SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
pillagenburn
pillagenburn is on a distinguished road

Default 3400 or 3800 v6 in a vue?

Has anyone heard about a 3400 or 3800 v6 being put into a vue? Curious if it could be made to fit (I know 3400 came in the equinox of the same years).

The idea being that you get six cylinders in a format that is way more compact than the Honda v6 but still makes north of 200 horsepower and has a timing chain instead of belt.... and probably better fuel economy (and I realize that GM timing chains can be crap if you don't keep up with maintenance)

Would also be curious if it could be made to work with the Saturn 5-speed.... even though I'm sure that getrag transmission would be at the limit of what it can hold and you'd have to upgrade the clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pillagenburn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pillagenburn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pillagenburn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 3400 or 3800 v6 in a vue?

...I thought about an LS motor from a monte ss or impala ss , that would be fun at a stock 300hp or so, then start bumping it up in power, I'm sure you could find a donor vehicle, online, just my .02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
pillagenburn

I thought about the LS4 too.. only thing would be the complexity of the electronics. The idea behind the 3400 or 3800 would be that you could get something insanely cheap that you could also bolt a f40 tranny up to.

The 3400 equinox has an ECU that I think uses the same plugs as our vues so at most you'd need an engine harness but it would be relatively plug and play. The only issue would be the f40 transmission and linkages (maybe)

2005 Vue (150k on body):
2.2L L61 from 2006 Monte Carlo (43k mi)
5-speed (150k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pillagenburn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

I saw a vw golf with a caddy north star and 4t80 trans and the hood closed. I own a 3400 nox now and kid has 3.0 vue. Never crossed my mind to put 3400 in vue. Had a Honda vue, sc Grand Prix and considered getting a SS TB. The v8 sound is nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:31 AM   #5
pillagenburn

The idea would be a 3400 with a stick shift for folks with ecotecs like myself. Might still throw some codes though.

Maybe even a 3800 or other pushrod v6. This wouldn't be a supercharger candidate necessarily, just extra power and reliability on the cheap in a (maybe) easy enough swap.

2005 Vue (150k on body):
5-speed (150k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

i just meant to say almost any motor can be stuffed in any car. i have done 3 headgasket jobs on 3 different noxes. its quite easy. lots of room. i have pulled the heads on a 3.0 vue. harder than a nox as it has the ohc stuff to mess with. but you want a manual trans. which i am not fond of. i dont think a suv can be made to feel nimble as it is high center of gravity and a stick is not going to do anything about that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
pillagenburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
i just meant to say almost any motor can be stuffed in any car. i have done 3 headgasket jobs on 3 different noxes. its quite easy. lots of room. i have pulled the heads on a 3.0 vue. harder than a nox as it has the ohc stuff to mess with. but you want a manual trans. which i am not fond of. i dont think a suv can be made to feel nimble as it is high center of gravity and a stick is not going to do anything about that
Yeah stick in a SUV can be strange however in my 2.2 Vue I quite like it. My Vue feels very car-like to me anyway which I think is why I like the stick shift.

The point i was trying to make was really that you'd end up with a super reliable pushrod motor and a super reliable manual transmission on top of that for very very little money

2005 Vue (150k on body):
5-speed (150k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
jnoonfelt14
jnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the roughjnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the roughjnoonfelt14 is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 AURA XE

TBH, if your going to that much work, you might as build on an existing 2.2 Ecotec 5 speed Vue and supercharge or turbocharge it. If you go for a different engine, you'll need at least:

-custom motor mounts to connect the new engine/trans to the subframe
-new cables/linkage and shifter assembly to connect the shifter to the trans
-piggyback computer to work with the new engine/trans and also work with the stock computer so you can keep BCM accessories/tasks like the gauges, climate control, electric power steering, etc.
-custom CV axles with the correct length and splines, and maybe even beefed up depending how much torque the new engine puts out

Point is it'll be a ton of work vs. modifying an existing engine that came with the car. I'm not saying don't do it, but I don't want someone to go into something as big as this and then change there mind after they spent thousands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnoonfelt14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnoonfelt14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnoonfelt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
pillagenburn

Maybe not with the 3400 since the equinox came with a 3400... the idea being you might be able to use the 3400 equinox motor mount and a manual transmission.... and equinox engine harness and equinox ECU

maybe.......

2005 Vue (150k on body):
5-speed (150k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!