SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
joeperil
joeperil is on a distinguished road

Default Dropping out the glove box

Hi folks..

I read on this forum the thread about adding a cabin air filter and thought I might try it someday. Well, someday is now more like this weekend since it also seems that my HVAC blower is also on the fritz and needs to be be pulled out and changed.

So, I tried to remove the glovebox by pushing in the sides to bypass the plastic stop tabs (see photo with red circle) that keep it from opening all the way. I recall reading it is somewhat difficult to do, but with the amount of force I am using I am worried about breaking or cracking the glovebox plastic! Having a hard time and so I thought I would ask advice here of anyone that has done this successfully. I was trying to push in one side at a time to bypass the tab stops but even after barely clearing the stop tab, the box does not seem to open further. (And yes, I did remove the cable on the right side also at one point too..).

Any advice? A couple of pics... Do I need to remove the 3 screws at the bottom at all as well? I tried these and it seems there must be other screws behind the glovebox holding it in -- perhaps that I only might be able to get to if I could somehow get it open 180 degrees.

--
--

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joeperil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joeperil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joeperil is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #2
tol82go24
tol82go24 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: Dropping out the glove box

Those tabs are very hard to push in and get both to clear but it can be done. I also added the cabin filter and on occasion I have to pull the glove box all the way open to change the filter. Once both sides are clear the glove box will swing down. Dont forget to remove everything from the glove box or it will be ejected when it swings down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tol82go24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tol82go24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tol82go24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Here's a video, hope it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pd4FfXd8lc

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
joeperil
joeperil is on a distinguished road

tol82go24 and imaddicted2u, thanks for the advice.

I am going to try again this weekend. Hopefully I won't crush the inner part of the glovebox! So I guess just squeeze in the sides really hard to drop the door open past the normal stopping point, and then I can access the blower motor behind it -- or take out screws to remove the glove box entirely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joeperil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joeperil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joeperil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Couldn't help myself...had to go take it apart...took some pics.
Pretty easy...
Open glove box, empty it...like tol82go24 said...
Release the string on the right side by pressing down so it pops out of the keyhole...(It's spring loaded so will want to snap towards closed)
Push the left side of glove box towards the passenger side, while pulling it down. You will feel it clear the holding catch...
Push the right side of the glove box towards the driver side, while pulling down. Once the tab clears the catch you will be able to remove the glove box hinge tabs from the slots. There are no screws...
Reverse to reassemble...
Hope it helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_175430.jpg (115.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_175435.jpg (112.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_180052.jpg (131.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_175850.jpg (60.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_175904.jpg (72.0 KB, 2 views)

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote