SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 PM   #61
mgrace74
mgrace74 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

I was having this same problem last week with the two lights flashing on and off. Today my car overheated and when I checked the coolant, it was full of what looks like mud. My heater also stopped working today. Does anyone know if this could be related to the ECTS?

TIA.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgrace74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgrace74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #62
blimey
blimey is on a distinguished road

So, I went to the dealer to get a new ECTS for my '95 SL1. Based on what I read here, I wanted to be sure to get the all-brass part. The parts guy hands me a part that looks a lot like this one; {photo robbed from another post here}

The above part has a hollow plastic/resin top, and doesn't look anything like I expected it to look like. I expected it to look like this part shown in the how-to w/pics thread;

Does anyone know the exact part# for the ETCS for a '95 SL1? Did the part # change when the part went all-brass? How does Saturn differentiate between the ETCS and the sensor used for the gauge? {is there a more specific name for the sensor used for the gauge?} Not to mention the air intake temp sensor, is that the same part# as the ETCS, and has it gone all-brass too?

So did the parts guy try to give me the wrong part? I think he gave me the gauge sensor, even though I asked for the ETCS. Any part #'s or other help appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blimey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blimey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #63
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Saturn part number 21025106 is the brass coolant temperature sensor for all 1991 to 2002 Saturn S-Series cars. This is used in the lower port of all 1991 to 2002 cylinder heads. This sends information to the PCM (computer) for things like adjusting the gasoline and air ratio, helping decide whether to turn or off the radiator fan, etc. This is not only the temperature sensor for the coolant but also the same part that is used for sensing the air temperature and for sensing the transmission temperature. This has a connector for a double wire harness.

Saturn part number 21020124 is the coolant temperature sensor for 1991 to 1995 only Saturn S-Series cars. This is used in the upper port of 1991 to 1995 cylinder heads. This sends information to the temperature gauge on the dashboard. This has a connector for a single wire harness.

If the two sensors get mixed up then the best way to identify them is by the connector for the wire harness. One wire harness has one wire and the other wire harness has two wires; the connectors are different and these parts cannot be accidentally swapped.

The next time I buy one of each I will photograph them and post them here...

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #64
blimey
blimey is on a distinguished road

Thanks David!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blimey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blimey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #65
meribona
meribona is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Followed Wolfman's instructions this afternoon and was able to switch out the ECTS on my 98 SL2 with no problems.

Some observations that may be helpful to others:

1) The ECTS I took out was indeed the old resin-tipped version. Odd thing was, however, that the tip wasn't cracked --- even after 68,650 miles.

2) It took me a few minutes to find out where the ECTS actually was. The diagram in the Chilton's manual is too small to be helpful, but I did eventually find it. Look below the air intake, slightly inboard (i.e. going toward the passenger side) of the battery and you should see two wires out in the open that aren't encased in a sheath or black plastic conduit. Follow the wires to the engine block and you'll find the ECTS. Removing the battery will make accessing the ECTS easier.

3) Be sure to have rags and buckets handy because it seems like you'll spill at least a 1/2 cup of collant regardless. I jacked up the driver side of my car in the front and back by about 4 inches or so to minimize coolant spillage. I still got spillage however so I ended up draining about a gallon of collant from the radiator stopcock drain near the passenger side front tire. Removing the cap on the surge tank helps the draining process immensely.

4) I've only driven 3 miles on my new brass-tipped ECTS but I appear to reach operating temperature (~25% on the temp gauge) much sooner now. On the old ECTS, the temp gauge needle would be stuck at zero for several minutes after startup. As far as idle goes, the engine seems marginally louder than it used to. The big difference, however, is that the idle sound is now constant whereas on the old ECTS it would change volume depending on speed, engine temperature, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meribona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meribona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #66
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I just changed mine today....
time to complete about 1/2 hour.
price for part =$25 with tax ouch!
knowing my idle, temp and fuel econ is right again...priceless!
fuel econ before change=only 18mpg!
fuel econ after ??? (probably 33-37mpg based on past)

next on the list is prolly replace the control arms. Im figuring this could easily be a 1/2 day job.
p.s. the old one I pulled out was the resin type, 225K miles and it WAS cracked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:11 PM   #67
rlalonde
rlalonde is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I changed my ECTS this past weekend. Made a world of difference. I was getting intermittent problems that I could not nail down. Found out that one of the pins on the coolant sensor was broke off and just connecting when "it wanted to". Anyway, once again, thanks to Wolfman the problem is fixed!!!!

Ron
1995 Saturn SL1
Nova Scotia, Canada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlalonde's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlalonde reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #68
allogene
allogene is on a distinguished road

I have a 96 SL1 and my Coolant temp light just started flashing the other day. I checked the coolant reservior (which was low) and added coolant. It has been about 48 hours and the light is still flashing.

My idle level is sub 1000 at idle (usually about 800) and I still get 300+ miles per tank. The car has ~83K miles. I am curious if the ECTS could cause the light to flash? Could it be something else?

I checked the coolant today I had to add more coolant. There is no puddle or signs of leakage. I was thinking that the coolant was just low and once the system was pressurized the level readjusted?

