SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
DrewMac11
DrewMac11 is on a distinguished road

Default Gauge cluster needles.

Hey all, since my purchase of my used 2007 Saturn Aura, (around 3 months ago) I noticed that the needles on my gauge cluster were out. Not a big deal as I was able to see the needle by the light of the actual speedometer numbers.

Last night, however, I noticed my fuel/temp gauges were almost completely out (a small amount of light probably 20% of the brightness they used to be) then something very strange happened. My needles intermittently would flash on and off... Just curious if this is a common issue? Is there something I can do to fix this (from what i've read on here the gauge cluster is a huge hassle)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrewMac11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrewMac11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrewMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
DrewMac11

Default Re: Gauge cluster needles.

A new problem has sprouted also, not sure if its connected or not. I decided to clean the battery terminals on my Aura. When I restarted my car... I now have no radio and no turn signal sounds...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DrewMac11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
DrewMac11

A new problem has sprouted also, not sure if its connected or not. I decided to clean the battery terminals on my Aura. When I restarted my car... I now have no radio and no turn signal sounds...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Things to check for the radio...
Check the Radio and Onstar fuses in the Instrument panel fuse box.
Check the amplifier fuse #13 in the rear compartment fuse box.
Body control module controls the radio. I posted some info on that in this thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=radio

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

I don't think your two issues are related.
Gauge cluster lighting is a common issue. The lights are LEDs so not a plug and play repair.
I posted some info in this thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...hlight=cluster

There are some repair services listed in this search, perhaps ask your GM dealer who they use for repair and return services. Don't buy a used cluster, it will display the mileage from the previous vehicle and the odometer will no longer count up. The Aura clusters are locked to the original VIN and are not programmable:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=saturn+aur...&t=ffab&ia=web
New clusters are still available:
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...;t=MH2;m=ZZV69)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
DrewMac11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Things to check for the radio...
Check the Radio and Onstar fuses in the Instrument panel fuse box.
Check the amplifier fuse #13 in the rear compartment fuse box.
Body control module controls the radio. I posted some info on that in this
Thanks for the reply. Looked at all of the fuses. Cycled them and tried new ones in them. No luck. I will try the BCM see if that fixes the issue. I will post later with results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
DrewMac11

Tried applying some dielectric grease to the BCM connector and pushing it in and out before seating it. Nothing. I am very curious what happened. My radio was working great before. No issue at all. I was worried about corrosion on my battery prongs so I cleaned them, Once reconnected I had this issue. I am stumped!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

It is possible that the radio went in to theft lock mode when the battery was disconnected. (even though it doesn't display that it is locked)
"THEFTLOCK® is designed to discourage theft of the
vehicle’s radio. The feature works automatically by
learning a portion of the Vehicle Identification Number
(VIN). If the radio is moved to a different vehicle, it does
not operate and LOC, LOCK, or LOCKED could display.
With THEFTLOCK activated, the radio does not operate
if stolen."
If you haven't already I would disconnect the + and -cables from the battery. Then touch the + and - cables together (not on the battery) for a minute to ensure all circuits and capacitors are drained. Then reconnect them to the battery and hope for the best.
If that doesn't work, it seems that you have checked all the possibilities that you can do yourself.
Your next step would be to take your car to a GM dealer to have it scanned with their TechII tool.
All the electronic modules, including the radio, are locked to the VIN of the vehicle. Hopefully they can reprogram it or unlock it and not have to replace anything.
Another link I found:
https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/5i...turn-aura.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Some more info:
My Son works in a garage and looked up this problem...here are some of the things suggested fixes...
Under '07 Aura
-Remove the radio fuse for 30 minutes in case of logic lock.
-disconnect battery for 25mins to reset logic ckt
-RR Amp fuse, reinstall radio now ok
-We replaced the radio assy with a used unit, keep in mind if you do that certain models will require that the radio be reset at the dealer, which will result in an extra charge.

Under '08 Aura
-there is a lot of people needing a scanner to reset or reprogram the radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Do Auras have a dimmer control to vary instrument panel lighting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Do Auras have a dimmer control to vary instrument panel lighting?
Yes, there is a dimmer potentiometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!