SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #21
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Hey Spazie,

Be careful when you go for the wire connector...there is a plastic piece that covers the wires which is attached to the sensor piece. I pulled it off and thought I had broke the plastic cover, but it snaps right back on.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #22
freakerz
Advanced Member
freakerz is on a distinguished road

I bought meters, you know for oil, temp and volt.. you say "DO NOT PANIC", well I PANIC and I returned the product to Canadian Tire LOLOLOL.. I didn't read your post in time I guess =( .. oh well, 40$ for something else.. like paint..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freakerz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freakerz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2004, 04:22 AM   #23
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Just read this after a few weeks. Important note: Put the cap BACK ON the resevoir tank TIGHTLY after removing it to relieve any pressure on a STONE COLD engine. The cap is a ONE WAY VALVE. If you still get a huge amount of coolant loss out the tiny ECTS port when the sensor is removed, either:

1. The engine was indeed NOT stone cold, or:
2. The resevoir tank cap seal or cap one way vent valve in it is bad.

You should not get a huge amount of coolant loss if the directions are followed to the letter and the system is intact (sealed) and the cap is good and securely tightened, after being initially removed to vent any residual pressure.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2004, 03:18 AM   #24
cozkramer
cozkramer is on a distinguished road

I'd just like to say Hi to everyone.. The house has a '96 SC2 that I get to work on for some reason. I mainly deal in old pre '72 cars so this aluminum and plastic thing is new.. Bear with me plz.. I've read over this forum for a few days and will say, WOW! What a great buncha guys!

So, onto the reply.. I cannot stress enough Wolfman's "Don't Overtighten" statement.. There's a photo to follow.. I'd like to add, Do NOT use a 1/2" Socket Wrench to install this! Stick with a 3/8 or 1/4. It may have only cost me an extra $17 for another part, but the time and agravation, not to mention scare factor was not worth it!

The black twisty thing is a #4 Fluted Screw Extractor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cozkramer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cozkramer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:44 AM   #25
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: Re: Replaced ECTS

Quote:
Originally posted by ZoomEquipd
Do you just wash the engine off w/ some water from a hose to get it clean? My dad said to take it to the car wash and use the pressure washer on it.. i'm worried that the pressure would cause damage??
don't use a pressure washer, that would be very bad. on his old cars from the 60s or 70s, this may have worked. but on today's cars the damage would two fold. first there are countless sensors and modules and solinoids and blahblahblah, much more then any older car. second, and more importently, all the wiring connection have weather seals, which work great normally. but with a lot of pressure, not only will the weather seals fail, when the pressure returns to normal, water becomes trapped inside the seals and connectiors, and its not that it may corrode, its that it WILL corrode.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 AM   #26
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Sierrap
second, and more importently, all the wiring connection have weather seals, which work great normally. but with a lot of pressure, not only will the weather seals fail, when the pressure returns to normal, water becomes trapped inside the seals and connectiors, and its not that it may corrode, its that it WILL corrode.
Point, very, very well made...

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #27
JayNYC
JayNYC is on a distinguished road

Wolfman, you are amazing! I changed this part a few eeks ago and my gas mileage has gone from 175 miles per tank to 310!!! This part paid for itself in under a week!

Thanks!

-Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JayNYC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JayNYC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #28
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by JayNYC
Wolfman, you are amazing! I changed this part a few eeks ago and my gas mileage has gone from 175 miles per tank to 310!!! This part paid for itself in under a week!
I'm not getting too great gas mileage. I'm replacing my radiator so I'm going to replace this too. Right now I think I'm getting around 240-260 miles a tank. I don't really know because my odometer is broken.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2004, 12:54 AM   #29
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by sps SOHC
I'm not getting too great gas mileage. I'm replacing my radiator so I'm going to replace this too. Right now I think I'm getting around 240-260 miles a tank. I don't really know because my odometer is broken.
you may want to throw in another $10 and change the thermostat too.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:02 AM   #30
freedominco
freedominco is on a distinguished road

followed these instructions and it took ten minutes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freedominco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freedominco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:13 AM   #31
Kentai
Kentai is on a distinguished road

Should I have to change my ECTS on my '01 SL1 after 25k miles (I part-time deliver pizza in it, miles rack up fast)? Would it make a difference in my mpg? Any improvement would be fantastic considering the current gas prices...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kentai's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kentai reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:12 AM   #32
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Would help if you tell us what you're getting now.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #33
Kentai
Kentai is on a distinguished road

Pretty consistent around 240 on a full tank that I run nearly down to E. What I was curious about is whether or not this new all-brass sensor comes stock on my car already or not, since it's a '01? And don't tell me to go look, that would require... uh... effort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kentai's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kentai reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM   #34
freakerz
Advanced Member
freakerz is on a distinguished road

Saturn 93 SL1 ECTS: 13mm DEEP WELL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freakerz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freakerz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #35
geeminator
geeminator is on a distinguished road

I guess this is another good thing to replace after I replaced my valve cover gasket and spark plugs/wires the other day...The car has stumbling idle after it warms up unless it's the computer "relearning"...Or is there some other issue I need to address?...no codes being thrown and spark plug gap is at .040 Car is a 97SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geeminator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geeminator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:27 PM   #36
zippy_LiL_sL1
zippy_LiL_sL1 is on a distinguished road

Yup, just looked at the old ects about ten minutes ago. It was cracked all the way around. 10 minute successfull swap out.. following wolfman's instructions. I am noticing a considerably cooler running engine. Maybe gas mileage will improve as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zippy_LiL_sL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zippy_LiL_sL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:37 PM   #37
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

my engine temp never goes above quarter now w/ the new ECTS and the radiator. I would think that it should...

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #38
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Changing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman

Using the 13mm deep well socket, tighten the new ECTS into the engine by turning it clockwise. Keep the socket as straight as possible over the sensor to avoid damaging it. Keep turning until you feel it "bottom" in the hole but DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT!
FYI, the torque spec is 8 Nm (71 in-lbs).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #39
canaryrx8
canaryrx8 is on a distinguished road

can someone post a pic of the location for a 2000 sl2? either my search criteria was off or ...? but I could not locate one. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canaryrx8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canaryrx8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #40
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

The forum search database isn't working very well right now. (Forum owner is testing out new features.) Check the pictures in the following thread, and then look under your car's hood in the same location as the lower sensor that the wrench is turning...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=37884

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread