SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Georgie
Georgie is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Possible starter issues on 07 3.5L AWD V6

I recently experienced some trouble starting my 07 VUE during a somewhat fresh morning (54F) and was not able to. I was able to unlock it with the remote, the headlights came on, all my dashboard lights came on but it did not start. I ended up trying three times before she finally started and I was able to get to work.

Today, I went to my local auto parts store and had the 4 year old battery tested, they said it was good and only needed charging. I took it out of my VUE and had then charge it for little over 45 minutes.

After putting it back in the truck she did the exact same thing, all dashboard lights on bu no crank. The guy at the auto parts store said to look into the ignition starter switch located in the steering column. He also suggested it may be the starter going bad.

What do you guys think?
Where is the starter located in a 07 3.5L AWD VUE?
Is it hard to replace?
What else should I troubleshoot?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Georgie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Georgie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Possible starter issues on 07 3.5L AWD V6

Starters are always located under the engine on one side or the other. If you examine images of starters and the three terminals on the starter solenoid, you'll see a typical configuration; the inner large terminal is never touched, the outer large terminal has two cables, battery power and a smaller wire to extend battery power to the alternator. A smaller terminal holds one small gauge wire. This is the START wire, either from the ignition switch or a starter relay in the engine fuse box. A quick and simple test for an intermittent/worn out starter would be shorting the starter solenoid outer battery terminal to the smaller terminal. This bypasses the entire starting system and powers up the starter immediately. A screwdriver or short wire jumper is all that's needed. The ignition switch should be OFF if you're under the car for safety. Either the starter runs and tries to start the engine or nothing. There will be some arcing as the starter solenoid uses about 5 amps - it energizes and pulls out the starter gear to engage the engine flywheel before battery powers the starter motor. It's difficult to determine if a starter is worn out unless this jumper results in dead silence or loud clicking (the solenoid powers up but the starter motor fails to run). Mileage is one factor, frequent short trips is another. Starters can fail in as little as 50k miles or last well over 250k miles. Intermittent operation requires eliminating battery, battery cables and starting circuit from a worn out starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Possible starter issues on 07 3.5L AWD V6

...You can take the starter out and bring it to your local autozone to run it through a load test to see if it has gone bad, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote