SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
Mike H
Mike H is on a distinguished road

Question Window Regulator Questions

My daughter's 93 SL2 has the power driver's window acting up.
If seems like a gear is stripped. If we push or pull past the bad spots it will start working until it hits another bad spot.

Replies to my previous post told me to replace the regulator. I pulled the door apart and am able to get to it.

Couple of questions.

One, the manual says to drill out the cam bolts and splayed rivets. I can find the rivets, but what are the cam bolts?

Second, through various suppliers on the internet, I can find the regulator. I can also find a new motor if that is what I need. What I cannot see is if it is the regulator and/or motor is bad. Apparently, the motor can be removed from the regulator. I cannot see the spot where the gear from the motor meets up with the gear on the regulator to determin which is bad. Does anyone know if the regulator/motor are sold as a unit or separately and is there a way to tell which is bad without disassembling the mechanism?

Thanks,

Mike

'93 SL2, daughter's car
'93 Taurus, wife's car
'89 Jaguar XJ6, my daily driver
'78 MG Midget, my hobby

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
racerdain
racerdain is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SL2

I'm not sure about aftermarket, but, from Saturn you have to buy the whole assembly, the motor is not available seperately. The # for the left front regulator for a 95 sedan is 21097243 and should run about $105-$115 from the dealer. If the last 8 digits of your VIN# are prior to SZ148736, you need to get a copy of tech bulletin 94-T-53. It shows the procedure for replacing yours with the redesigned one. Also, if you get one from the dealer, make sure it's packaged correctly. Saturn had a whole mispacked shipment of them. As far as checking to see what's bad, I can't help you there. Ask Wolfman or Saturn-eh, they seem to be the 2 most knowledgeable(sp?) people on here. Good luck and good day.

Mike Moore
Saturn of Tiffany Springs
Parts Manager

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racerdain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racerdain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

It is more than likely that the regulator gear teeth are stripped. This will neccessitate replacement of the entire regulator assembly. You can check for sure by moving the regulator up and down, noting the condition of the teeth on both the motor, and regulator arm.

There are four rivets on the regulator that need to be drilled out, two funny nuts that secure the glass to the regulator (there is a special socket, but good heavy snap ring pliers, or needle nose will do) and two 10mm bolts that hold the "slide track" to the door. that's it.

I have never heard of cam bolts, nor had to drill them out (I have replaced more Saturn window regulators than I care to count)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #4
BigShelby
BigShelby is on a distinguished road

Is it me or are there alot of us out there with broke regulators?

Looking for another great Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigShelby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigShelby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #5
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

One reason any car with power windows is off my shopping list.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
Colin_SL2
Colin_SL2 is on a distinguished road

Okay, my regulator needs to be replaced as well, question for you all...there is mention of drilling out the rivets...do you have to replace them with something, or do you just attach the new regulator with the bolts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Colin_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Colin_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Bump. In Colin's shoes -- do most people just use bolts to reattach the assembly? My dad has the correct rivets and tool, but he's still in FLA for the winter.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Mike H
Mike H is on a distinguished road

I replaced mine with nuts and bolts. I suggest you use loctite or some other thread sealer on them. I ended up using the redesigned regulator that came without instructions for the correct procedure. It wasn't difficult to make it work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
R4V3N SP33D
R4V3N SP33D is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1997 SW2

I had the same kind of go round with my 2002 SL2 windows. Took the dealer forever to figure out what it was (still under warranty and all) but after replacing the modulator and the regulator and the motor (and whatever else -or thing they could think of) the console switches were replaced and badda bing the windows work flawlessly and I have not had an issue since!

ud503j's fangirl :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to R4V3N SP33D's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help R4V3N SP33D reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Dingo Warrior
Dingo Warrior is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Re: Window Regulator Questions

The window regulator on my 94' saturn sc1 has worn teeth which prevent it from working properly. I have a manual one...not a power one, so I really don't need the moter. Is it possible to buy one without the moter? If not, then is the part the same, so that I would just have to take the moter off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dingo Warrior's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dingo Warrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
racerdain
racerdain is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SL2

The regulator for a car with manual windows is different than one for power windows. The part numbers for yours are as follows:
Passenger side 21097200
Drivers side 21097201
Before you go out and buy a new regulator, check to see if the little plastic piece that sits in the channel is broken. If it is(which is very common) then all you need is part number 21172105.

