SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Rekrab
Rekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the rough

Default 05 Vue Cooling fan running all the time + thermostat question (P0128)

2005 Vue, 2.2L, 5 speed manual transmission. 196,000 miles.

The cooling fan is always on when the engine is running; it turns on when I start the engine and turns off when I turn off the engine. I checked the High Fan relay and Low Fan relay. High Fan is the one thats always on. The relay is fine. I swapped relays around with no change. The high fan relay is always receiving a signal to run when the engine is running.
The wiring schematic shows the signal to the relay comes from the ECM. The information that I have says the ECM commands to fan on when the coolant temperature exceeds approximately 237 F, but my OBD2 reader shows that it runs at 170 F.
Other than a bad ECM, is there something else that could cause this? I first suspected a bad temperature sensor, but my OBD2 seems to get accurate real-time temperature data. Maybe there is more than one sensor; one for the fan signal and another for the ODB2 data?

Also, there is another problem. I have code P0128, thermostat stuck open and engine doesnt get up to temp. I do not think this is true. The temp gauge currently runs at between 1/4 and 3/8. I'm not sure what it ran at before the code. I guess I never paid it much attention and it could have always been ran like this. Ive been monitoring coolant temp with my OBD2 reader and it warms right up to 170 F and stays there. It seems like I have a 170 F thermostat and it is working fine. What temp is this supposed to run at?

I assume these are not related. The fan being on would result from the temp being too high, and the code results from the temp being too low. It does not seem like the temp sensor could say that the temp is too high triggering the fan on, too low triggering code P0128, and give accurate information to my OBD2. But, maybe they are related. Maybe there are 3 different sensors. I obviously do not know. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rekrab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rekrab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rekrab is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 05 Vue Cooling fan running all the time + thermostat question (P0128)

1- The engine uses several temperature sensors; coolant, air temperature, ac compressor (on some models), xmission and if auto climate control for automatic temperature control like home thermostats for heating and cooling. The EFI system monitors the engine coolant sensor for itself as well as drive the temperature gauge. Readers display engine coolant temps.

2-P0128 points to the thermostat running lower than normal. The cooling fan running is most likely the EFI system program detecting an error in coolant temps, regardless of higher or lower than normal temps and turns on the cooling fan as a safer way to ensure if temps are higher than normal, run the fan to prevent overheating. Check specs for your t-stat, it may be 180F, 185F, 190F or 195F.

I had the same error code, P0128 for my L300, and replaced the t-stat. Winter running seemed to take a little longer for heater use otherwise the engine was fine. Apparently the EFI system must have coolant temps run in a narrow range to maintain emissions. With this error code and states requiring emissions inspections, this fails emissions requirements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Rekrab
Rekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 05 Vue Cooling fan running all the time + thermostat question (P0128)

Thank you very much. I will replace the thermostat in the next week and let you know try results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rekrab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
Beasleylou
Beasleylou is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Temperature seems low to me as well. Mine consistently runs about 185 at highway speed and will maybe spike to 195 or so when idling after a long drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beasleylou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beasleylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Rekrab

Sounds good. I ordered a thermostat and o-rings today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Rekrab

I replaced the thermostat today. It solved both issues; the cooling fan is off and the code is gone. Using my obd2 for real time data, it ran at 185 F while idling for 10 or 15 minutes and it was running at 190 F while driving it around.

I used all GM AC Delco original parts (180 F thermostat and o-rings).

Also, I did the thermostat job from underneath the vehicle. I did not disconnect the exhaust manifold from the engine as described in the procedure. From the bottom, it was not necessary. I only had to remove the exhaust manifold heat shield, which was easy. Two nuts on studs.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
dr_phillgood
dr_phillgood is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

This is good information. Thank you for giving us an update on your thermostat repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dr_phillgood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dr_phillgood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dr_phillgood is offline   Reply With Quote