SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default How long can a/c leak?

My new four seasons compressor creates at least a drop of visible dye leak under the compressor a day but still blowing 40F when itís over 90F 2 months later.
I think Iíll leave it as is just to see how long it goes.

-Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49D6C506-904F-4400-8A9F-A5E9EA9638DF.jpg (160.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg A635B0A3-DAE8-4421-9DDC-903A2074060D.jpeg (8.9 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How long can a/c leak?

Is that leak emanating from the rear scroll control valve cover?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

My 2006 has a leak at the compressor near the scroll valve. It has been that way for about 3 years. We get about a season in AZ before we have to recharge. My mechanic has quoted me about 2K to replace it with a kit (not just the compressor). Also said we can buy a whole lot of freon for the same amount and you would probably won't get your money back from the repair vs constant recharge before you get rid of the car.

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

In my case I only need to request the warranty exchange with amazon and a couple hours of my time to swap.

Yes itís via the scroll valve plate.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
JosephN79
JosephN79 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Not to crash the thread, I donít mean to. I have a 2004 3.5, my ac slowly got weaker until finally itís no cool air. I figure there is a leak. My cousin is a mechanic and a few years ago put a tester on it and said something like ďhigh pressure going in and low pressure going out. I guess before and after compressor. He mentioned a scroll valve possibly as well.

Iíd still get cold air if my rpms were up, but now nothing. I tried a recharge can just now. The pressure shows green, almost yellow really, but no cool air. Possibly this valve? Or some other clog in the system? I realize itís been empty for a while and probably a mess inside the system. Any thoughts on what I could do, or just donít have ac anymore? Itís basically my utility vehicle now, but some cool air when itís hot would be nice. Lol

Thank you. 😎

Also... I do hear the compressor come on and a ďhissĒ noise from the dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JosephN79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JosephN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

JosephN79, your system may be trash if you refilled with sealer. Did you use a refill kit containing sealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

Iím not sure at the moment, but I believe it mentioned it helped leaks. I havenít had AC in a couple years, it was just a shot I took. 👀

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JosephN79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check to be sure. If you still have the refill canister, read labeling. If you tossed the empty canister, you might remember which one and can identify it the next time you return to the same store. Read labeling. Sealer is never recommended. If it was so good at repairs then auto manufacturers would have included it at factory assembly. No vehicle manufacturer uses it because they know it contaminates and ruins systems the moment anyone, dealer/repair shops/diyers attempt repairs. Once a system is opened, sealer reacts to air and moisture to create a hardened seal. In a quick fix, injected into a system, it circulates everywhere and reacts to moisture where the leak occurs to seal from within. Not only does it not work but any air and moisture in a system also causes sealer to react so passages, thermal expansion valve, fittings and hoses may wind up being sealed or partially blocked preventing free flowing refrigerant from circulating. Since none of these refill kits offer a money back guarantee, everyone using it simply gambles on creating more damage than paying for professional repairs or at the least asking on forums how to repair ac at home while the canister manufacturers and distributors make money on ill advised quick fixes.
Even one site run by pros in the mvac industry will advise diyers - ackits.com.

Almost every GM ac system has dye from the factory to allow anyone to find the leak first, using an inexpensive uv blacklight sold in most auto stores. Expensive ones illuminate more area but the inexpensive ones do the same job to illuminate dye in a dark garage, after sunset outdoors or at night. Finding the source of the leak is first and foremost then a decision can be made about repairs and who does it.

If sealer was used, there's no guarantee of replacing the scroll control valve will fix this problem as you're dealing with possible sealer damage to the system while attempting to replace a valve. The system is opened and empty of refrigerant to replace parts. Then another decision is made whether to diy at home using an electric vacuum pump and gauges borrowed from AutoZone or paying a shop to perform the technical work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
JosephN79

2004 VUE Red Line

Thanks for all the info! 😎

Yeah itís probably trashed then. It seemed to take at first, but then it just built pressure. If I squeezed any in, pressure would go up, not fluctuate like it was circulating it.

I had hit a deer a year and a half after I bought it, it was on the front driver side, and I think thereís some AC components there. I donít feel the insurance company fixed it correctly, as a line looks like it was simply ďbent backĒ into place, thatís if deer damaged it. I can see some green/yellow coloring on my lines. The system was probably totally empty and Iím figuring had atmospheric air and moisture.

Like you were saying, I think, once I put the coolant in, it reacted with air and moisture inside and probably clogged it up, which is why now it wonít take anymore.

Itís only a big deal when itís hot as balls. I have a new car I just like to keep miles off of. Itíll be cooler in a month and I wonít cook in here. 🥵

Thanks again, I didnít know most of what you posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!