Mike Moore
Saturn of Tiffany Springs
Parts Manager

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racerdain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racerdain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

This is a common thing. Mine work still on my '91, but they get stuck 10% up, and 50% up, and have to be helped up&down, but thank god, they still work. Rear windows still show no sign of failure. Sunroof even still works fine, but it leaks a bit. (I'll get that fixed soon) You need new regulators.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #13
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: Window Regulator Questions

The window regulators are sold with and without the motors attached. The price difference is small, perhaps $15 or $20 or so. When the driver's power window in my 1993 SL2 died I was convinced it was the regulator. Since I didn't want to take the door apart more than once to troubleshoot and try to fix things and so on, I simply bought a new window regulator with the motor attached (for less than $100) and swapped them both. The only thing that was a pain in the neck was the pair of window sash nuts that attach the bottom of the window pane glass to the top of the window regulator.

http://home.comcast.net/~David93SL2/regulator/

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m
David,

This is a great pictorial/tutorial on how to replace the window regulator. It really should be in the How-To section (if it isn't already!). I also hope your web space will remain stable and this valuable set of instructions won't get lost.

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
mpost
mpost is on a distinguished road

David,

This is a great pictorial/tutorial about replacing the window regulator and motor. Thanks very much!

Now, for my question: I have a 93 SC-2. My passenger's side power window will open smoothly with no problems. However, when I try to close it by holding the switch in the up position, nothing happens. I can reliably close it by clicking the switch up, releasing it, and repeating, perhaps a dozen times. Each time, the window closes a few inches and then stops. So, the question is: should I be looking at the mechanical parts such as the regulator/motor, or at the electrical such as the switch?

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mpost's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mpost reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: Window Regulator Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultp
David,

This is a great pictorial/tutorial on how to replace the window regulator. It really should be in the How-To section (if it isn't already!). I also hope your web space will remain stable and this valuable set of instructions won't get lost.

Paul.
Thanks. Yes, I will move it to the "How-To" area here at SaturnFans. My goal was to show my non-Saturn family and friends how easily some things can be fixed on a Saturn. Imagine trying to replace a window regulator on a car without removable exterior panels! I'd guess we'd have to do everything from the inside with the interior panel removed, working in a confined area and sticking our hands into little openings with sharp metal edges. And I'd guess it would take many hours to get the job done.

I also have other stuff I want to add to the "How-To" area but haven't found the time to do it yet. But I still have the photos and notes I wrote down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpost
David,

This is a great pictorial/tutorial about replacing the window regulator and motor. Thanks very much!

Now, for my question: I have a 93 SC-2. My passenger's side power window will open smoothly with no problems. However, when I try to close it by holding the switch in the up position, nothing happens. I can reliably close it by clicking the switch up, releasing it, and repeating, perhaps a dozen times. Each time, the window closes a few inches and then stops. So, the question is: should I be looking at the mechanical parts such as the regulator/motor, or at the electrical such as the switch?

Thanks in advance.
I would guess it is the window regulator. However before going through the expense and time involved with replacing the window regulator I'd recommend first checking out the power window switch. Remove the power window switch module, make sure the contacts are clean, and make sure the wire harnesses are securely attached. The electrical contacts can be cleaned by spraying electronics cleaner through a straw resembling a coffee straw (it comes with the can of cleaner and Radio Shack sells it, catalog item #64-4315 ). Probably the wiring is fine. Oh - to get the power window switch out there are two spring clips on the narrow end closest to the parking brake handle; the other narrow end near closest to the ashtray sort of slides into place like a tongue-and-groove fitting so don't try prying the power window switch up there! I have an extra power window switch (from a 4-door S-Series) and I will photograph it to show what these clips look like to help get it out with minimal damage - if you decide to pop it up and out. It might be feasible to get it out cleanly by raising the center console, sticking our arm inside, and squeezing the spring clip things while pushing it out from underneath. My memory is bad, there might not be enough room to do this comfortably. My bet is still on the window regulator but it is best to check the easy and cheap things first!

Start a new thread here at SaturnFans and see what others advise before doing anything...

As of 12 Jul 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 208K
∙ 1996 SC2,122K
∙ 2002 SL1, 88K
∙ 2004 VUE, 95K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread