SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
pillagenburn
pillagenburn is on a distinguished road

Default New Vue Owner, looking for advice on struts and other stuff

Hey all,

I'm a new Vue owner - I got a 2005 2.2 ecotec Vue with 150k on it and an extremely blown up engine. I stuck a 43k mile motor out of a 2006 Malibu in it. It's a 5-speed and the transmission appeared to be OK so I threw it back in there.

I just got it fully driveable and noticed the struts aren't so hot - I'm wondering if the springs on these hold up also or do they generally last the life of the vehicle....

or while these are out is there a spring/strut combination or kit that you all recommend?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pillagenburn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pillagenburn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pillagenburn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: New Vue Owner, looking for advice on struts and other stuff

...I believe Monroe makes a strut mate kit that's a bolt in /out deal , then get it aligned, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Numerous posts about people using quick struts and then the ride height being off. Or maybe that was for the Redlines? I don't remember, but the springs should last a long time so no need to replace them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

On my 2003, I replaced the shock strut portion only, I re-used the springs mounts, etc..

Front wheel bearings replaced, they started to growl pretty bad. I tow my Vue behind my motorhome so the bearings have about 40k miles more than the odometer says

Consider replacing brake hoses at same time you do the struts. (at least the fronts) these are a weak point and cause brakes to drag.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Beasleylou
Beasleylou is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I actually had a broken spring on my 05 in the rear.

It was over 200k when I discovered it and it had been running with low-to-no dampening for lord knows how long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beasleylou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beasleylou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Beasleylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...Nobody makes a quick strut for the RL , when I replaced mine I resused the spring only,bought kyb's and the strut mount with new, as for a regular vue ,I would go with the quick strut. If you reuse your spring and just buy the struts, make sure you replace the strut mounts also, you have it apart already . That way there's no question about them binding on turns or popping noises.DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote