SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Vue Lifespan

2006 2.2L 5 Speed Manual with 177k checking in. Wondering if someone can tell me if I'm spending good money on bad.

I really don't want a newer car for a variety of reasons. Timing just isn't ideal and I'm not sure what would best serve my needs today is going to be best for tomorrow. With that said, I've had the Vue for 4.5 years and while it's fine, I don't have an attachment to it. I'm looking at my maintenance and I know yet even more is on the horizon. This year has been rough with issues. Here we go:

Purchased at 95k in 2014 and since replaced (starting with oldest repair to newest):
-Plugs/ICM/coil pack
-O2 sensor + wiring harness
-Front sway bar links
-A few sets of front rotors/pads (why do these warp so quickly?)
-A couple sets of tires (needed this soon after purchase)
-2 wheel bearings
-Rear struts

Issues I've let go:
-DRLs don't work anymore
-A/C is OK...not great but not horrible
-Ignition Key Cylinder - The key can come out while the car is in 'Run'
-Minor body damage
-Passenger seat sensor issue
-Various squeaks/rattles (I tracked some down, others no luck)

Current Issue:
-Awful front-end clunk. Almost certainly will need new struts, maybe new strut mounts and sway bay links

I haven't done much to the front-end and no work to the manual trans or engine (both are original including the clutch). I burn some oil, but keep it topped off with regular changes. The shift cables need to be replaced as I observed the graphite shavings.

I'm not particularly handy and since moving away from my home state, have limited help with repairs. As a result, I'm in it for around $750 for the two wheel bearings and rear struts this year. I feel like I'm forgetting something but I expect to be out another $750 for the next issue.

If the issues I've let go are a safety issue, I'll need to get those fixed as well. If not, it's going to be continued to get ignored. I'm all about cost averaging, and I think I'm in this for around $7k+ over 4.5 years. That's not bad, but another $750 and a major trans or engine issue would take me to closer to $300 per month which puts me in a newer car.

Can I throw another $750 and expect a year or two unhindered or is there likely a slew of other things coming my way? I know it's not possible to say for sure but interested in hearing your history.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Vue Lifespan

I've consulted my magic 8 ball. It says you will pay for a car in one way or another.

A newer car has a payment. An older car has repairs. Only you can choose the path you want.

In other words, figure out how to do some repair work or pay for newer vehicles. Getting a leased vehicle guarantees no repair issues, out of pocket at least.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
adam22
adam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the roughadam22 is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I guess I already knew the answer. The car's known for burning oil, eating wheel bearings, and a touchy front end. Given the burning is not too bad, it's probably worth further suspension work.

I hear these stories of people 'supposedly' driving cars with literally no maintenance for years and i get a bit envious. Not sure it's actually the case or not, but it would be great.

I'm mostly concerned with monthly cost averages. If I'm spending $300 total cost of ownership (5k car + 5k repairs in 3 years for example), I'm spending the same driving a 13 year old car vs. one that is 2-3 years old. Since I'm looking at a third shop visit in five months, the math is starting to suggest moving on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adam22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adam22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
redlinevue
redlinevue will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam22 View Post
I guess I already knew the answer. The car's known for burning oil, eating wheel bearings, and a touchy front end. Given the burning is not too bad, it's probably worth further suspension work.

I hear these stories of people 'supposedly' driving cars with literally no maintenance for years and i get a bit envious. Not sure it's actually the case or not, but it would be great.

I'm mostly concerned with monthly cost averages. If I'm spending $300 total cost of ownership (5k car + 5k repairs in 3 years for example), I'm spending the same driving a 13 year old car vs. one that is 2-3 years old. Since I'm looking at a third shop visit in five months, the math is starting to suggest moving on.
I am indeed one of the "lucky" ones.... I have had my 2004 Saturn VUE (3.5 FWD) since it was rolled off the lot with 8mi on it.... I now have over 200,000 mi and its just now starting to give me trouble.

When I first got it, I had some warranty stuff done (Window motor regulator, bezel around stereo, A piller warping ... silly stuff) ...

In 2010, it had its first and, to date, only MAJOR repair, the AC Compressor.

Timing belt has been done ONCE (at 145,000mi) at which time I also did spark plugs.

In 2013, the cooling overflow tank was replaced.

All in all I can't complain about this car! It seems however over the last year, the car is starting to show signs of 'needing' stuff... so for fun I sent some of my oil in for one of those tests (attached) and the car seemed to do pretty good!! I don't understand 100% of this report but the comments seemed positive for an engine so old.... Now just to decide what to do with the car... fix it or find something else I like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil report.JPG (130.7 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redlinevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redlinevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redlinevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

The key falling out of the ignition will be fixed for free at any GM dealership. At least it was on my two 2007s.

They'll replace the ignition switch and you get a pair of shiny new keys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote