SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Is there a single component that can be the cause all 6 plugs to misfire?

2007 Saturn Vue 3.5

I had a mechanic run a diagnostic on it, and he said there was erratic misfiring on all 6 cylinders.

Is there one component that can cause this?
Is it possible for all 6 coil packs to be bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is there a single component that can be the cause all 6 plugs to misfire?

It isn't likely for all six individual plug coils to fail all at once or even intermittently. There are error codes to point to individual coil failure. If every coil acts intermittently then it may point to coil wiring or ecm. And if going along this line of thought then injectors should be considered too. Not likely coils or injectors. Injectors might be considered if crap fuel is used in more than one tank fill. Ecm? Maybe but that's getting ahead of diagnosing this problem without GMs scantool for advanced diagnostics generic readers aren't capable of.

Some areas to consider common to general misfiring; loss of compression, valve timing, maf sensor, and fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Is there a single component that can be the cause all 6 plugs to misfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
It isn't likely for all six individual plug coils to fail all at once or even intermittently. There are error codes to point to individual coil failure. If every coil acts intermittently then it may point to coil wiring or ecm. And if going along this line of thought then injectors should be considered too. Not likely coils or injectors. Injectors might be considered if crap fuel is used in more than one tank fill. Ecm? Maybe but that's getting ahead of diagnosing this problem without GMs scantool for advanced diagnostics generic readers aren't capable of.

Some areas to consider common to general misfiring; loss of compression, valve timing, maf sensor, and fuel pressure.
ok, this has gotten weirder. the Vue only has 80k miles, but I figured what the heck, i'll get the plugs changed. the plugs that came off it weren't original denso plugs. someone had swapped them out with ac/delco's.
so the motor runs smooth now. BUT... now I have both the large and small evap codes being thrown.
is there something a mechanic could mess up just from changing plugs that would throw those two codes?
oh and I should probably mention, I had him inspect the timing belt, which requires the caps at the end of the cams to be pulled, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not familiar with 3.5L Vues so cannot comment on timing belt inspection procedures. With a twelve year old Vue and less than 100k miles on it, the evap codes may be age and/or corrosion related. Live in the salt belt? Mechanic new to you? If spark plugs were not replaced with recommended plugs, going off on a whim or hearsay can sometimes create new problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not familiar with 3.5L Vues so cannot comment on timing belt inspection procedures. With a twelve year old Vue and less than 100k miles on it, the evap codes may be age and/or corrosion related. Live in the salt belt? Mechanic new to you? If spark plugs were not replaced with recommended plugs, going off on a whim or hearsay can sometimes create new problems.
plugs were correct iridium denso's.
the Vue is from Florida. I drove it here about a month ago.
when I took it to the mechanic, there were no codes being thrown.
mechanic is new, but a lot of people from where I work use him, as he is across the street from us.
coincidences happen, but there were no codes when I dropped it off at the mechanic's garage, and two when I picked it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

so I took it to GM to get it checked for misfires, etc.
they said there was a very minor history of it, but that the new plugs had solved the problem.
it sucks that I had to pay twice for the scan, but whatever, it's ok now.
I replaced the gas cap, which cleared the big and small evap code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!