Any help would be appreciated. I really do not want to take the car to the dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to allogene's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help allogene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #69
Daryl92sc2
Daryl92sc2 is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

I was able to find the new style brass sensor at NAPA P/N TS5587 for the low price of $8.99 + tax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daryl92sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daryl92sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #70
Daryl92sc2
Daryl92sc2 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Changed ECTS with new brass sensor, it doesn't pull the 15 code (or any other), but it still just runs until it gets warmed up, then dies again.
Any other sugestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daryl92sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daryl92sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #71
robotpm
robotpm is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

By following these instructions I was done in under 10 min.

Thanks wolfman with your info it was a breeze.

One crisis at a time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robotpm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robotpm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #72
PimpcessYellie
PimpcessYellie is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Question Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!.... im a girl that doesnt know all that much about my 97 sc1 with 87kmiles... my problem is that my temp usually stays around or between the 1/4 and 1/2 marks but once it reaches the 1/2 or raises to between 1/2 and 3/4 (NOW CAUSE OF THE SUMMER) my coolent resevoir overflows from the cap between a mix of liquid anitfreeze and steam...at a red light or in a parking lot is the only time u'll notice this...just today my boyfriend and i changed ...well didnt really change...there was no thermostat on my car...probably from the old owner...so we put one on...180degree...so we drove it around and even with the new thermostat the resevoir still steamed and overflowed WITH a thermostate on it...i also got my waterpump changed within the last yr / 20,000 miles....o...another rpoblem...last summer i was getting 300miles to a full tank and now im getting 200...wats up with that...ive been reading about these ects and my boyfriend and i are gonna replace it tomorrow...any other suggestions or people with this problem??? please contact me ASAP!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PimpcessYellie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PimpcessYellie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #73
hosstics
hosstics is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Sad Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

I just changed the ECTS today on my 93 SL2. Just for the record, I currently have 227,000 miles on this car and the ECTS has never been changed. I changed it due to research on this site, which has been extremely helpful. My check engine light would go on randomly and my coolant temperature light would flash even more often. Also, I would experience rough idle when in Drive and stopped at a traffic light or stop sign. It feels as though the car is going to stall and I need to give it some gas. Funny thing is, this doesn't happen all the time and I haven't been able to notice a pattern. I bought the replacement ECTS at Auto Zone (part# TU227) and it is of the brass type. The old ECTS was actually in pretty decent condition, although I have never seen a used one before to compare it against. I had no problem replacing it, aside from some difficulty resetting the connector, by following instructions on this site and the Chilton's manual, but things were not so good after I started the car once done. The fan kicked on immediately after starting the engine and stayed on and the coolant light on the dash and the check engine light both illuminated and did not go out. I did have the negative battery cable disconnected while replacing the ECTS. Although I did not let the car run more than a few minutes and did not drive it, what happened? What did I do wrong? Could the new ECTS be defective? Is the connector bad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hosstics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hosstics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #74
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

one of two things are possible, if the SES light is flashing chances are you are somehow in diagnostic mode, which is normal acceived by jumpering the A and B termials of the ALDL. but more likely - if the SES light is steady then there is a problem with the sensor or the wiring. check the pins on the sensor to make sure they haven't folded over and are shorting out or have broken off, and make sure ether your or the part guy at autozone haven't confused the one-wire sender and the two-wire sensor - use this for reference - http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/19837/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:21 AM   #75
hosstics
hosstics is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Thanks for the information sierrap615. I had already removed the Autozone ECTS, returned it, and reinstalled the original part. I plan on stopping by my local Saturn dealer and purchasing the OEM ECTS and if they have it, the connector. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue I have been having. Any other suggestions on why my car feels as though it is going to stall? I was also thinking it might be the fuel filter, but not sure if I can perform this one myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hosstics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hosstics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #76
Norseman
Norseman is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I just changed my out on a 1996 SC2. The most difficult part of the procedure was removing the wire connector. You have to contort your hands to get in there. I was trying to find "ears" to squeeze on the white portion where the the wires entered. I kept trying to feel around with my fingers feeling for tabs of some sort. After looking at the new sensor, I tried feeling around the black portion of the connector and was not sure what I felt. After awhile of just squeezing around the black portion it finally came off.

I removed and recapped the coolant overflow container and jacked up the driver front. I put some paper towels underneath the area and only a small amount of coolant dripped out. After replacing the sensor, I disconnected the negative battery cable for 20 seconds.

The first thing I noticed after starting the engine was how much smoother it was. I drove it for about 5 miles. When I come to a complete stop and idling, the engine is smoother. The interior panels don't rattle as loud as before...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Norseman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Norseman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #77
96sl2
96sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Wolfman thank you so much for posting these directions I did this to my 96sl2 and wow what a difference up into this point I had no idea what the heck was going on with my car then I stumbled across this and you guys described all the symtoms my car had so I used your guide to replace the ECTS and its like I bought a new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #78
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Feels like a new car again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sl2
...and its like I bought a new car.
Next try replacing your upper motor mount, also known as the torque axis mount. It is less than $100 (even if you optionally buy 3 new bolts and 5 new nuts), it can be done in your garage in less than 10 minutes, and the result is most vibration from the engine is eliminated. Over time this component weakens and most people say their car feels like it is brand new after replacing it.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #79
96sl2
96sl2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Thanks for the info David 93 I will replace upper motor mount and post my results thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #80
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

The top sensor is the ECTS correct? I just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong one. The lower one is the sensor that controls the temp guage right? Should I replace both or just the ECTS and see if that helps first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread