SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Is there a preferred coil pack for 3.5 Vue?

Prices are all over the place on these, and the multiple coil pack kits are especially cheap.
So I wonder, is this something important enough to go with the original equipment supplier?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is there a preferred coil pack for 3.5 Vue?

Anecdotal info to help you decide or confuse you some more. In the Astra forums some years ago, members were asking the same question. At the time, Astras were relatively new but as issues occurred, ignition system questions were asked. Specifically, new oem Astra ignition cassettes/coil packs were priced around $400(!?). Chinese aftermarket ones went for around $80(?). Afraid to try 'cheap' knockoffs, most reluctantly went with oem. Only a few tried the aftermarket replacement and never complained. Unfortunately, many members never follow up on their repairs to comment. Nothing was ever reported about these low cost replacements. The ones trying the low cost replacement stated for the low cost, they can buy several coil packs and have replacements, cheaper than the cost of one new oem part.

I bought an aftermarket ignition coil pack for my L300 for less cost compared to oem. No issues with it. You choose what you feel comfortable with as there's no such thing as staying with oem parts. Here's one good reason.

In the forums with members having the universal 2.2L 4 cyl engine, there are reports of failed ignition control modules, the finned aluminum box sitting in the coil pack over the engine. More icm failures occur than coil packs. Go figure. Heat from the thermal expansion cycles of engines with the ignition system sitting on top of the engine? No rhyme or reason for icm failures. They just fail. Several years pass before they fail. Failures occur randomly. My coil pack failed after 16 yrs...... The other one is still original and my car now has 108k+ miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

The part about being able to purchase plenty of spares for the same money, makes good sense.
I see that the Autozone Duralast is about half the price of Denso. And it comes with lifetime warranty, too, whereas the Denso only comes with one year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was interested in Astra owners dilemma when their ignition coil packs were outrageously over priced. For whatever reason, A replacement Duralast forever alternator failed one week after installation in a Nissan Sentra. A-z made good on the lifetime replacement policy and even tested the second one on their in-store tester to be sure it was working before handing it to me. I've replaced alternators on my car and others over the years and never had a failure like this. Random bad luck?

With a lifetime replacement policy and reasonable price, each of us have to weigh the pros and cons of either oem or aftermarket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I was interested in Astra owners dilemma when their ignition coil packs were outrageously over priced. For whatever reason, A replacement Duralast forever alternator failed one week after installation in a Nissan Sentra. A-z made good on the lifetime replacement policy and even tested the second one on their in-store tester to be sure it was working before handing it to me. I've replaced alternators on my car and others over the years and never had a failure like this. Random bad luck?

With a lifetime replacement policy and reasonable price, each of us have to weigh the pros and cons of either oem or aftermarket.
Well Autozone obviously has the parts made by major companies. I know for instance that their purge valve solenoid for a 2009 Aura is made by Bosch... it actually says Bosch on the part. So just by virtue of having so many hands in the pot, they're going to have their failings here and there. But like you said, they honor the warranty which makes it worth the gamble imho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

I should have mentioned earlier that I took the Vue to a mechanic who ran a diagnostic on it, and he said that all 6 cylinders had erratic misfiring.
Is there a single component that can be the cause of this?
Is it possible all 6 coil packs can be bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!