference as the OE 16" Duellers I should be okay, right? Would it be better to go with a 15" steel rim and higher profile tire or stick to a 16" one?
You will need to stick with a 16 inch rim, ( or larger ). I like to downsize the rim size for my snow tires as well, ( run 14's on the SL2s ), but the front brakes of the Vue are too large for a 15 inch rim. The TireRack and 1010Tires both offer a 16 inch take-off steel rim for the Vue. 16x6.5 rim with the correct bolt pattern and offset for around $45 dollars each. I just had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows delivered. I went with the 215/70-16 size for a narrower footprint. The package delivered was around $530.

Shaun

'03 Vue FWD4m 48K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #20
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, Shaun. Which bolt pattern is used on the VUE? I saw on 1010tire a 5x100 and a 5x115 (I think). Most likely I'll end up buying at a local tire dealer, just looking for background info before I take the plunge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread