SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Arrow Car Rattling Sound - Cold Engine - In Park (Saturn Vue 2007 3.5L V6 AWD)

I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or whether this is an issue getting worse.

Video here: https://youtu.be/3jSH5bjL27U

1. This only happens when the engine is cold. After 2-3 miles, I cannot hear it, even when in park. If car is warm and I turn it off/on, no noise.
2. When I put the car in reverse or drive, the sound seems to change pitch or disappear.
3. When I rev the engine in park, the volume increases

Saturn Vue 2007 3.5L V6 AWD - Auto Transmission

Sounds is like a rattling/clicking sounds. It's hard to put a specific word on it, but I hope the video helps.

Ignore abs light (fixed now) and oil light (Oil light comes on for the first 15 seconds, oil is new and fine).

Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L V6 - Honda J35S1/GM L66 Engine
GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seansaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Car Rattling Sound - Cold Engine - In Park (Saturn Vue 2007 3.5L V6 AWD)

Go underneath and check the metal heat shields around the exhaust system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Car Rattling Sound - Cold Engine - In Park (Saturn Vue 2007 3.5L V6 AWD)

Thanks for the response.

I'll take the wheel off and take a better look. I couldnt see the catcon heat shield very well

Will update soon!

GinkoSolutions.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...Almost sounds like engine knocking , until warmed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
guyg
guyg will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
2007 VUE 3.5L

I am leaning towards motor mounts, I have a similar issue and after researching related threads I have new mounts to install, just need some time.
I will post the results, just don't know when.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
guyg

1997 SW2
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
Have you replaced the motor mounts ever?

I have 2006 Red Line with 165,000 and just replaced my mounts. I had a front end knocking during start up so I ended up changing my mounts (which solved my problem). Before the knocking noise got bad I had noticed a vibration at around 40mph for quite a while. I always thought it was the transmission because I had read about torque converter issues and so on. So around 100,000 miles I changed the trans fluid for the first time (mistake) and every 10,000 after that. The vibration seemed to get better, but it never really went away after I started maintaining the trans fluid on a regular basis. When I changed my motor mounts the vibration I had always noticed went completely away! The car seems like new.

So if after trying all this other stuff and you still have an issue, try changing your mounts.

Take care
I also have this 40-50 mph growl at low rpm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the feedback.

I am planning on changing the timing belt and water pump in a few days. I need to remove an engine mount to access the area for this job.

Are there any things to look for visibly in a bad mount? I have noticed the car shudders when shifting into reverse. They are $100 a pop on rock auto (but $8.25 at the junker), so i wanted a good way to check them for both reasons!

GinkoSolutions.com

Last edited by seansaturn; 11-21-2019 at 06:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #8
guyg

1997 SW2
2007 VUE 3.5L

I have been picking them up on Amazon "used", which they are not, for half price or better when they have become available. I have 3 of 4, just waiting to get the left side trans mount. I may not need all but this way it will be done complete. This place has the best price on the front (radiator) mount
https://sdparts.com/i-24089224-acdel...-15801384.html ,which is oil filled and I think where the problem may be as per my thinking the oil warms up, increasing pressure, and the noise goes away.
The other mounts you can pretty much see if they are torn or worn out. The S series were notorious for worn mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyg's Reputation
Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Guy selling 04 on CL says his vue has been making noises for several yrs. says it seems to get louder when you drive. Maybe it needs mounts? He wants 700 for it.
I paid 400 for a similar one last yr that had bad starter. Sold it in 2 days for 1700

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote