SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Vuegreenline
Vuegreenline is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line (Hybrid) 12V battery not charging redux. Also, cut wires

I know others have brought this up, but there seems to be no resolution. What I am really trying to figure out is if it's the alternator-generator or the BECM - or something else. A technician can take hours diagnosing, and still get it wrong. I would rather spend my limited funds on an actual repair. The battery is new, and takes a charge. The car runs and drives fine, it's just that the 12V battery is not charging, and will run down. There are cut wires near the alternator, which obviously could be causing the problem. I was originally going to splice the same colored wires together, but they don't even match up. Some are the same color, most are not. Which makes me think the wires went to another module or sensor, but I don't notice anything in the area. There are not too many of these cars around, otherwise i would ask a stranger if i could look under the hood of their 2007 Vue Green Line. Can anyone on this board look under their hood and take a picture, or tell me where these wires go? BTW, I have access to a voltmeter and OBDII scan tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1971.jpg (105.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vuegreenline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vuegreenline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vuegreenline is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line (Hybrid) 12V battery not charging redux. Also, cut wi

The cut wires are from a recall back in 2008. The connector and harness that is connected to the starter generator is a replacement for the cut off wires during the recall. The belt is ok? You need diagnostic trouble codes to diagnose. The battery energy control module is likely bad, The newer updated BECM had a short harness 1' and with an extension harness that connected to the body harness near the back of the left rear door, if you buy from a bone yard get the new module with short harness and extension harness, the fan also has a different connector and will be needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Vuegreenline

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line (Hybrid) 12V battery not charging redux. Also, cut wi

Thank you, Bern. I spoke with the seller today, and he finally told me that he bought it that way, and it ran fine. The problems started when he changed the battery. I did some work on it today to try to find out if the alternator-generator is actually working, as I don't like to replace parts that work. Since the cables from the alternator-generator are not exposed, I didn't know how to test the output, so I took everything apart so I could put my voltmeter on it.
See pics. I turned the engine over and measured the voltage on the three black, white and red cables. The voltage on my crappy-but-functional Harbor Freight meter varied from about 19 to 22VDC. The voltage on either side of the MEGA black fuse was 14.1V. The voltage on the blue cable going back to the hybrid battery (which was replaced under recall in 2010) was 41V. The 12V battery was of course 14.1V. Then, after a while, I heard a change. The engine sounded different, more muted somehow. The voltage on the alternator-generator cables dropped to 2.3 to 3 volts. The MEGA and 12V battery voltage dropped to 12.2V, and the blue cable to the hybrid battery varied between 12 to 22V. Obviously, the 12V battery was no longer charging; I was running the engine on the 12V battery, and voltage was dropping fast. What I still don't know is if the problem is the alternator-generator, the BECM, or something else. I suspect it's the BECM, since it's the most expensive part, and I can't find any used ones. However, this article:
underhoodservice.com/power-assist-servicing-saturn-vue-hybrids
points out that malfunctioning temperature sensors in the hybrid battery can cause the BECM to 'shut down the system,' meaning the charging voltage from the alternator-generator. Oh, yeah, here are the codes I'm getting:
U0111, P0AFB, and U1897. U0111 is 'lost communication with battery energy control module A,' and P0AFB is 'Hybrid/EV battery system voltage high.' After a brief search, U1897 is also 'lost communication with battery energy control module.' Tomorrow morning I plan to turn over the engine and see if the battery charges for a while before failing. Is there any way I can be sure it's the BECM, or the temperature sensors in the battery pack, or something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1979.jpg (118.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1980.jpg (107.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1981.jpg (129.1 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Vuegreenline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Vuegreenline

Funny story: the 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line, 12V battery not charging issue is fixed. For now, anyways. I hate intermittent problems. Anyway, I took everything apart, as seen in my previous post, to check voltages, although in the end it didn't do me much good, as I still didn't know what component failed. I also turned the car on every morning, and later in the day, when it was warmer, to see if it was a temperature issue. The first time it failed, as noted in one of my posts. But then the voltage stayed up. I checked it for the next couple of days, the voltage stayed up, first going to 14.5VDC, then after a minute or less settling at 13.9-14V. I have read in other posts that some issues, like battery not charging, are "fixed" by jiggling wires. I must have jiggled the right wires taking while everything apart. The fix remained when I put everything back together. I also installed a voltmeter, to the right of the ignition switch, so I could monitor the voltage while moving. I tapped into a red wire going to the ignition that was only energized when the engine was on. I drove the car to town, even the hybrid system was working, the green 'eco' light coming on, and the dial indicator moving right or left at the appropriate times. I did notice that the TC (traction control) off light came on a couple of times, after which the hybrid system stopped working, but the 12V battery voltage was still up. Fine with me. I certainly don't expect it to keep working forever. The nature of intermittent problems is that they always come back at the worst possible time. But so far so good. Thanks again, bern, for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1984.jpg (82.1 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Vuegreenline

Update: the 'fix' did not last long. A couple days later, the battery stopped charging. It ran down so much that my engine started vibrating, like it was going to stall. That's when the voltage got to around 11.9V. But wait! If I turned the key off, then restarted, the voltage got back to 13.5V. Or even 13.9V. But it didn't necessarily stay there. So far it seems to be random,
like a true intermittent issue should be. I may have to find a mechanic to help me figure out which component needs replacing. If anyone knows a good one in the San Diego area, preferably north county, please message me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Vuegreenline

Well, it's back to working, and has been for the last few days. I've gotten about 22 to 23+ MPG, filling up after a bit over 100 miles. Who knows how long it will last, but sure glad I installed the voltmeter. If I had to do it over again I would have installed it in a different location, on the left side, so it would be visible without craning my neck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!